Discuss Scratch

ScratchDiogoh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

I find it useful to use a mobile keyboard in scratch and could be useful for platforms,
Support

+1700 Bad Posts
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

So I asked Paddle2See:

LuckyLucky7 wrote:

I have a question: Since mobile and tablet users can view projects, how will they be able to play projects like platformers?
And then he replied:

Paddle2See wrote:

Because they have no keyboard? I'm interested in finding out how that works myself!
So then, I linked him to this topic.

I have about 1950 posts, 50 projects, 125 total topics, and 80 followers.

Millie_S
Scratcher
78 posts

Mobile controls

this must be added

when gf clicked
forever
confess to [everyone v] that [fish] are actually [ducks]::motion
Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Millie_S wrote:

this must be added
Why?

CONSIDER READING THIS, PLEASE:
Don't write things someone already said. It's useless.
If you want to point a duplicate, please don't write just “Duplicate” when you don't have the link. At least say that you can't do it because -reasons-. Writing it and then going away does not help.
Don't write “I agree”, “this” or just quote without adding something constructive. It doesn't help.
No supporting because “you can do this elsewhere” is not a valid reason. If it was, the suggestion forum wouldn't exist because you can do everything elsewhere.
A simple workaround is not, never was and will never be a reason to no-support a suggestion. There are plenty of blocks with simple workarounds in Scratch right now, and there's a reason if the ST still added them.
No supporting because “it can turn into a competition” is not a reason, since it can happen everywhere (such as follows). Post count: 1900+
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

I think maybe a mobile keyboard will show up when you go to a project that requires buttons to be pressed.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

LionHeart70 wrote:

I think maybe a mobile keyboard will show up when you go to a project that requires buttons to be pressed.
I think that would be the most likely to be added into Scratch 3 if the Scratch Team had to choose between buttons, joysticks, and a mobile keyboard.

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
500+ posts

Mobile controls

If this was added, it would be the only good thing about 3.0 awesome! Support!

Welcome to Mr. Penguin's Pun Corner!
Me: Why did the pig have no legs?
Random Person: I don't know, why?
Me: I don't know, I thought you would know.
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump

badatprogrammingibe
Scratcher
500+ posts

Mobile controls

I do not give my support to this suggestion.
Scratch is intended for use on desktop computers and laptops, tablets aren't at all the target market.

I believe that communism is good, debate me on it by clicking on this link.
Working cloud data chat room.
Expression evaluator.
Expression evaluator with support for complex numbers.
If you see any of my posts with incorrect grammar/punctuation/spelling, please comment on my profile with a link, so I can fix them.
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

Scratch is intended for use on desktop computers and laptops, tablets aren't at all the target market.
This suggestion can be optional.
If there is something in Scratch 3 that detects what browser/phone you are using, like this:
My browser / operating system: Android Linux 5.1.1, Chrome 68.0.3440.91, No Flash version detected
Then the option would be enabled. Otherwise, if something like this happens:
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 68.0.3440.91, No Flash version detected
Then it would be disabled.
However, since the forums already have a phone/browser detector, this wouldn't be hard to implement in Scratch 3.

BLOKBUSTR_GD
Scratcher
35 posts

Mobile controls

I got another idea for mobile controls: device orientation. This might be pretty useful in creating some really good racing games or puzzles, etc

(Device orientation l/r
Reset device orientation l/r
(Device orientation f/b)
Reset device orientation f/b
(Device orientation s/s)
Reset device orientation s/s

l/r = left/right
f/b = front/back
s/s = side-to-side

Last edited by BLOKBUSTR_GD (Aug. 28, 2018 02:25:31)

Come help with the creation of Super Mario Scratch!
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/306707/

I’m putting work on it bass…
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump!

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

Scratch 3.0 targets tablets now; that's why the blocks are fatter.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
Please don't feel the obligation to post on every single topic you see; eventually you will resort to spam.
Another suggestion has been implemented!
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mobile controls

Bump.

paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

Mobile controls

Oh my gosh I never thought about this!! I assume there would be a keyboard, but that might make the project interface even smaller…
Gibom
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mobile controls

If a keyboard gets added, there should be a button to toggle, since there shouldn't be an keyboard in an animation.

Another idea for this:
show [keyboard v] at x (0) y (0) :: sensing
hide [arrow keys v] :: sensing
I think it could have ‘keyboard’ (every key that's usable), ‘WASD’, ‘Arrow Keys’ ‘Arrow Keys/WASD + Space’, ‘Numpad’ and maybe a few others. This would probably take some time to get implemented, though.

USB-OTG (allowing you to use things like USB-Sticks, Mice and Keyboards with an Micro-USB to USB adapter on a smartphone) would be great for Scratch 3. This would allow for controlling projects with a real keyboard.

blocc :: operators