Discuss Scratch

finnb4513
Scratcher
100+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

No support for removing NFE projects, but support for “May Reduce Computer Performance.”
Just because a project is rated NFE, it doesn't need to be removed. An NFE project can vary from a little use of mild profanity in a song to extremely inappropriate artwork or derogatory messages. Besides, NFE projects do not show up in search results. But also, who would test how laggy a project is? A project may lag on a MacBook Pro, as well as on a $300 Chromebook, so what would be considered a “slow” computer?
Scratch is for everyone, so if there's a project that's not meant to be seen by everyone, it divides the community into “People Who Are Allowed To See NFE Projects” and “People Who Are Not Allowed To See NFE Projects”. Scratch isn't a place that's meant to promote discrimination. NFE projects don't show up on search results, yes, but let's say griffpatch made one. A whole lot of people would see that. And let's say some guy spammed links of that project on a lot of popular profiles. A whole lot of people would see that.
True.
If griffpatch made an inappropriate project, a lot of people would see the project, but they could also choose not to do so. An NFE warning could help there. I also don't see any discrimination over people who can and cannot view NFE projects, but I could be wrong.

i play osu / terraria / apex legends
this is me on osu
my profile.
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

Semi Support, I don't really care, but I do think that some people might care about it and might get upset.
Also, what about projects remembering people or animals that have died? Would they be taken off? If they will, I'm going to have to say No Support, sorry, that would be really upsetting to people who just want to remember friends or pets that died.

moved accounts lol
BaconAndEggs1School
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

Regarding the master post, I'd recommend getting rid of that quote chain or at least replacing it with a fictional scenario if you want to illustrate your point. While that was admittedly a poor way of handling the argument, the way it's being used here borders naming-and-shaming.

(As for the suggestion itself, this is one of the most interesting ones I've come across from a moral perspective and I want to read more from both sides of the issue before giving a firm opinion. I totally get how the whole “for everyone”-“not for everyone” contrast is odd yet I feel like I'm liable to being a hypocrite regarding this subject )

sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

No support for removing NFE projects, but support for “May Reduce Computer Performance.”
Just because a project is rated NFE, it doesn't need to be removed. An NFE project can vary from a little use of mild profanity in a song to extremely inappropriate artwork or derogatory messages. Besides, NFE projects do not show up in search results. But also, who would test how laggy a project is? A project may lag on a MacBook Pro, as well as on a $300 Chromebook, so what would be considered a “slow” computer?
Scratch is for everyone, so if there's a project that's not meant to be seen by everyone, it divides the community into “People Who Are Allowed To See NFE Projects” and “People Who Are Not Allowed To See NFE Projects”. Scratch isn't a place that's meant to promote discrimination. NFE projects don't show up on search results, yes, but let's say griffpatch made one. A whole lot of people would see that. And let's say some guy spammed links of that project on a lot of popular profiles. A whole lot of people would see that.
True.
If griffpatch made an inappropriate project, a lot of people would see the project, but they could also choose not to do so. An NFE warning could help there. I also don't see any discrimination over people who can and cannot view NFE projects, but I could be wrong.
NFE means Not For Everyone. While Scratch is for everyone. Why does content limited to certain people exist in a platform for all people?
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

KJRYoshi07 wrote:

Semi Support, I don't really care, but I do think that some people might care about it and might get upset.
Also, what about projects remembering people or animals that have died? Would they be taken off? If they will, I'm going to have to say No Support, sorry, that would be really upsetting to people who just want to remember friends or pets that died.
Projects remembering people or animals that have died are okay, when it's not inappropriate (such as contains a bad word, in that case it should be unshared by the Scratch Team) and does not make people remember about something that isn't for everyone. I mean, why wouldn't it be okay?
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

BaconAndEggs1School wrote:

Regarding the master post, I'd recommend getting rid of that quote chain or at least replacing it with a fictional scenario if you want to illustrate your point. While that was admittedly a poor way of handling the argument, the way it's being used here borders naming-and-shaming.

(As for the suggestion itself, this is one of the most interesting ones I've come across from a moral perspective and I want to read more from both sides of the issue before giving a firm opinion. I totally get how the whole “for everyone”-“not for everyone” contrast is odd yet I feel like I'm liable to being a hypocrite regarding this subject )
I like how you call it a master post. I'll do that too. I already got rid of the quote chain from the master post. Though I get confused with mentions of “borderline this” and “borderline that.” I don't get which side of the border it is. And if it's right on the border, than what's the conclusion? Alright, offtopic ends here.

