Discuss Scratch

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

>>>>>>>>>>> READ BEFORE POSTING: What goes in the Other Languages forum? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have seen a high amount of things in this forum that should not be here so I decided to create this guide.
Here you should create threads for languages that are not listed in the menu at the end of this page. If your language is not listed there then your language should be in a thread in this forum. Check through the pages of this forum to see. If it is not there create a thread for your language. These threads are used to discuss scratch in different languages.

But read this guide before creating a thread:

What should I NOT post here?
1. Duplicate topics
If there is already a thread for your language do not post another. Looking through this forum I have found 9 discussions for the Irish language. Post in a thread that is already there if there is one already there. Even if the thread is five years old still use that one. Necroposting is ok in this forum. It is best to keep the conversation all in one place.

2. A language you made up
You might have made up your own language with your friend. Unfortunately, this is not a place to discuss a language you made up. It is for the convenience of non-English speakers. Please be respectful to them.

3. Spam
Spam does not go in any forum. Do not advertise your projects or blockspam. This forum is for the convenience of non-English speakers. Please be respectful to them.

4. Any language that already has its own forum
Go to the end of this page: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/ . There is a list of languages that already have their own forum topic. If your language has its own forum use that.

5. Extinct languages
Please do not create a thread for an extinct language such as Latin. It will get closed down by a moderator

6. Fictional languages
Please do not create a thread for a fictional language such as Klingon. It will get closed down by a moderator.

7. Joke languages
You can set the language on the Scratch website to Edible Scratch and Meow. But these are just joke languages so please do not create a thread for them in this forum

8. English
Again, this forum for non-English speaking people. There is already a forum for the English language. (I know, this guide is in English )

9. Computer languages
No HTML, CSS, PHP or any of that. Also no wingdings.

10. Learn a language threads
If you want to learn a language, I suggest Duolingo.

So, if your language is breaking the rules above do not create a new thread for it. If it has passed the guidelines above it is probably safe to create a thread for it.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by FloatingMuffins (July 20, 2021 18:02:30)

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!
Age 17 | Irish | Traditional Catholic | Conservative

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

>>>>>>>>>>> READ BEFORE POSTING: What goes in the Other Languages forum? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yay. Thanks for the sticky!

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

zaxpo
Scratcher
100+ posts

FloatingMuffins wrote:

I have seen a high amount of things in this forum that should not be here so I decided to create this guide.
Here you should create threads for languages that are not listed in the menu at the end of this page. If your language is not listed there then your language should be in a thread in this forum. Check through the pages of this forum to see. If it is not there create a thread for your language. These threads are used to discuss scratch in different languages.

1. Duplicate topics
If there is already a thread for your language do not post another. Looking through this forum I have found 9 discussions for the Irish language. Post in a thread that is already there if there is one already there. Even if the thread is five years old still use that one. Necroposting is ok in this forum. It is best to keep the conversation all in one place.

You might have made up your own language with your friend. Unfortunately, this is not a place to discuss a language you made up. It is for the convenience of non-English speakers. Please be respectful to them.

3. Spam
Spam does not go in any forum. Do not advertise your projects or blockspam. This forum is for the convenience of non-English speakers. Please be respectful to them.

Go to the end of this page: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/ . There is a list of languages that already have their own forum topic. If your language has its own forum use that.

5. Extinct languages
Please do not create a thread for an extinct language such as Latin. It will get closed down by a moderator

6. Fictional languages
Please do not create a thread for a fictional language such as Klingon. It will get closed down by a moderator.

7. Joke languages
You can set the language on the Scratch website to Edible Scratch and Meow. But these are just joke languages so please do not create a thread for them in this forum

8. English
Again, this forum for non-English speaking people. There is already a forum for the English language. (I know, this guide is in English )

9. Binary code
I have only seen 1 binary code thread but I decided to include this anyway. Please do not create threads to discuss in binary code. These will be closed down by a moderator.

Do not create a thread for people to learn a language. This forum is for the convenience of non-English speakers. If you want to learn a language try Duolingo.

So, if your language is breaking the rules above do not create a new thread for it. If it has passed the guidelines above it is probably safe to create a thread for it.

