Discuss Scratch

technolaurie
New to Scratch
3 posts

Replacing sprites

Sometimes when creating a script I may decide that I'd like to change the sprite. However, it isn't as simple as replacing the sprite. Will this become an option with the final release?
As a workaround I add a new sprite, then copy the script from the old one and paste it to the new one, before deleting the undesired sprite.
Parnikkapore
Scratcher
100+ posts

Replacing sprites

Um… are you trying to change the costume? In that case the “add costume” button is now a blue circle on the bottom of the costume list.

Edit: What do you mean by “change the sprite”??

Last edited by Parnikkapore (Sept. 13, 2018 11:09:47)

Keep Scratching,Make awesome projects, and surprise the Scratch Team

Check out my star project(WIP!)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/107638687/#editor
technolaurie
New to Scratch
3 posts

Replacing sprites

No, not the costume, actually change out a character. Maybe I have a dog and I want to change it to a bird or something else. I may have all the scripting done, but decided I want a different sprite.
run_script
Scratcher
100+ posts

Replacing sprites

technolaurie wrote:

Sometimes when creating a script I may decide that I'd like to change the sprite. However, it isn't as simple as replacing the sprite. Will this become an option with the final release?
As a workaround I add a new sprite, then copy the script from the old one and paste it to the new one, before deleting the undesired sprite.

This is already an option, and was so in Scratch 2.0 as well. Here's how to do it in Scratch 3.0:

1. Go on the ‘costumes’ tab of the sprite you want to change
2. Hover over the blue button at the bottom of the list of costumes
3. Click the magnifying glass icon (this should say ‘choose a costume’ when you're hovering over it.
4. Choose a different sprite from the library and add as a new costume
5. Delete the original costume

Why does Scratch 3.0 need to be improved?

Well, there are five problems with the current version:

The block size problem – The compatibility problem – The hacked blocks problem – The font problem – The sound editor problem

Find out more here in this forum topic: Don't hate Scratch 3.0, help to improve it!
technolaurie
New to Scratch
3 posts

Replacing sprites

Thanks so much! It's obvious now that you've told me.