Discuss Scratch

Houchdj
Scratcher
39 posts

Bring back stretch effect

change [ stretch] effect by (25)
I think that stretch will not interfere with size this time, because I believe flash is less limited than squeak
SuperSmashScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't think there ever was a stretch effect on Scratch.

Bush hid the sig
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

About 5 years ago there was.

rolledpie41
Scratcher
58 posts

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

It is now this is 2.0.
undefined (10)
This is 1.4.
change stretch by (10)

MapleSyrup911
Scratcher
83 posts

I was thinking something like this
set [left v] stretch to ()%::looks

set [right v] stretch to ()%::looks

set [top v] stretch to ()%::looks

set [bottom v] stretch to ()%::looks
this would stretch a single side, and smoothly unstretched as it gets to the other side of the sprite. You could recreate your version by stretching two opposite sides.

Edit: I made a project showcasing how it would work. The block, of course, would have more granularity.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/391961640/

Last edited by MapleSyrup911 (May 5, 2020 05:55:08)

What would you say if I was trans?
Haha, just kidding!

Unless?
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch's rendering engine supports stretching, I think. It has a side effect of flipping the sprite for a negative stretch value, which is pretty cool

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
dogeiscut
Scratcher
500+ posts

Full Support!

peanut
Goodthingsaregood66
Scratcher
100+ posts

There actually WAS a stretch block, in the March 2005 beta of scratch!
*Get ready for the original color of the effects section*
change stretch by (10) % :: #ff2400
Yup! the color of the effects section was red originally!

Fact of the week:
The idea of a “beep” block dates all the way back to Logo Blocks.
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support.

And yes, I understand that there is another topic where people are talking about having a rich, fully-developed set of commands and features that would change various dimensions of a sprite but this topic should not be considered a duplicate. Its just focused on bringing back the two historical Stretch blocks.

Which already exists in Scratch 3.0. There are place holders for the set stretch and change stretch blocks in Scratch 3.0. (Visible in this project https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/508511932/

Also, the rendering engine of Scratch 3.0 can already stretch sprites. (See Sheep_maker’s post from above).

It should not take that much Scratch Team discussion or development team effort to re-enable the two stretch blocks and I don’t believe doing that would in any way close the door to someday having an Scratch extension with the full set of dimension altering blocks that have been suggested in other topics.

Giving us back these historical blocks would introduce a fun block for beginners to tinker with and use creatively.

It’s this high tinkering-around-with value that makes me reject the counter argument that people could just make a load of costumes for their projects.

Scratch is about cultivating creativity not producing skilled graphic artists. I tried making a set of costumes in a 3.0 project to simulate something that I had enjoyed making while tinkering with the stretch block. It was not fun to make these costumes in the paint editor and it did not turn out well.

Please Scratch Team, re-enable the historical stretch blocks.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bump

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

withermicci19
Scratcher
100+ posts

they still talking about how they're still on flash lol, 2014 moment

I see no problem with bringing this back, other than that you can do this manually in the costume editor. Anyway, support

Epic I have the 100+ post gamer rank now my opinion is fact because I'm verified on scratch.mit.edu bow down to me non plus peasants

I come to the forums to learn and to take a break from making projects. A lot of my replies will be half joke, so bear with me lol

(-^-)

This is Birb. He is chill. Be like Birb.
Schmoopy_11
Scratcher
60 posts

they should bring the block back.
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

I need to make a correction. In a project that I mentioned above I said you could see the stretch block in action if you downloaded its Scratch 1.4 version and if you also had the Scratch 1.4 application.

However, it's no longer possible to download older versions of projects, so, I modified my project to use costumes instead of the stretch block. It was ugly work to make the costumes. After about 1000 mouse clicks and movements I ended up with the 40 or so costumes used by the project. And so the project works but pretty much unchangeable since I'm not doing that graphic work over again.

If we had an actual Stretch block I think beginners would tinker with it in their “animate a name” projects. People would use it to grow trees, or make the hungry fish get longer instead of just bigger, or make a platformer project, or combine it with other effects by just tinkering and then seeing what they can make.

My “platformer project with a stretch block” is here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/508511932/

gplb2718
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bump and support

Last edited by gplb2718 (Jan. 13, 2024 00:41:00)

i am a nerd