Discuss Scratch

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

untitled short story collab thing

DogQueenGirl wrote:

Also! Are dragons restricted to fire only, or can they vary?
We seem to have a lot of fire-users, that's all. I don't mind changing Casper's powers as long as it fits the ‘dragon’ part. ^^

mm, i think they should vary a little bit- because pheonixi are fire only.

also, i have this idea, but i wanna see you guy's opinions on it first (especially nova)
so maybe dragons could also be antagonists? like, i think our main antagonist is the king of the country (we really need world building and names for stuff soon), and maybe dragons could be notoriously loyal to the king, so it'd be harder to trust people who are dragon/part dragon (fits in with Casper's character).

and perhaps dragons could have the power of darkness itself? this idea is in beta mode though, we'll develop it a bit more if everyone agrees with it

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

ALSO- guys, we need to elaborate more on the powers of each character (if they have any), and of the magical creatures. i think the only species we have are pheonixi, dragons, and faeries?

please, watch this video and ask yourselves the 6 questions she has in the video, and include them in your bio

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hey guys, I’m really really sorry, but I have to drop out, due to personal reasons. I’m so sorry for bringing this up so late.

I’ll definitely be interested to see the final product, and I’ll unfollow this forum so I don’t get spoilers please tell me what the Wattpad account is when you start!

Once again, I’m super sorry <3

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

-IcicIe- wrote:

Hey guys, I’m really really sorry, but I have to drop out, due to personal reasons. I’m so sorry for bringing this up so late.

I’ll definitely be interested to see the final product, and I’ll unfollow this forum so I don’t get spoilers please tell me what the Wattpad account is when you start!

Once again, I’m super sorry <3

Oh that's okay! Gah, it sucks though, you're an amazing writer Icy <3

Novakitty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yeah, it would be cool if dragons were antagonists! It would make the group trust Talon even less, or maybe just be confused by him.

Also, I love the idea if them controlling the power of darkness itself. With Talon especially, since he was raised by humans, it would be something that he would have to discover on his own rather than being taught. Perhaps its even a skill that the dragons try to keep secret from humans.

Credit to PeaInAPod for my awesome cat emojis!!!

And thanks to MakeTheBrainHappy for the sweet siggy!
TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

Novakitty wrote:

Yeah, it would be cool if dragons were antagonists! It would make the group trust Talon even less, or maybe just be confused by him.

Also, I love the idea if them controlling the power of darkness itself. With Talon especially, since he was raised by humans, it would be something that he would have to discover on his own rather than being taught. Perhaps its even a skill that the dragons try to keep secret from humans.

Wait, but who's our main antag.? And yeah- but we do need to incorporate weakness in there somewhere

DogQueenGirl
Scratcher
100+ posts

TheEnderQueen wrote:

DogQueenGirl wrote:

Also! Are dragons restricted to fire only, or can they vary?
We seem to have a lot of fire-users, that's all. I don't mind changing Casper's powers as long as it fits the ‘dragon’ part. ^^

mm, i think they should vary a little bit- because pheonixi are fire only.

also, i have this idea, but i wanna see you guy's opinions on it first (especially nova)
so maybe dragons could also be antagonists? like, i think our main antagonist is the king of the country (we really need world building and names for stuff soon), and maybe dragons could be notoriously loyal to the king, so it'd be harder to trust people who are dragon/part dragon (fits in with Casper's character).

and perhaps dragons could have the power of darkness itself? this idea is in beta mode though, we'll develop it a bit more if everyone agrees with it
Sure, your ideas sound really cool!

TheEnderQueen wrote:

Novakitty wrote:

Wait, but who's our main antag.? And yeah- but we do need to incorporate weakness in there somewhere
Dunno, I guess we should plan them now. Didn't we consider a ruler of the country a few pages back (actually, that was your suggestion, i think… so you'd remember haha)?
TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yay, someone's on! I was considering that, but we could also do a powerful mage/sorceress… I'm not a big fan of ruler of country idea anymore though, countless other fantasy novels have done it.

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

Keep in mind that this isnt my story, it's ours. Please, put forth any, and I mean any ideas, even the ‘really crappy ones’.

Last edited by TheEnderQueen (March 23, 2018 00:48:46)

Novakitty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheEnderQueen wrote:

Novakitty wrote:

IDEA IDEA (really bad one but here we go): So you mentioned instead of a king we could have a sorcerer/sorceress, and so what if… That sorceress gave the dragons that power of darkness? It could have been an accident even—they could have casted a spell on the dragons(or some of them), and it had an adverse reaction to the chemical in their blood and Dave them the darkness power! The drawback could be that if they use this power, it lets the sorcerer control them, and the more they use it the more she is able to control them.

So yeah, have a bad idea but it's something. XD

fantale
Scratcher
58 posts

hey guys! sorry i've been inactive oops
character ideas:

Name: Coltyn (Colt) Asher
Looks: Wavy, tangled ginger-brown hair, amber eyes, marzipan skin (sorry i just had to say that), tall, fiery coloured wings, always wearing black jeans
Personality: Sharp-minded and cunning, but can be hot-headed with a short temper. Tendency to get into arguments. Always feels as if he has to present this image of coming across as strong and emotionless, but even he is prone to breaking down at times. The lion part of him controls his strong emotions and predatory behaviours. He has a (very cliche I'm sorry) ‘softer side’.
Species: Half-human, half-gryphon
Power: He has brute strength and accuracy when hunting. He always feels as if he missed out with his less showy powers, but his skills are actually extremely advantageous to the group. His magic strengthens as adrenaline increases, possibly as a result of primal instinct, so high levels of excitement, fear or stress produce more proficient magic. It cannot be felt or observed by other people except for a faint orange glow; for example, a killed lamb would glow a little after Colt's attack.
Backstory: He was raised by humans, and his fully human mother, so he integrates well into human society. His mother, however, was abusive. As he previously lived in a remote rural settlement, and there was no option for help regarding his mother, his only choice was to run away at fourteen. He is constantly in fear of running into her, although he is millions of kilometres away now, and is fairly sure she is no longer looking for him.
Notes: A natural leader of the group. Has the potential to create conflict among other members due to his harsh and unforgiving leading style.
Are we doing relationships in this story? Because I feel like this character getting into a relationship would create an interesting subplot; there'd probably be a lot of angst and fights balanced out with some cute, tender moments. Although it might be hard writing this with non-human characters.

PS: i'm australian, so i guess i should start switching to american english when writing? sorry for any mistakes i make!! i usually stand by ‘ou’ words (e.g. favourite, colour) but i think we should make our grammar consistent across the story

Niamh-
Scratcher
100+ posts

yeah going on what with fantale said, im australian so i write words differently so yeah i apologise if the words are spelt differently ill try change it when i can but its just a habit yanno
EcIipsed
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Niamh- wrote:

yeah going on what with fantale said, im australian so i write words differently so yeah i apologise if the words are spelt differently ill try change it when i can but its just a habit yanno

yeah, i'm also australian, i'll set my spellcheck to american
EcIipsed
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have most of the character bio down, I'm constantly making minor edits to it though.

https://www.notebook.ai/plan/characters/367630
Niamh-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Name: Ayra Helmspear
Looks: Hazel green eyes, blood red hair usually styled as a half up half down bun (or no bun or a high pony tail), tall, curved body
Personality: Reserved and independant. Often very wise, smart, logical and likes to plan things ahead. Adventurous and often does things she wants to do but is also a great team player.
Species: Human
Power: None
Backstory: Ayra was never really brought up in a family. She was an only child and often resorted in doing things her own way and doing them independently because her mother and father were always busy. (going on with what Enders backstory was kinda, her parents started working with the king) and so that developed her personality of always being independent and reserved.
Motivation in leaving the city: She didn't feel like the city was her home and she often felt like there was more than to living in a city so that builty up her adventurous personality.
Notes on the character: At the beginning Ayra is very reserved and independent and often likes being alone. Whilst she is mainly independent she is a strong team player and puts her ideas forward when she can. She isn't very humorous but makes jokes here and there. During development everything is some what the same for her but she is more keen on adventuring and taking action rather than sitting tight and waiting for something to happen (but shes still independent and doesn't speak as much only when shes got something important to say.) She speaks logically so whatever she says is often something smart but sometimes hints of cheekiness are thrown in. She also tends to be one of the team players that look out for one another so if somewhere throughout our story someone is in danger or needs help she often helps but doesn't necessarily like being called a hero or anything.

Last edited by Niamh- (March 23, 2018 09:27:25)

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

Novakitty wrote:

IDEA IDEA (really bad one but here we go): So you mentioned instead of a king we could have a sorcerer/sorceress, and so what if… That sorceress gave the dragons that power of darkness? It could have been an accident even—they could have casted a spell on the dragons(or some of them), and it had an adverse reaction to the chemical in their blood and Dave them the darkness power! The drawback could be that if they use this power, it lets the sorcerer control them, and the more they use it the more she is able to control them.

That's good- as long as we don't make it seem like "oh the sorcerer/ess controlled the dragon it's not really their fault"

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

EcIipsed wrote:

I have most of the character bio down, I'm constantly making minor edits to it though.

https://www.notebook.ai/plan/characters/367630

Oh Eci, mind if you convert it into a forum post? It'd be easier for us to access, and some of us can't us notebook.ai

Novakitty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheEnderQueen wrote:

Novakitty wrote:

That's good- as long as we don't make it seem like "oh the sorcerer/ess controlled the dragon it's not really their fault"

Of course. It could still be their fault because most of them would willingly join with the sorcerer/ess because they want the power, so they chose the dark side of their own free will.

Last edited by Novakitty (March 23, 2018 20:35:08)

TheEnderQueen
Scratcher
500+ posts

Character Notes

Name: Ayra Helmspear
Looks: Hazel green eyes, blood red hair usually styled as a half up half down bun (or no bun or a high pony tail), tall, curved body
Personality: Reserved and independant. Often very wise, smart, logical and likes to plan things ahead. Adventurous and often does things she wants to do but is also a great team player.
Power: None
Backstory: Ayra was never really brought up in a family. She was an only child and often resorted in doing things her own way and doing them independently because her mother and father were always busy. (going on with what Enders backstory was kinda, her parents started working with the king) and so that developed her personality of always being independent and reserved.
Motivation in leaving the city: She didn't feel like the city was her home and she often felt like there was more than to living in a city so that builty up her adventurous personality.
Notes on the character: At the beginning Ayra is very reserved and independent and often likes being alone. Whilst she is mainly independent she is a strong team player and puts her ideas forward when she can. She isn't very humorous but makes jokes here and there. During development everything is some what the same for her but she is more keen on adventuring and taking action rather than sitting tight and waiting for something to happen (but shes still independent and doesn't speak as much only when shes got something important to say.) She speaks logically so whatever she says is often something smart but sometimes hints of cheekiness are thrown in. She also tends to be one of the team players that look out for one another so if somewhere throughout our story someone is in danger or needs help she often helps but doesn't necessarily like being called a hero or anything.
Name: Coltyn (Colt) Asher
Looks: Wavy, tangled ginger-brown hair, amber eyes, marzipan skin (sorry i just had to say that), tall, fiery coloured wings, always wearing black jeans
Personality: Sharp-minded and cunning, but can be hot-headed with a short temper. Tendency to get into arguments. Always feels as if he has to present this image of coming across as strong and emotionless, but even he is prone to breaking down at times. The lion part of him controls his strong emotions and predatory behaviours. He has a (very cliche I'm sorry) ‘softer side’.
Species: Half-human, half-gryphon
Power: He has brute strength and accuracy when hunting. He always feels as if he missed out with his less showy powers, but his skills are actually extremely advantageous to the group. His magic strengthens as adrenaline increases, possibly as a result of primal instinct, so high levels of excitement, fear or stress produce more proficient magic. It cannot be felt or observed by other people except for a faint orange glow; for example, a killed lamb would glow a little after Colt's attack.
Backstory: He was raised by humans, and his fully human mother, so he integrates well into human society. His mother, however, was abusive. As he previously lived in a remote rural settlement, and there was no option for help regarding his mother, his only choice was to run away at fourteen. He is constantly in fear of running into her, although he is millions of kilometres away now, and is fairly sure she is no longer looking for him.
Notes: A natural leader of the group. Has the potential to create conflict among other members due to his harsh and unforgiving leading style.
Are we doing relationships in this story? Because I feel like this character getting into a relationship would create an interesting subplot; there'd probably be a lot of angst and fights balanced out with some cute, tender moments. Although it might be hard writing this with non-human characters.

name: Dalkyn Zerinth
age: the golden age of sixteen in which almost every main character is aged
looks: shoulder-length black hair (pre-dev. usually let down, post-dev. usually held in a bun), tall, skinny; black eyes that resemble a hawk's.
personality, pre-dev.: loud, out-spoken, creative, more heart than head, obstinate, interrupts people often, passionate, prideful.
personality, post-dev.: quiet, introverted, analytical, more head than heart, still obstinate (lol can't get rid of that), observant, straightforward, somewhat modest.
species: hoomin
power: seer, and the only way he can see the future is if he goes to the Otherland, a mental place in which all destinies are stored. however, it takes quiet and at least half an hour to get there and back, so his seer-ing is pretty useless unless he has time (which nobody has, on the run) sometimes he gets blackouts (at the most inconvenient times) and he can't do anything to stop it.
backstory: he was born into a rich family (hence his acting like a brat), and it's rich because of the seer-ing magick that goes through his fam (squad). he had a spoiled, but happy childhood, until his parents go over to the dark side (aka ally with the king (is that our villain? i'd want it to be) like right before he flees the city (we should come up with names for stuff soon).
motivation for leaving city (only if your char. originally lived in city): parents left him with nothing, and living in shame on the streets is too much for his pride.
notes on writing this character: before development, make sure to make his dialogue loud, and make him seem like the person who's like “i have an opinion and im sharing it although nobody cares”. also make him as bratty and annoying as possible, and the One Guy In Which Everybody Hates . when looking over the group and describing him w/o dialogue, linger on how perpetually annoyed he seems and spend a bit of time describing him. during development, he's feeling Very Conflicted so he'll be a lot quieter, although he does still speak up often. when looking over the group and describing him w/o dialogue, make sure to highlight how conflicted he seems (don't just state it though, hint at it), and don't linger on him for too long. post development, he becomes a man of few words, so basically just make him say everything in as few words as possible. when looking over the group and describing him w/o dialogue: just barely do it, he's too unimportant and too quiet for most people (unless we incorporate some romance? i dont think Dalkyn is the type for a lot of romance tho)
name Casper
looks: black hair (covers his face somewhat), gold eyes, average height. Horns on his head (just two smol ones that poke out slightly)– usually hidden by a (baseball? does it exist in the world?) hat
personality: Casper is someone who loves people. He's social, charismatic, and loves to be in the center of attention. He's most comfortable and happy when he's with others, but surprisingly, it's really hard to gain his trust. Despite all of the friends that he has, none of them have really heard his private thoughts. Most don't even know that he's a dragon quarter (he has more than one way of disguising his horns– the hat is only the most common way).
Casper is most afraid of being left alone. His distrust in telling others what he's thinking draws back to that- he's afraid of thinking that he will be left alone if ‘how he is inside’ is not as liked as ‘how he is outside.’ He is actually a very insecure and sometimes judgmental (he thinks) character.
He's also an introvert- Casper is outgoing and loves to hang out with others, but it really does drain his energy. At the end of the day, he's found either reading (loves to study nature) or drawing, the latter especially kept secret to his friends.
Casper loves adventure and fun, but at the same time, he is afraid to leave his comfortable and easy life (afraid but a coward, haha).
post-dev: Casper has lost some of his insecurity! He's learned to accept the dragon part of him (which he's always tried to ignore due to stereotyping of dragons*). He's also become braver and stronger (mentally and physically and has learned it's okay to lean on others when you need to (he's always been too afraid to tell others– he used to never speak up at all).
species: 3/4 human, 1/4 dragon (his maternal grandmother was the dragon in the family)
backstory: Casper was raised in an upper-middle class household. He was adopted as a baby from an orphanage (parentage unknown), but it hasn't stopped him at all from being in a loving family. Other than that… pretty average life, haha
powers: (i know i said none before, but I changed my mind rip) fire powers- he considers them weak, but they're actually pretty strong. however, it's very raw and unpracticed because Casper doesn't use them at all (part of his “i reject the dragon side of me >:000 gasp” attitude ig)
motivation for leaving city: he didn't live there (may change)
notes (also random facts honestly haha): very insecure, but he actually seems (outwardly) confident. He talks a lot… and by that I mean a lot.
He does relatively well in his studies (advanced classes, however he's not considered one of ‘the’ smartest kids in the grade).
He has a (split face/chimera ) catto named Jekyll.
name: Talon (His real name is Galydreil, but he doesn't feel that he's earned that name yet. The humans named him Talon. )
age: 42 (I'm going to say that's around 18 in dragon years)
looks: Stark black scales, with accenting silver highlights(around eyes, a line down throat, and down sides and tail). Green eyes. Sharp stone-like black ridges running down his back. Crests of spines along his head and tail-tip. Black horns, jagged as if carved from stone (again) with matching talons. Wing membrane trimmed (his human captor's method of keeping him from going far).
personality, pre-dev.: Hostile, clever, untrusting, fierce, servile to humans, is generally mad at himself and the world.
personality, post-dev.: Gentle (ish), protective, clever, fierce, slightly more trusting, a little more accepting of himself and starts to go by his real name.
species: Dragon
power: He hasn't got one.
backstory: Just after he hatched, he was given his name by his mother, —-. Alas, shortly after, he was stollen away by a rich family and was raised as a servant of sorts to their household. However, when he began to grow large, he overheard the family speaking of how he would have to be put down before he became a danger to them. He failed in his attempt to run away, and to save his life he made a terrible bargain– He agreed to become a traitor to his own kind, to steal away other magical creatures with the chemical in their blood for the family so that they can become rich on the black market.
motivation for leaving city (only if your char. originally lived in city): He is still yet to escape. He wants nothing more than to be freed from his captors and leave the city. While he is allowed to leave the city for his hunts, if he does not return without a certain period of time, his captors have promised to hunt him down… (I might rethink this part a bit later on…)
notes on writing this character: He suffers from quite a lot of internal conflict as he has a habit of making really bad decisions. He ends up regretting these decisions, dislikes himself more and overall keeps falling further down into this pit, so far that he's just about accepted that as who he is. He's just about convinced himself that there is no amending what he's done and who he is. He sees himself as heartless and cunning– What he's needed to become to survive. Now and again he'l show a softer side, and throughout the story he should grow more protective of those he cares about and more accepting of who he is– A survivor, and a protector. All he really wants in the end is to undo the harms he has cast upon his kin, and defend them in some way.

