Discuss Scratch

Princesse_Princeps
Scratcher
100+ posts

Help to Create an Ambitious Free Fantasy Setting for all Scratch Users!

REPLYING TO ALL: I like the runes and what Clarence said. Should I write this down somewhere? I'll make a doc. Does anyone want to start moving on? Not everyone has to, but I feel like we should also finish deciding on a draft map.
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

clarence112 wrote:

calulord wrote:

clarence112 wrote:

-snip-
The material the runes are made out of is what transfers energy into the magical field, with metallic thaumium being the most efficient.
-snip-
I think that if we were to adopt a rune-based magic system, then the material the runes are made out of should have a great deal of importance, to highlight the natural resources of certain regions in their magical practices, like I mentioned in my idea.
OK, how about this?

• The material the runes are made out of is what transfers energy into the magical field.
  • The efficiency of the energy transfer depends on the specific material and the effects of the resulting spell.
  • While the language the runes are written in doesn't matter that much, older languages typically yield better efficiencies.
  • Pure materials perfectly suited for the required spell typically achieve efficiencies of 75%.
  • Like electrical resistors, inefficient runes convert wasted energy into heat.
  • Metallic thaumium is the only material that can be used for any rune-based spell, but it rarely exceeds 50% efficiency.
  • Mixing other materials into metallic thaumium yields the best possible efficiencies at ~96%, but drastically loses efficiency for spells that don't align with the added material.
I was more think of something where the materials used to make the rune in part determines it’s effect.

LilyHorse
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is a really cool idea! Great job so far!

I need a new signature-thingy.
Maybe it was eaten by an evil something-or-other
Anyway, I'm LilyHorse!
Also anyway, do this! vvvv
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Princesse_Princeps wrote:

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't been getting any notifications.
HELLO, IS ANYONE THERE? NOBODY'S BEEN ACTIVE ON THIS FOR QUITE A WHILE.

StrixCattus
Scratcher
100+ posts

REPLYING TO ALL: I like the runes and what Clarence said. Should I write this down somewhere? I'll make a doc. Does anyone want to start moving on? Not everyone has to, but I feel like we should also finish deciding on a draft map.
Yeah, we should start thinking about a few other aspects now that we have the basics of the magic system.

Generation 3: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

W A L L F I S H
clarence112
Scratcher
500+ posts

StrixCattus wrote:

Yeah, we should start thinking about a few other aspects now that we have the basics of the magic system.
Here's our current list of requirements for a map:

Geography:
dwarven kingdom / northern mountains
southern orc river-villages
eastern forests
western orc towns

Is there anything that we know hasn't been put on it yet?

I'M the evil kumquat!
Want to help out with world building? Click here!
OH, DID U GET THE BROOM CLOSET ENDING? THEB ROOM CLOSET ENDING WAS MY FAVRITE!1 XD
Check out Byte, my W.I.P. scratch-inspired pygame IDE
620 posts as of Nov 7, 2019, 11:56 AM EST

calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

There is a process that I think we should follow for creating the various cultures in the world.

1. Geography
What natural resources do they have? What is the climate like there? The land? Is it landlocked or surrounded by seas? Who are it's neighbors?

2. History
Why and who might people settle here? What might people need to do to survive here? What beliefs and ideals would form as a result? How did the government, economy, etc. develop? How old is this society compared to it's neighbors. How might they react to the existence of this culture? So on and so forth.

3. Culture
How are things going now? What event or changes are currently happening?

Last edited by calulord (March 24, 2019 14:45:22)

Princesse_Princeps
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

calulord wrote:

There is a process that I think we should follow for creating the various cultures in the world.

1. Geography
What natural resources do they have? What is the climate like there? The land? Is it landlocked or surrounded by seas? Who are it's neighbors?

2. History
Why and who might people settle here? What might people need to do to survive here? What beliefs and ideals would form as a result? How did the government, economy, etc. develop? How old is this society compared to it's neighbors. How might they react to the existence of this culture? So on and so forth.

3. Culture
How are things going now? What event or changes are currently happening?
I think we should begin initially with just the basic geography (make sure that's all correct) then move onto constructing the history and culture of the world. I think based on the world pieces we have so far, it might be nice to go for a colder, northern climate- I mean, we've got mountains, forests and rivers.

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

calulord wrote:

-snip-
I think we should begin initially with just the basic geography (make sure that's all correct) then move onto constructing the history and culture of the world. I think based on the world pieces we have so far, it might be nice to go for a colder, northern climate- I mean, we've got mountains, forests and rivers.
That's what I was suggesting with that. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

Edit: Speaking of which, assuming the An-canes are going to be accepted as cannon, I think we should start my determining one area as the first place of settlement for them, to get an idea of how long each region's culture is in relation to each other. The farther they are from the first place, the younger they'll tend to be.

Last edited by calulord (March 24, 2019 18:49:18)

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hello everyone.
I'm going to be taking a long break from scratch and will therefore not be able to run this collaboration. If anyone else wishes to take control, you are welcome to, however you may want to make a new thread so that you can update the OP.

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hello everyone.
I'm going to be taking a long break from scratch and will therefore not be able to run this collaboration. If anyone else wishes to take control, you are welcome to, however you may want to make a new thread so that you can update the OP.

!!
calulord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hello everyone.
I guess we need to figure out a way to decide.

clarence112
Scratcher
500+ posts

calulord wrote:

Hello everyone.
https://www.strawpoll.me/17682133

I'M the evil kumquat!
OH, DID U GET THE BROOM CLOSET ENDING? THEB ROOM CLOSET ENDING WAS MY FAVRITE!1 XD

homeuser3
Scratcher
100+ posts

clarence112 wrote:

calulord wrote:

Hello everyone.
I voted for clarence112 because they seem like they could to the job.

scratchtivist
Gman70theYoutuber1
Scratcher
1 post

Name: Garrett/Gman70
Activity: I am on scratch working on misc projects daily
Job: I am good and any sort of menu making or I can help with background code.
Examples: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/277563879/
clarence112
Scratcher
500+ posts

clarence112 wrote:

calulord wrote:

Hello everyone.
Has everyone that's gonna vote voted?

I'M the evil kumquat!

--Fyre--
Scratcher
100+ posts

clarence112 wrote:

clarence112 wrote:

calulord wrote:

Hello everyone.
Has everyone that's gonna vote voted?
Let’s wait a little longer

Princesse_Princeps
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ack sorry for not being on for so long? Does everyone actually want to do this? I really do and I show good leadership skills. I'll be more active on my other accounts (Reine_Regina and -Willa-) so maybe I could start it from there if I get chosen? Please choose me!!!!

Anyway, we should still work, so:

Gman70theYoutuber1 wrote:

Pending. What do you guys think?

Oh! Wait! Could we just be like a council of leaders with no one person to lead? It would be easier and do we really need a leader? If we must have one, I would like it to be me, but otherwise I'd say Clarence, I guess.
--Fyre--
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ack sorry for not being on for so long? Does everyone actually want to do this? I really do and I show good leadership skills. I'll be more active on my other accounts (Reine_Regina and -Willa-) so maybe I could start it from there if I get chosen? Please choose me!!!!

Anyway, we should still work, so:

Gman70theYoutuber1 wrote:

Pending. What do you guys think?

Oh! Wait! Could we just be like a council of leaders with no one person to lead? It would be easier and do we really need a leader? If we must have one, I would like it to be me, but otherwise I'd say Clarence, I guess.
I like that idea!