Discuss Scratch

RedYoshiNation
Scratcher
1 post

Scratch 3.0 Suggestions & Bug Reports

I found a issue where some projects will not load on mobile and say that the page was reloaded because a problem occurred

I tested out my two projects and here are the links to the projects I tried to load on 3.0 beta:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/186155491/ (Entity Raiders v2.1)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/236422350/ (RYN's Epic Battle v1.3.6)

Also I have some suggestions for Scratch 3.0
1. There should be an option where you can make the project screen either to the left or right
2. There should be an effect block that cuts the sprite in 1 or 5 halves either horizontal or vertical
3. Clone Limit should increase but it might take some project space
4. Cloud Data Variables should be increased to an unlimited amount
5. There should be a new type of sprite called a sticker which can be put into the project, They can be dragged and can be placed by a sprite
6. Scratchers can put their characters into the sprite library & can publish them
7. There should be a feature where users can undo revisions of their own projects if they accidentally corrupt it or ruin it
8. A variable that counts up the views or a project, One that counts up the loves of a project, One that counts up the favorites of a project, One that counts up the remixes of a project, and one that counts the comments of a project
9. A block feature where scratchers can block others. Blocked scratchers cannot view, love, favorite, remix, or comment in the user's project. Blocked users cannot follow you and if they are following you before you block them they will automatically unfollow you. If you are following a blocked user you will automatically unfollow them! This is best when scratchers are following you so they can harm you! I have two following me and one is still not blocked, I dont want to get in trouble if I try to ban them!
10. A block feature where you can color categories blocks (Ex. color Events Category Blue) because I get confused with the control & event categories colors
go to [Driblee Island Battle]

Last edited by RedYoshiNation (Dec. 11, 2018 02:17:34)

Cy_nonono
Scratcher
7 posts

RedYoshiNation wrote:

I found a issue where some projects will not load on mobile and say that the page was reloaded because a problem occurred

I tested out my two projects and here are the links to the projects I tried to load on 3.0 beta:

1. There should be an option where you can make the project screen either to the left or right
2. There should be an effect block that cuts the sprite in 1 or 5 halves either horizontal or vertical
5. There should be a new type of sprite called a sticker which can be put into the project, They can be dragged and can be placed by a sprite
6. Scratchers can put their characters into the sprite library & can publish them
7. There should be a feature where users can undo revisions of their own projects if they accidentally corrupt it or ruin it
8. A variable that counts up the views or a project, One that counts up the loves of a project, One that counts up the favorites of a project, One that counts up the remixes of a project, and one that counts the comments of a project
9. A block feature where scratchers can block others. Blocked scratchers cannot view, love, favorite, remix, or comment in the user's project. Blocked users cannot follow you and if they are following you before you block them they will automatically unfollow you.
But Play This i am a Canada https://aggie.io/9yqyya9mr1
ToxicTiger27
New to Scratch
1 post

I suggest a block to be added that was not originally In scratch 2.0, a block that senses what color a specific sprite is in contact with.

thecringelord2
Scratcher
1 post

I have a pretty nice suggestion!

Make 3.0 from zero AGAIN
CatOverload
Scratcher
100+ posts

Alzter wrote:

big paragraphs, snipped
THIS

-Samu2003-
Scratcher
3 posts

Alzter wrote:

I don't understand why there have been so many unnecessary changes. Like the blocks having a ridiculously large amount of padding, being eye-blindingly bright and being illegible zoomed out, the scripts area having no border making all the scripts messy, the costume editor being tiny due to it being squished by all the surrounding padding, the sound editor losing functionality and many more changes I don't really agree with. There are a lot of claims on how these changes are “needed” or “beneficial”, but I wholeheartedly disagree. There are much better ways to execute what ST are aiming to obtain.

The claim that the big blocks “help mobile users” is quite invalid because 3.0 barely works on mobile. The screen is too small, it's laggy and the zoom is absolutely broken. Optimizing all of Scratch 3.0 solely for mobiles with the drop-downs, big blocks and huge padding is a very big mistake. Scratch isn't for mobile. It is too complicated for a tiny mobile screen and compromising the entire program just so it sort of works on mobile is a BAD IDEA. Scratch 3.0 on tablets might work better, but we don't need the compromises like the big blocks that I mentioned earlier.

The claim that big blocks “is easier for younger audiences” is also quite the contrary. Kids have used Scratch for quite some time and found the current block size to work just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And the last claim that really gets into my skin is that “Scratch 3 will be easier for kids struggling to use it”. No, it won't. It isn't easier at all. It's the exact same program, but not easier, dumbed down. All the functionality has effectively been stripped from the program so all that comes out of it are all the same “spinning rainbow cat” projects. Changes like making drop-downs for costume, sprite and sound creation that select the sprite library by default, big blocks that are hard to manage and become illegible zoomed out, the scripts area having the top-left border removed so all your scripts are in a messy pile, making the costume editor area tiny because of all the padding covering it, removing things we already had like the sound editor selection tool, all these changes are killing Scratch, and they should not be present in the release of 3.0.

If you truly want to make Scratch easier, making the program nearly impossible to create anything of quality does not help. How I got good at Scratch in the first place was by reading the instruction manual. The new tutorials are a good step towards helping people understand how Scratch works, but there should be more advanced tutorials and the right-click block help menu should be encouraged.

