Discuss Scratch

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A New Way to See Exact Post Count of Other Users (See Description)

You know how when you hover over the time a user joined Scratch it shows the exact date the joined?

What if when you hovered over the “100+ Posts,” “500+ Posts,” or “1000+ Posts” text of any user it showed the exact post count?

Let me know what you think!

woah, haven't been on here in a while
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. This could be useful for finding your amount of posts without going to my topics/posts.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, this is an interesting way to see exactly how many posts a user with 100+, 500+, or 1000+ posts might have. While it's not exactly an important thing, it can still be mildly interesting (and for some reason I enjoy things that are mildly interesting).

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, it would be really nice so I can organize things you probably don't know about.

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bumpity

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I believe the reason why the Scratch team originally didn't show the exact number was due to people competing. Wouldn't this still be a problem?

Witty signature.

FutureBlack16
Scratcher
76 posts

powercon5 wrote:

I believe the reason why the Scratch team originally didn't show the exact number was due to people competing. Wouldn't this still be a problem?

As per above.

This would cause more scratchers to make more unconstructive posts in order to beat scratchers post count or reach a goal. Cons might outweight Pros.

This is a nice suggestion idea, but i don't think this should be implemented to Scratch.

ᖴᑌ丅ᑌᖇᗴᗷᒪᗩᑕᛕ

I try to be as respectful & helpful in Scratch forum as possible, i avoid using “Support” or “No Support” when i'm posting on suggestion forum, and i'm trying to make my posts as new scratcher friendly as possible by linking to an ITopic. I take care of necroposting, thread hijacks, etc. If you have any suggestions how to improve my posts and make my posts more helpful, be sure to click “Criticize my post” and leave a comment suggestion down below. Your feedbacks will help me to be more helpful in Scratch forum.
Community Guidelines - New scratcher? Tips here. - What is Scratch? - Criticize my posts
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! It would be quite interesting to see other Scratchers' post counts!
I'm using my touch keyboard since my actual keyboard is broken, so sorry for any grammar errors.

moved accounts lol
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I like this idea
Can't really phrase anything else well, so I'm just going to leave it at that

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

Semi-support.
I like this idea, but it's definitely not necessary and I feel like most of us would get around fine without it.

powercon5 wrote:

^^ This as well. I can only imagine something like the following going down:
Person 1:I have 567 posts! Try to beat me.
Person 2:*spams a forum* ha, I have 570 posts now.
Person 1:oh yeah? *spams forums*
Or just even someone with 500+ posts as their post count (who actually has 550) and seeing someone else 500+ posts as their post count, and hovering over it to see that they're almost to like, 800 or something. It kind of makes Scratchers with the same displayed post count look unequal, and one of them looking for inexperienced with a lower exact post count.
Sorry if anything is unclear, I was having trouble phrasing some of the things.

Last edited by BelieverGirlSun (Sept. 15, 2018 14:18:54)

~About Me~Light the Sky AMV~Lost and Found Loop ~I Want You Back Original MEME~Washi Tape Designer~Y Stand Drawing Process ~
~Main Profile (or click my picture to the left)~Side Account~Old account~

I had 1000+ posts on my old account, and had that account for two years, so even though I don't have that many posts, I have tons of experience on the forums and on the website. :)
I rarely post that much anymore, you may see me posting here and there but otherwise I'm usually not on the forums that much anymore. :P
Please don't take offence from any of my posts, the way I talk IRL is really sarcastically and I tend to transfer that to the way I talk on Scratch. So if I ever say, “Dude, you had to quote all that?” or “Say why you support next time, please”, I do not have any intention of being rude, I'm just trying to help.
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

To everyone saying there can be competition. It is already a thing.
Person 1: I am gonna get 1,000+ posts first!
Person 2: No I am!
Person 3: Too bad for you two, I already got 1,000!

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

To everyone saying there can be competition. It is already a thing.
Exactly

--Waterfall--
Scratcher
500+ posts

I mean, honestly, it has no use but since it's a pain to have to go to the posts page to see your exact number of posts, it would be easier if this was implemented. So, support.

--_Nova_--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's really no different than putting a screenshot of your total post count in your signature. Competition can be highly discouraged, and even without this feature real post counts could be found out. Spamming can just result in a forum block and can already go down:
Just insert a name here: I'm gonna get 1,000 posts! {spams a forum}
Also insert a name: IM GONNA GET 1,000 POSTS FIRST! {also spams}
Just insert a name here: No, I am! {spams harder}

And so Just insert a name here and Also insert a name spammed the forums even without knowing each other's exact post count because 1k posts is shown publicly. Spam and competition is inevitable.

So support I guess

and also us ocd kids would be happy

KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

--_Nova_-- wrote:

It's really no different than putting a screenshot of your total post count in your signature. Competition can be highly discouraged, and even without this feature real post counts could be found out. Spamming can just result in a forum block and can already go down:

And so Just insert a name here and Also insert a name spammed the forums even without knowing each other's exact post count because 1k posts is shown publicly. Spam and competition is inevitable.

So support I guess

and also us ocd kids would be happy
I know right

moved accounts lol
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

--_Nova_-- wrote:

BelieverGirlSun wrote:

Person 4: *reports those 3 people for spamming in the forums*
But anyways, just report those people if they spam too much on the forums.

Last edited by LuckyLucky7 (Sept. 17, 2018 10:57:56)

I have about 3450 posts, 90 shared projects, 180 total created/followed topics, and 425 followers.

--_Nova_--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

-snippity-
-snip-
technically that would be 6 people, 7 counting the one teasing he already has 1,000 posts in the first quote

anyway I do have something to add directly but I have absolutely no idea how to phrase it so i'm just going to leave it at right now

and I assume we've decided that spamming can just be reported and spam levels shouldn't change too much since post counts are shown publicly to an extent?

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

--_Nova_-- wrote:

BelieverGirlSun wrote:

But anyways, just report those people if they spam too much on the forums.
Me and –_Nova_– were saying it could already be done XF

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

The reason that post counts were made “fuzzy” in the first place was to de-emphasize the importance attached to the post count - to prevent spamming for post count. We don't want people focusing on “the numbers” - but rather working to make quality posts that encourage meaningful communication. I see no real benefit from making it easier to see the exact number.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;