Discuss Scratch

voldechuck
Scratcher
41 posts

MP3 File Quality

Is there a way to have MP3s (and other sound files) have better quality on scratch? Thanks!
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
100+ posts

MP3 File Quality

No, at least not at the moment. Audio is currently heavily compressed to save space, but this may change in the future.

This user isn't very active here on Scratch anymore.actually i lied, i've become more active here on the forums
You should check out this little forums website.

Want to search my posts? Google/click this string: e20d86fdcf45cce5452e5904cf5db7c6 and it might get you somewhere.

There's a pirate TV station in my area, I recorded a video about it.
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MP3 File Quality

You might want to try a different audio converter, or try an audio editing program like Audacity.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-asexual / 13 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump

I love you more than Dustin loves 3 Musketeers.
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
100+ posts

MP3 File Quality

LionHeart70 wrote:

You might want to try a different audio converter, or try an audio editing program like Audacity.
That won't help, because all the compression, downsampling, and conversion to mono that destroys the sound quality happens on Scratch's side.

This user isn't very active here on Scratch anymore.actually i lied, i've become more active here on the forums

Want to search my posts? Google/click this string: e20d86fdcf45cce5452e5904cf5db7c6 and it might get you somewhere.

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MP3 File Quality

Flowermanvista wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

That won't help, because all the compression, downsampling, and conversion to mono that destroys the sound quality happens on Scratch's side.
That's true, but if the audio quality is severely low-quality it can sometimes be a problem with what audio converter you're using. If you're using an average audio converter, the sound shouldn't be too low-quality, as I've found from the sound converter I usually use.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-asexual / 13 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump

I love you more than Dustin loves 3 Musketeers.
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
100+ posts

MP3 File Quality

LionHeart70 wrote:

Flowermanvista wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

That's true, but if the audio quality is severely low-quality it can sometimes be a problem with what audio converter you're using. If you're using an average audio converter, the sound shouldn't be too low-quality, as I've found from the sound converter I usually use.
I just realized that audio format conversion isn't necessary in a lot of cases, because Scratch can accept MP3 files and most WAV files, and using the source WAV file instead of converting to MP3 would result in marginally better audio quality.