Discuss Scratch

furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud data extensions in scratch 3.0

This topic was a suggestion to the scratch team from July 2018. This is being edited to add this message in August 2020, 2 years later. After going inactive and being forgotten by me, in 2019, a new scratcher found it and posted their first post here, not realizing what it was. Several things were outdated, I didn't fully support it myself anymore, and I realized it was pretty confusing. I didn't want to manage the discussion anymore, so I said if someone else supported they should create a new topic about it. I forgot to close it, though.

Since then, in 2020, 3 more new scratchers / people new to the forums have posted, most not understanding the forums or caring about the update I added. I again did not close it because I thought perhaps I could improve the suggestions so that they were less confusing and better and continue to manage it. But now, as even more confused new forum users visit, I've decided it needs to be closed.

As I've said, create a new topic if anyone supports and wants to discuss these suggestions, as I no longer want to manage a discussion from 2 years back.

Original Post — July 2018
Some of these ideas were suggestions made on the “Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?” topic, I'm just posting them here so that people can see them.

So, when the scratch team limited cloud variables to 128 characters due to financial and moderating problems a few months ago, it made it a lot harder to create cloud saving projects.

These ideas are for scratch 3.0 extensions that can save cloud data in new ways that make it easy to moderate while still allowing users to create certain kinds of cloud projects that became harder once the 128 character limit came.

Save data
A lot of users use cloud data for users to save their game. However, this is hard with the limit. So, perhaps have an extension that saves varialbes to the browser or to the computer. They aren't saved to the cloud, so other users can't see your data, but they stay the same for each user. I'm not sure how all these things work, but I'm pretty sure something like this would be useful.

Leaderboard
Allows saving usernames and scores to the cloud.
add to leaderboard with score (0)::extension
([score v] in position (1)::extension)
show leaderboard::extension
hide leaderboard::extension
<[user] on leaderboard?::extension>
(position of [user] on leaderboard::extension)

Recent changes
Shows the latest people to change a cloud variable.
((2) last person to change [cloud variable v]::extension)//the 2nd last person to change cloud variable
<(username) has changed [cloud variable v]::extension>

What are your opinions? Changes? More ideas?
First Edit — June 2019
This topic sunk deep into suggestions and popped back up lately because somebody posted, so some things in here might not be up to date (for example, scratch 3.0 is already out now, and the 128 char limit is far old and has actually been changed to 256). Since I have moved accounts and don't really care too much about managing suggestions here, if anybody else does agree with these suggestions, then it would be nice to create a new topic so I don't have to manage it.
Second Edit — May 2020
Why are multiple new scratchers somehow finding this post a year after its last post and posting their first post here acting like this used to actually exist? This is in the suggestions forum. I guess because they're new and this is their first time on the forums they don't realize that it's just a suggestion, but I have no clue why this has happened twice, each after the topic had been inactive for almost a year. If these people are new to the forums, how do they find this anyways?

I ended up not moving accounts as I said in the last edit but I still don't care about managing this suggestion and the implementation of this extension wasn't the best anyways, so if you want to continue it make a new topic, and DO NOT POST HERE (comment on my profile instead if you have anything to say about creating a new topic for this or about why new scratchers are finding this) or else you will bump it up suggestions again; just let it fade away. I will likely close this soon, unless I think of some new ideas for this suggestion to improve the ideas, which is why it will remain open for now.

— Closed August 2020 —

Last edited by furrypig (Aug. 20, 2020 22:45:21)

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is super confusing. Also, I think we should see cloud data on the project, as other users can see the history of what has been going on.

ShinigamiBlacky
Scratcher
100+ posts

Am I understanding you right, cloudlist and putting Cloud into an exention?
If yes, no support to both
ScratchMarioMan64
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think the cloud leaderboard extension would be nice. It’s still like a list but its still got restrictions. Other than that I don’t see any need for really big cloud vars. They’ve always been a bit confusing.

My username says “ScratchMarioMan64” but you can call me Aris.
furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

ShinigamiBlacky wrote:

Am I understanding you right, cloudlist and putting Cloud into an exention?
If yes, no support to both
Um… Definitely not… I didn't even mention that… Maybe you read over the whole thing extremely fast?
edit: Oh, maybe you didn't read the post at all and that's why you're talking about something else. Or maybe you replied to the wrong topic?

Last edited by furrypig (July 28, 2018 21:58:14)

furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

This is super confusing. Also, I think we should see cloud data on the project, as other users can see the history of what has been going on.
Can you explain what is confusing? I understand it perfectly, but I guess some people might not.
GamerMarcus646
Scratcher
100+ posts

Man, does anyone remember the Cloud Data extension back then? Did Scratch remove it? I can't find it anymore.

Come on Scratch Cat, you can do it! Pave the way, put your back into it! Tell us why, show us how, look at where you came from, look at you now! teenagers, kids and adults, beginners! Can learn to code it, let them code, share it out, come on Scratch Cat, Teach ‘em!
furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

GamerMarcus646 wrote:

Man, does anyone remember the Cloud Data extension back then? Did Scratch remove it? I can't find it anymore.
This is in suggestions because it doesn't exist and never existed before. These blocks suggested never existed. Cloud variables have always been in the variables section, because they are such a small feature (just press more options when creating a variable), but this suggestion was to add more to them, making them worthy of an extension.
dhuls
Scratcher
1000+ posts

For the save data and leaderboards i have no support because it would cost a LOT of money for the scratch and might add advertisements to scratch or make it not free (Please pay $10.00 or something to use Scratch) the last 2 blocks I do support
furrypig
Scratcher
100+ posts

dhuls wrote:

For the save data and leaderboards i have no support because it would cost a LOT of money for the scratch and might add advertisements to scratch or make it not free (Please pay $10.00 or something to use Scratch) the last 2 blocks I do support
Yeah, the leaderboard might be expensive, so maybe not that. The last 2 are nice though because scratch already saves that data, so it wouldn't take anymore space, it would just become accessible from the project itself. But save data could probably use cookies or something to save because it's only saving for the user—not for everybody to see—so it wouldn't use the cloud, however there might be problems with it using the browser instead of saving specifically to a user.
musicrules12345
Scratcher
2 posts

GamerMarcus646 wrote:

same
Dungeonation
Scratcher
18 posts

As far as local save data for projects goes, I was wondering if anyone else had the same idea as me! Supported, I also made a thread about the idea.

when I receive [Favorite Scratch Block Ever v]
(pick random (0) to (10))
firerubyx
Scratcher
8 posts

3.0 the cloud variable is in the little box in the make a variable
(☁ score) TRUE

its in the bottom

Last edited by firerubyx (Aug. 18, 2020 04:16:07)