So yes, I'm very open in suggesting things, except when doing so doesn't benefit me. I'm surprised people haven't suggested this before.
finnb4513
Scratcher
100+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
NFE means Not For Everyone. While Scratch is for everyone. Why does content limited to certain people exist in a platform for all people?
I do know that NFE means Not For Everyone. Content is not really limited to certain people, as anyone could click the green flag. But the content is not front-paged or found in search results. Like I said, I don't see any discrimination over people who can and cannot view NFE projects.
Your idea is good in theory, but I don't think it will work in practice. The projects on the website should not be so that a toddler can see most projects completely unscathed. Not all projects need to be rainbows and sunshine, but truly inappropriate projects need to be removed.
Therefore, I change my opinion to partial support.

Last edited by finnb4513 (Nov. 17, 2018 15:20:21)

this is me on osu
my profile.
SuperDoom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

No support for removing NFE projects altogether. The whole reason NFE is in place is for projects that may have gotten out of line a little, but not enough for them to be removed. In fact, the stuff in NFE projects is the kind of stuff you'd see in PG-rated movies, which are often directed at children; or at least are okay for most kids to watch.
Semi-support for something that comes up when you view a project marked NFE for having performance issues, lag, etc. - maybe something that says “This project has some performance issues and/or lag and may not work, especially if you have a slow computer.”.
Do you have proper evidence that NFE-rated content would be rated PG by the ESRB?

sti_scratch wrote:

Do you have proper evidence that NFE-rated content would be rated PG by the ESRB?

sti_scratch wrote:

NFE-rated content would be rated PG by the ESRB?

sti_scratch wrote:

rated PG by the ESRB?
Rated PG.

By the ESRB.

You’re confusing your rating systems.

WARNING: Anything I post is either stupid, sarcastic, or ironic. I am not to be taken seriously. Feel free to make fun of me for anything I say.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
essentiallibertyisfreedomofspeech~Benjamin Franklin (This is my motto for replying to suggestions.)
As of 83G1NN1NG/0F/71M3, I use color #322F31 for my posts. If it's a link, I use #1AA0D8.
CLICK THIS LINK TO INSTANTLY CRASH THE SERVERS
Alexa, play Space Invaders.
As of November 7th, 2019, I have my computer back.
I'm awake from 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM CST (12:00 PM to 12:30 AM EST). Please be more active during that time.
I've moved to -THENEXT_LEVEL-.
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

Ding, dong, your opinion is wrong!
No support, because.. like.. seriously. removing NFE? Just.. no.

sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
I do know that NFE means Not For Everyone. Content is not really limited to certain people, as anyone could click the green flag. But the content is not front-paged or found in search results. Like I said, I don't see any discrimination over people who can and cannot view NFE projects.
Your idea is good in theory, but I don't think it will work in practice. The projects on the website should not be so that a toddler can see most projects completely unscathed. Not all projects need to be rainbows and sunshine, but truly inappropriate projects need to be removed.
Nobody ever said that FE projects are all rainbows and sunshine. What I'm saying is that if Scratch is for everyone, why does the NFE tag still exist? Scratch is targeted for people 8-16, so at least 8-year-olds should be allowed to see all projects. And if the NFE tag exists, people that the project isn't intended to be watched by can still click the green flag, no matter what, so well, that's something at least one parent has blocked a kid from Scratch for.

Last edited by sti_scratch (Nov. 17, 2018 23:37:19)

sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

SuperDoom wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

No support for removing NFE projects altogether. The whole reason NFE is in place is for projects that may have gotten out of line a little, but not enough for them to be removed. In fact, the stuff in NFE projects is the kind of stuff you'd see in PG-rated movies, which are often directed at children; or at least are okay for most kids to watch.
Semi-support for something that comes up when you view a project marked NFE for having performance issues, lag, etc. - maybe something that says “This project has some performance issues and/or lag and may not work, especially if you have a slow computer.”.

sti_scratch wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

NFE-rated content would be rated PG by the ESRB?

sti_scratch wrote:

rated PG by the ESRB?
Rated PG.

By the ESRB.

You’re confusing your rating systems.
ESRB is the organization that rates things. PG is a rating category established by the ESRB.
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

Ding, dong, your opinion is wrong!
No support, because.. like.. seriously. removing NFE? Just.. no.
“Just.. no” is not a valid reason. This is a discussion forum, not a ballot box. And I never said to remove the NFE status. Read the whole thing. I said that anyone (even the people the game is not intended to be played by) can still press the green flag (if provided with a link or of the person just simply looked at the maker's profile), and that's probably something that moms have banned their kids from Scratch for. And don't put “Ding dong, your opinion is wrong” because you don't have concrete, straightforward evidence to support that. Even if you cross it out, it's still there. You have this backspace button. But anyways, if you really don't mind when people say that to you: Ding dong, your opinion that my opinion is wrong is wrong!