On top of this there should be some sort of new “Get Started Tutorial system” which walks you through how to make projects starting basic and then getting more advanced covering things like Broadcasts, Variables, and Custom Blocks. And it should be a better than the basic 2.0 tutorials just showing you how to “make your name dance”. They need to really show you how to jump in and CREATE things and not just compile already created assets from the sprite library and make them crudely “dance”. The tutorial system should be interconnected with the program and detect what you're doing, instead of just being text you can scroll through. Make it interactive! If it's good and competent, it could even be used as a group activity in schools for kids to get started at their own pace and imagine, program, and share.

In conclusion, please revert all the changes I mentioned before. Scratch doesn't need to be painfully basic to be easy, it just needs to walk you through how to use the program and encourage you to do more than use the sprite library, and show you how to make something new. I am confident that a better tutorial system will help people get into Scratch better and use their potential more than just making the program extremely basic and removing functionality. I also think Scratch 3.0 should not hinder, but help advanced users. If it's the “big new update”, it should add more, not remove and dumb down! Add more features for advanced users that can further increase the capabilities of the program, and maybe some tools to assist new users. (That don't compromise the performance of the program, of course!) That on top of a better tutorial will truly make Scratch “easier”, but not worse.

I perfectly agree
BoiGeneric
Scratcher
3 posts

I found a “solution”. Inspect element and remove the loading screen, though there is no sprite as a standard and there are no motion blocks because of no sprite. When i make a sprite and switch to costumes, it crashes. Anyone know why this happens.
519PRPr30
Scratcher
3 posts

Could it be possible to make it so that people in the same studio can work on the same projects AT THE SAME time in scratch 3.0?
Or perhaps even make a system where a group of scratchers can form a “Team”, that way all you can invite your team to work on your projects at the same time.
I think it would be incredibly useful for mass-production of an animated series.

Thanks,
519PRPr30

Last edited by 519PRPr30 (Dec. 6, 2018 09:44:32)

anzim
Scratcher
1 post

Hi!

Please rename “модификация” operator to “остаток от деления” in russian version.

Thanks.
TrainsManFlighter
Scratcher
20 posts

You should add these blocks! Ignore the black operator on slowdown and replace with arrows.
Speed up sound >>
Slow down sound <<
Reset Sound Speed
Change Pitch By (9)
9 is an example of a pitch.

Last edited by TrainsManFlighter (Dec. 6, 2018 11:12:23)

NineBit
Scratcher
24 posts

maks10012 wrote:

I know this is kinda a silly question, but how do you switch the screen to the normal 2.0 left style?
I don't think there's a way, but I'd love to have that be an option, even if the current Scratch 3.0. layout is the default.

Don't be afraid of potatoes, just look for them. Look left, look right, look down, look under your bed, look in the closet. But never look up. Potatoes don't like being seen.
Code-io
Scratcher
31 posts

Would you plz add more voices in the block : set voice to _^.

What is a Kumquat?
Check Out My Profile And See What's New Or Follow Me!
when this sprite clicked
go to [Code-io's Profile v]
drblix75
Scratcher
1 post

Are there rotation axis options?
Gobba101
Scratcher
1 post

so the new text to speech block it needs more care you can make is cures too easily just by miss spelling words if you would like a list of things to censer that you haven't all ready here's a list please don't report me cuz I spell bad words here (1. thuck 2.azz ) that's all I could find im glad I found a way to contacted you about this.

Last edited by Gobba101 (Dec. 6, 2018 16:36:33)

dominic305
Scratcher
100 posts

RedYoshiNation wrote:

9. A block feature where scratchers can block others. Blocked scratchers cannot view, love, favorite, remix, or comment in the user's project. Blocked users cannot follow you and if they are following you before you block them they will automatically unfollow you. If you are following a blocked user you will automatically unfollow them! This is best when scratchers are following you so they can harm you!
10. A block feature where you can color categories blocks (Ex. color Events Category Blue) because I get confused with the control & event categories colors
I get that too, it occurs because the system runs out of memory (RAM). Scratch 3.0 is takes a lot of RAM to run and is impractical for mobile devices right now.

Be sure to check out Hyperdrive OS X Blueberry!
This is a signature. Not a siggy. And there's no evil kumquats here.
when green flag clicked
if <(dominic305) = (online)> then
broadcast [PARTYYYYY v]
end
Krokophant
Scratcher
4 posts

I wish there was a pig sprite and more Scratch smileys (for comments).
Krokophant
Scratcher
4 posts

Also, the stage is on the wrong side (right, not left.)
Terradroid3
Scratcher
7 posts

Could you guys please add a few more frames for the scratch cats walking animation. y'know, like the other characters.
Krokophant
Scratcher
4 posts

Also, my friend told me at school that he wanted a “when I start as a clone” block you can put in a script, so it not only is a “when I start as a clone” block as a start block. Can you fix it?
9001_666_1337_21
Scratcher
10 posts

OK so how do I get WebGL on my computer? My computer uses OpenGL. Maybe you could make it work with that? I'm on a Mac OS X v10.11.6