Discuss Scratch

cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fix regarding the project loading and comments

Support! I think the second soloution (getting rid of the automatic scrollback when a project loads) is preferable to the first, but either would work.

convoluto-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support. This happens to me a lot.

Expert memelord in the making.
So far, I've made: 3 memes! ( in photoshop )

You cannot trust any of my posts because I am dumb. Some may be right, though.
Loquat + kumquat protector: - Bob
omtegu
Scratcher
100+ posts

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

Whenever the project page finishes loading, there's usually a gap between the time when the page stops loading and the project assets start loading. During that gap, you can scroll around wherever you want. However, when the project starts loading, the page will instantly bring you back up to the top, so you can see the (loading assets) bar and know when the project's begun loading.

Seems fine, right?

There's one problem: comments.

Whenever I get a message saying, “(USERNAME) commented on your project (PROJECT)”, it provides a link that, when clicked will bring you directly to the comment. Meaning, when you click the link, it will bring you to the project page and then automatically scroll you down to where the comment is, so you can view it or reply to it.

However, more often than not, this process happens in the gap of time between the page loading ending and the project loading starting. So when the project starts loading, you'll be brought back up to the top of the page, and if you want to view/reply to the comment, you now have to scroll all the way back down…

This isn't a problem for projects with only 1 or 2 comments, but what about projects with hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands of comments? The creator of the project might have to scroll through hundreds and hundreds of comments just to reach the desired comment, especially if it's a reply to a comment that's really old.

I think something about this needs to be fixed. Either the page should scroll down to the comment after the project starts loading, or you shouldn't be brought back to the top of the page when the project loading starts.

So what do you say?

Sorry if this is a dupe. i agree

I do random stuff like this random song Its random thing

Now HIRING! Just click here for my shop link!
-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

01100010 01110101 01101101 01110000

(“bump” in binary)

Last edited by -ShadowOfTheFuture- (Aug. 12, 2018 17:48:27)

<Insert uncreative signature here>

██       ██  ██            ██  ██       ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
███ ███ ██ ████ ██ ███ ███
█████████ █████ █████ █████████

“Though the seasons come and go, and sunshine turns to snow, we will always have tomorrow up ahead.”
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

They're rewriting the project page and so far, it seems that linking to comments works properly now.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sheep_maker wrote:

They're rewriting the project page and so far, it seems that linking to comments works properly now.
I tested, seems the same as always to me.

██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██

“Though the seasons come and go, and sunshine turns to snow, we will always have tomorrow up ahead.”
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, this can get extremely annoying.
While I don't get many comments on my projects (the most popular ones get about 5-10), I often get a reply on a rather popular project to a comment I made a while ago.. and then it can get irritating to scroll, so sometimes I just give up, even though the reply tends to be really interesting.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-ShadowOfTheFuture- wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

I tested, seems the same as always to me.
It's not live on the Scratch website yet.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

necrobump

██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██

-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

necrobump

I originally thought this was fixed. I tested it - it hasn't been.

██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██

-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

necrobump

Still hasn't been fixed.

██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██