Last edited by sti_scratch (Nov. 18, 2018 01:18:08)

finnb4513
Scratcher
100+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
Nobody ever said that FE projects are all rainbows and sunshine. What I'm saying is that if Scratch is for everyone, why does the NFE tag still exist? Scratch is targeted for people 8-16, so at least 8-year-olds should be allowed to see all projects. And if the NFE tag exists, people that the project isn't intended to be watched by can still click the green flag, no matter what, so well, that's something at least one parent has blocked a kid from Scratch for.
The NFE tag still exists in order to protect the young from harmful projects appearing on the front page and in search results. It's similar to that of restricted mode on YouTube. Not all games and movies are for everyone, and so are a (large) handful of Scratch projects.
Nevermind about all of my nonsense on this topic.

Last edited by finnb4513 (Nov. 18, 2018 01:04:26)

this is me on osu
my profile.
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
The NFE tag still exists in order to protect the young from harmful projects appearing on the front page and in search results. It's similar to that of restricted mode on YouTube. Not all games and movies are for everyone, and so are a (large) handful of Scratch projects.
Not all projects are for everyone. That is true. Let's see the targeted age range for Scratch: 8-16. If a project isn't meant to be seen by 8-year-olds but is still able to be shared on Scratch (even if it's NFE'd, just look at the maker's profile and ta da there's the project), that defeats the purpose of Scratch targeting that age range. Just remove all projects that aren't even allowed to be seen by everyone within the 8-16 age range.

Last edited by sti_scratch (Nov. 18, 2018 01:21:06)

finnb4513
Scratcher
100+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
The NFE tag still exists in order to protect the young from harmful projects. It's like restricted mode on YouTube. Not all projects are for everyone.
Restricted mode is optional and when it is enabled it blocks you from seeing harmful projects (though it's ten miles away from perfect). The NFE tag doesn't prevent the project from being seen by certain people, it only makes it harder to be seen but still able to be seen. “… in order to protect the young from harmful projects” isn't really true, you could visit a profile of someone random and see that NFE project whatever it is.
I have to admit I'm wrong there.
I give up.

this is me on osu
my profile.
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
The NFE tag still exists in order to protect the young from harmful projects. It's like restricted mode on YouTube. Not all projects are for everyone.
Restricted mode is optional and when it is enabled it blocks you from seeing harmful projects (though it's ten miles away from perfect). The NFE tag doesn't prevent the project from being seen by certain people, it only makes it harder to be seen but still able to be seen. “… in order to protect the young from harmful projects” isn't really true, you could visit a profile of someone random and see that NFE project whatever it is.
I give up.
Alright, anyways, do you support?
zafzaf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

I know I said I wouldn't reply to this topic, but I did anyway. Look, leaving a conversation is not “rage quitting”. It was very disrespectful to put the quote chain in your OP, and call it “rage quitting”. I left the topic because I was aware, that if I kept going, It would probably turn into a flame war, because I'm a silly, triggered person. I didn't want to end up being disrespectful to you, just because of a suggestion, alright? I still don't support it, but I don't really care about this topic. And I'm not going to hold a grudge on you. I mean, we have different opinions, and that's okay! I'll probably still make FNaF stuff, but if it gets removed, then oh well. I'm starting to post FNaF stuff on Steam anyways. And to be nice, I'll follow you.

Last edited by zafzaf (Nov. 18, 2018 05:37:48)

“that's life, goofball, sometimes you lose people. sometimes you lose people you care about. and you never see them again. and the worst part is, you never even get a chance to apologize to them for letting them down.”

give me an internet so I can feel better about myself

StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

Support, if a project isn't suitable for 8-16 year olds, then why are they still on here? I think the owner should still get the option to correct their mistake and retry to share it. Now I know from experience that a lot of teens this day and age aren't that appropriate, so it's a little blurry the line that they would have to try and fix. Surprisingly there are a lot of 8 year olds, from my experience, that are worse than some teens… So it's really kinda hard to judge projects in that aspect…

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
finnb4513
Scratcher
100+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

finnb4513 wrote:

True.
I give up.
Alright, anyways, do you support?
Not really. I don't mind if this gets implemented or not.

this is me on osu
my profile.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CLOSED SUGGESTION

It’s like a PG rating, it’s a warning, not an immediate action to remove the project.

Anyways, most NFE projects are not dangerous to the Scratch community, more often, politically charged projects cause more harm than NFE.

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella