Fishy_Boi12
New to Scratch
5 posts

removing the automatic credit

Rendangbike2 wrote:

dhfbei8987 wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

What's automatic credit?
For remixes, the automatic thanks message.
So that banner on top for the remixes that says
“Thanks to griffpog for the original project griffpatch pog”?
I didnt Give credits to everyone
bigbigbigeeveefan
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support. Whenever someone is asked to give credit, they just say “But it gives credit at the top

The automatic credit should not give anyone an excuse not to give credit themselves.

I agree with you mate.

Hi, I'm bigbigbigeeveefan, you'll often see me in discussion forums like this one, or making fun projects!
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bigbigbigeeveefan wrote:

The automatic credit should not give anyone an excuse not to give credit themselves.

I agree with you mate.
Why? It's credit, and without it, countless remixes would be breaking their own license. What's the point of crediting someone for the original project twice?

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

So that banner on top for the remixes that says
“Thanks to griffpog for the original project griffpatch pog”?
Yes. Many people don't consider it sufficient credit (probably because of the ambiguous “Be sure to give credit when you remix” in the Community Guidelines), which is why this suggestion was made.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
CoolLionMan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

if they implement this the total amount of copied projects on the site will go way up, it won't fix much because new scratchers will still not know and it will cause a huge amount of confusion, a better suggestion instead of removing the auto credit thing completely would be just showing a pop-up that says to give credit in the notes and credits, no support

I choose these Links for a specific reason, if you're a Zelda fan then you might know why

you can not stop me from putting Oshawott in my siggy

dhfbei8987
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CoolLionMan wrote:

if they implement this the total amount of copied projects on the site will go way up, it won't fix much because new scratchers will still not know and it will cause a huge amount of confusion, a better suggestion instead of removing the auto credit thing completely would be just showing a pop-up that says to give credit in the notes and credits, no support
What about if it's shown at the BOTTOM of the page?

An advocate for, well, a lot of stuff.

TODAY's hot debate topic: Should we return in-person or no?

The semicolon is back, but not because it's April fools.

proud owner of shadesofllfe, a namesnipe.

Oi Boiz Im 87th 70th in suggestions!

In a world where a majority are against me…
I STAND TO FIGHT BACK AN PROVE THEM WRONG!!!
An animation, to release in a few months…

500 posts yay!
1000 posts WOOHOO!
LEARN HOW TO MAKE A THUMBNAIL HERE

My WIWO might be a trend?!!!

Working on my website.

How Did I acquire @cheddagirl's old Signature???!!!!!

9gr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No Support. I do not want people taking credit from what i worked really hard on.
TheGlassPenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. People could just copy a project by remixing, and say they made everything.

There's a reason that the automatic credit exists. To quote an article I read a while back:

Article wrote:

…some Scratchers were upset when their projects were remixed, complaining that others were “stealing” from them. That led to discussions on the forums about the value of sharing and the ideas behind open source communities…Now, when someone remixes a project, the site automatically adds a link back to the original project, so the original author gets credit.

It also can't be done for reasons with the license Scratch projects are licensed under:

bybb wrote:

All content made by users and OC uploaded to Scratch is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license as per section 4.3 of the Terms of Service.
Attribution is required or it is a violations of local and international copyright laws.

Last edited by TheGlassPenguin (March 18, 2021 14:57:50)

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you were to remix a project and rework only parts of the project before sharing it, this feature serves as a handy way of stating that your project is heavily based off another person's project and giving the original project (and its creator) their due credit.

If you were to remix a project and pretty much rewrite it from scratch (which I'm not entirely sure why you would do so), or if you just wanted to get rid of the automatic credit and make your own mention in the description (which probably rarely happens), then you can just download the project file, open a new untitled project, and upload the file. Then it would show as your own without the automatic credit for the original project creator.

TL;DR: It gives credit where it is due. In the rare occasion that you don't consider the automatic credit necessary, there's a pretty simple workaround for it.

Of course, people shouldn't make a remix and use the workaround to leave due credit out.

7500+ posts (19th)
samq64
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The only time this is useful is when your moving projects between accounts, in which case you should just save them to the computer and upload them to your other account instead of remixing. Plus the automatic credit makes it so the creator of the original project gets credit even if the remixer forgets to give it.

No-Support