Thanks for reading!
can we help other scratchers here using google translate?
FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zaxpo wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

1. Duplicate topics

3. Spam

5. Extinct languages

6. Fictional languages

7. Joke languages

8. English

9. Binary code
I have only seen 1 binary code thread but I decided to include this anyway. Please do not create threads to discuss in binary code. These will be closed down by a moderator.

Do not create a thread for people to learn a language. This forum is for the convenience of non-English speakers. If you want to learn a language try Duolingo.

Thanks for reading!
Sorry, I don't know. Maybe ask a Scratch Team member.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

zaxpo
Scratcher
100+ posts

FloatingMuffins wrote:

zaxpo wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

1. Duplicate topics

3. Spam

5. Extinct languages

6. Fictional languages

7. Joke languages

8. English

9. Binary code

Thanks for reading!
Sorry, I don't know. Maybe ask a Scratch Team member.
oh ok
GunChleoc
Scratcher
500+ posts

I guess that would depend on the language combination. For example, English to German is goood enough so that people will understand the German text, English to Gaelic is so bad that the result is complete gibberish.

Stuth sa Ghàidhlig
repeat until <not <(language) = [English]>>
set (language) to [Gàidhlig]
end
calebsworld
Scratcher
18 posts

FloatingMuffins wrote:

1. Duplicate topics

3. Spam

5. Extinct languages

6. Fictional languages

7. Joke languages

8. English

Thanks for reading!

Uhh… too late. but i don't see anything that breaks these rules so ok
FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

calebsworld wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

1. Duplicate topics

3. Spam

5. Extinct languages

6. Fictional languages

7. Joke languages

8. English

Thanks for reading!

Uhh… too late. but i don't see anything that breaks these rules so ok
Good!

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

didi666666
Scratcher
30 posts

hi does anyone want to learn the scratch language?
iJackson2
Scratcher
10 posts

What if you speak english but you also speak another language that is not listed such as shona, will I be able to create a thread for that?

“It always seems impossible, until it is done.”
-Nelson Mandela

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

iJackson2 wrote:

What if you speak english but you also speak another language that is not listed such as shona, will I be able to create a thread for that?
Yes.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

-InsanityPlays-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Aren't Edible Scratch and Meow no longer in languages?

Welcome to my signature!
I've moved accounts. Anyway, did this post help you? Go follow me on my new account!
Today's Links: Scratch 4.0 Leaked Information, Astronomical - The Third, The Forum Community
follow me on scratch or i am sad, subscribe to my YouTube channel or bad luck for the rest of your life
My Final Shoutout: hekcer because in computer science class, he is the hekcerman
-InsanityPlays- Fan Studio! (closed) | Astronomical - The Third | Best of -InsanityPlays- 2020
my channel, my website, ctrl+shift+down for more STUFF

2020's Advent Collection:

more STUFF
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just one thing you might want to add: you shouldn't make a forum for a non-human language either in this section (i.e. programming languages).

I'm a programmer, ethical hacker, and space nerd!

Last edited by Neil Armstrong (July 20, 1969 20:17:00)

sam
GoldenSnitchWitch
Scratcher
13 posts

irish is not involved. Irish is a language used by little people, but it is still a language!!!
TheToothlessWolf
Scratcher
500+ posts

FloatingMuffins wrote:

9. Wingdings
Just don't.
I wonder what made that rule necessary…

Don't you love my pfp?
AHAHA Finally 500 posts!
FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheToothlessWolf wrote:

FloatingMuffins wrote:

9. Wingdings
Just don't.
I wonder what made that rule necessary…
There was actually a wingdings topic here a while back.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GoldenSnitchWitch wrote:

irish is not involved. Irish is a language used by little people, but it is still a language!!!
What?

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

Just one thing you might want to add: you shouldn't make a forum for a non-human language either in this section (i.e. programming languages).
Thanks for the tip! But I haven't seen many non-human languages in this thread so it's not really a problem. If it does become a problem, I will add it though.

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!

GunChleoc
Scratcher
500+ posts

FloatingMuffins wrote:

GoldenSnitchWitch wrote:

What?

Maybe GoldenSnitchWitch meant “few” people, which is sadly true.

Stuth sa Ghàidhlig
repeat until <not <(language) = [English]>>
set (language) to [Gàidhlig]
end
MrPaws6000
Scratcher
5 posts

ok
xXx-VIBIN-CAT-xXx
Scratcher
17 posts

where did the meow and edible scratch language go?

a signature
mmm kidney beans