Name: Ralyn Totif (probs will be changed)
Looks: Coffee-caramel skin, long black hair w/ red tips (which she can set on fire if she wants), brown eyes flecked w/ green and gold, red, orange, gold and yellow wings which she can also set on fire, the wingspan is 1.5m
Personality: In HP terms, a Slytherpuff. Quick, cunning, ambitious, but has a strong moral ground and fights for what she believes in. Quiet, overlooked at times, underrated. No one realises how sneaky or manipulative she is until she betrays them - but it turns out she was with the good guys all along; a many-layered character. At end of story she is more confident b/c she knows that she has done the good thing and this makes her feel good. Introverted.
Species: Half-pheonexi, half-human
Power: Fireee!! She can a) set her wings/hair on fire b) manipulate fire to do her bidding, but she CANNOT magically make it bigger c) she can make small fireballs in her hands, but nothing bigger than that. She never get to white/blue flames unless it’s a fight to the death.
Backstory: She was born and raised in the woods. She knows how to interact w/ people, but still prefers the company of the birds and trees, or her Faerie, Halius, who took to Ralyn when she was four. Her parents died to the hunters when she was 9, leaving her to fend for herself for a while.
Notes: Make sure she's viewed as the baby of the group; no one really takes her seriously, or bothers to let her in on their plans. Make sure there is some insight; a sneaky comment to show she's been listening, or a look on her face that indicates she knows more than the others think. Still, make her seem angelic and pure most of the time, because most of the time she is.

Name: Silvius (Sill-vy-us) Lakoi (La-coy)
Role: The Bounty Hunter
Appearance: Long dark hair that he ties back, startlingly gray eyes, coffee colored skin, lots of freckles, chewed nails, doesn't blink often, chapped lips, wears a small glass bottle around his neck (more tbd)
Personality: Blunt, bold, fixated, impatient, polite, serious, kind, good-natured, intelligent, mild, ambitious, quiet
Hobbies: He loves music but doesn't get the chance to practice it
Talents: Charm, blending in, gaining trust of others, lip-reading, multitasking
Flaws: In his eagerness to see everything, he misses out on the most obvious things sometimes, like the emotions of others
Mannerisms: Tends to bite his nails, doesn't blink often because he “doesn't want to miss anything”, talks super fast when he's excited
Backstory: I have a really hard time with backstories so TBD on this one

Last edited by TheEnderQueen (March 24, 2018 01:05:13)

isIand
Scratcher
89 posts

this is getting so hard to follow

respect existence or expect resistance