Discuss Scratch

KICK_THE_HABIT
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…


red_king_cyclops
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
Maybe people like to create chat rooms so much because it is a challenge. It must be hard to make a chat room due to the ever-increasing amount of cloud variable restrictions.

2+2=4
2*2=4
2^2=4
2^^2=4
2^^^2=4
2^^^^2=4

I see a pattern.
badatprogrammingibe
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

red_king_cyclops wrote:

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
Maybe people like to create chat rooms so much because it is a challenge. It must be hard to make a chat room due to the ever-increasing amount of cloud variable restrictions.
Not really—it's pretty much the exact same process, except you can store less information.
As I have said, this update doesn't impair the ability to create chat rooms, but it breaks so many other projects.
It's done more harm than good.

Last edited by badatprogrammingibe (Sept. 2, 2018 12:33:31)

CatIsFluffy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

Don't forget that this change was also done to reduce cloud server load.
Inkulumo
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

CatIsFluffy wrote:

Don't forget that this change was also done to reduce cloud server load.
yeah but characters are so small that they might as well just make it atleast 2048-16384 chars
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

So my project https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/141600571/ is broken?


Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop
sig by @myed - get yours here.

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.
MasterOfTheTiger: Worker at GlitterStores, Request Shop, +
MasterOfTheTiger: Devoted to the success of Scratch Shops.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!




csf30816
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

Inkulumo wrote:

CatIsFluffy wrote:

Don't forget that this change was also done to reduce cloud server load.
yeah but characters are so small that they might as well just make it atleast 2048-16384 chars
1 character may not take up much but this is run with WebSockets and with thousands of people using the cloud variables at the same it causes it to be a huge drain on resources. It's not just magic it actually has to get transferred from one place to another.

insert my old sig here
csf30816
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
His statement does not say that (although him saying that might make the ST want to limit it more). And making a chat room is a very fun experience that is easy and teaches you the basics of real-time networking. The ST had a rule (I don't know if it exists anymore) that you can have a chat room as long as it had a white-list filter. Another fact is he was just saying it's possible not that he is going to. Please fully read what you criticize.

insert my old sig here
badatprogrammingibe
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

csf30816 wrote:

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
His statement does not say that (although him saying that might make the ST want to limit it more). And making a chat room is a very fun experience that is easy and teaches you the basics of real-time networking. The ST had a rule (I don't know if it exists anymore) that you can have a chat room as long as it had a white-list filter. Another fact is he was just saying it's possible not that he is going to. Please fully read what you criticize.
It doesn't teach you anything about real networking, real networking involves a server and sending back and forth responses and requests, nothing like just changing and accessing a variable.
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

csf30816 wrote:

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
His statement does not say that (although him saying that might make the ST want to limit it more). And making a chat room is a very fun experience that is easy and teaches you the basics of real-time networking. The ST had a rule (I don't know if it exists anymore) that you can have a chat room as long as it had a white-list filter. Another fact is he was just saying it's possible not that he is going to. Please fully read what you criticize.
It doesn't teach you anything about real networking, real networking involves a server and sending back and forth responses and requests, nothing like just changing and accessing a variable.
What do you think happens after you set the variable?


Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop
sig by @myed - get yours here.

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.
MasterOfTheTiger: Worker at GlitterStores, Request Shop, +
MasterOfTheTiger: Devoted to the success of Scratch Shops.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!




CatIsFluffy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

Nothing anyone using Scratch cloud will learn about (without looking it up or something).
TailsFanV51
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

If I wanted to do connections, I'd do them with Mesh in Dream.

Come check out Sonic LUX, my Sonic thing!
wookie184
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

red_king_cyclops wrote:

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

It's still possible to implement a simple chat room, though limited.

In fact, your statement says that the scratch team has to cut the cloud variables even more. Very intelligent!
Maybe someone will explain to me why it is so fascinating to create a chat room on Scratch under all circumstances…
Maybe people like to create chat rooms so much because it is a challenge. It must be hard to make a chat room due to the ever-increasing amount of cloud variable restrictions.
Not really—it's pretty much the exact same process, except you can store less information.
As I have said, this update doesn't impair the ability to create chat rooms, but it breaks so many other projects.
It's done more harm than good.

I decided to make a chat room as a challenge and when the new rules were introduced I made a system that joined together as many cloud variables as I could to increase the maximum.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/221241368/




Google Chrome Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
I've been programming with Scratch for over 5 years, more recently i have learned Python and i am currently experimenting with c++



ideapad-320
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

KICK_THE_HABIT wrote:

Atleast the limit of cloud variables in a project isn't less than infinity (you can go over 10 variables)

Unfortunately not! Cloud data has a limit of up to ten (10) cloud variables per project. Cloud variables can contain only numbers (unlike regular variables, they cannot contain letters). A character limit of 128 digits per variable has also been implemented. Hexadecimal numbers are no longer supported. (https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Cloud_Data#cite_note-128limit-3)
You CAN!

1. Open create vars
2. fill all of them out
3. press ok on all of them

Generation 4: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
ideapad-320
My home computor:HP OMEN 15 with Ryzen 7 5800H, 16GB ram, and a RTX 3060
My school Computer: Crappy Chromebook.
Error Code 418
-Pyr-
Scratcher
35 posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

This broke everything…

OhHeyStranger
Scratcher
37 posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

*. I'm going to have to write a lot of code to get around this. I was really hoping to do a lot of stuff with the Cloud.
omtegu
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

you can use lists copy (or write it down) then paste in to a ask block (i'm a bit new to could vars) like lets see :

when green flag clicked
ask [do you have a code?] and wait
if <yes> then
ask [whats your code?] and wait
(i dunno the rest)


else
broadcast [start game without code v]
end

I do random stuff like this random song Its random thing

Now HIRING! Just click here for my shop link!
omtegu
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

jromagnoli wrote:

Killernotch101 wrote:

Actually, what if Scratch had you pay for extra cloud chars? (Shot in the back of the head)
DONT BRING MONETIZATION INTO SCRATCH
Scratch is educational and open source. Monetization would go against all their principles.
what dat

I do random stuff like this random song Its random thing

Now HIRING! Just click here for my shop link!
Pix1
Scratcher
35 posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

Monetization? That's basically paying to get stuff; like paying to get cloudvars or for DLC in a video game.

Pix1 - Perpetually bored.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
csf30816
Scratcher
500+ posts

Cloud Variables Limited to 128 Characters Now?

omtegu wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

Killernotch101 wrote:

Actually, what if Scratch had you pay for extra cloud chars? (Shot in the back of the head)
DONT BRING MONETIZATION INTO SCRATCH
Scratch is educational and open source. Monetization would go against all their principles.
what dat
Monetization is earning money from something or using it to get money. But I would rather just have it so I could hook up my personal server to a project.

insert my old sig here

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile