Discuss Scratch

AnimeEpisodic
Scratcher
100+ posts

"Older" Scratch Website? [Question, NOT Suggestion]

As some scratch users grow older, they start to post projects that either push the limits of scratch or that aren't necessarily for everyone. Considering this, is it possible that we may one day see an “older” or more mature scratch site?

I know what a few of you are saying. Scratch is a gateway for other coding languages. I get that; I code in Python now, but I still love coming back to scratch and trying out new things. However, with all the scratch restrictions, my fellow older scratchers and I who want to try out some new things with the coding language are feeling restricted. It's not like we can just embed an NFE project into our own websites either, as projects have to be shared to do that, and phosphorus is an alternative but it's very buggy.

This is all in lieu to MCAnimator2D's sCoin project being taken down, as well as a few of my games being taken down because they were NFE.

I just want some creative freedom that matches my age range

This is a discussion/question. Not really a suggestion.

Last edited by AnimeEpisodic (Feb. 12, 2018 13:40:14)

PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Not that I know of, but there is another website that is created for more experienced coders.
I forget the name, though.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
wWSunPandaWw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I know that you can use Khan Academy to learn about and code in Javascript, if that's what you're asking.
And no, there's not a 13+ Scratch site, that's a suggestion that was rejected, because it wouldn't really help with anything.

I moved to BelieverGirlSun
AnimeEpisodic
Scratcher
100+ posts

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

I know that you can use Khan Academy to learn about and code in Javascript, if that's what you're asking.
And no, there's not a 13+ Scratch site, that's a suggestion that was rejected, because it wouldn't really help with anything.
Wasn't asking if there was a site to learn about coding languages, I'm currently taking a Pyhton course at my university.

I wasn't suggesting either, please refer to the title of the discussion.

I was just saying, with the amount of OLDER scratchers that still stick around, will there one day be options for us.
AnimeEpisodic
Scratcher
100+ posts

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Also, I can see plenty of reasons why a “13+” scratch site would work. I get so upset when I see a project I worked on for a long time get an NFE or just booted off the site.

Also, I wasn't refering to “13+”. Just an undefined mature site/page.

I can see how kids could exploit the “13+” site however, but you can't really stop that from happening anywhere. Maybe someone in the community could make an offsite site? That still doesnt solve the issue of not being able to embed unshared projects.

Last edited by AnimeEpisodic (Feb. 12, 2018 14:20:19)

KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

I was just saying, with the amount of OLDER scratchers that still stick around, will there one day be options for us.
Not one created/endorsed by the Scratch team.

wWSunPandaWw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Also, I can see plenty of reasons why a “13+” scratch site would work. I get so upset when I see a project I worked on for a long time get an NFE or just booted off the site.

I can see how kids could exploit the “13+” site however, but you can't really stop that from happening anywhere. Maybe someone in the community could make an offsite site? That still doesnt solve the issue of not being able to embed unshared projects.
Quote from the Rejected suggestions list:

customhacker wrote:

13+ Site
Scratch is for all ages. Simple as that.
If you want to share your projects on the Scratch website, they have to be appropriate for all ages. You wanna make a project about a cute little bunny? Go ahead. Wanna make a project with blood, gore, and swear words? Absolutely not.
There will never be a 13+ version, despite how useful it may seem.

AnimeEpisodic
Scratcher
100+ posts

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

Quote from the Rejected suggestions list:

customhacker wrote:

13+ Site
Scratch is for all ages. Simple as that.
If you want to share your projects on the Scratch website, they have to be appropriate for all ages. You wanna make a project about a cute little bunny? Go ahead. Wanna make a project with blood, gore, and swear words? Absolutely not.

Well then I don't see the longevity of scratch from that perspective.
AnimeEpisodic
Scratcher
100+ posts

KingOfAwesome58219 wrote:

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

Not saying we are permitted to an option, just wondering if there will be one one day.

Why is this topic seen so negatively? Scratch, although rudimentary, is a powerful coding language that can be put to great use.
wWSunPandaWw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

Well then I don't see the longevity of scratch from that perspective.
Well, this website was made for younger kids to get excited about coding.
Schools and parents will still tell their students/kids “Hey, maybe you should try this safe website for coding”, and they'll try it out.
Actually, wait.
The only reason why those Schools and Parents are letting their kids use Scratch is…
IT HAS A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL AGES.
Removing this Safe Environment would make Schools and Parents dislike it, so they wouldn't let their kids use it, so not a lot of new users would join, bringing Scratch to its knees.
So, keeping this Safe Environment for all ages is actually helping Scratch stay alive, not ruining it.
If you don't like that Scratch is made for little kids and that your projects are required to be safe for them, then move to other places for older people.

PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No, a 13+ site will never come. It's rejected.
TheAwesome98
Scratcher
37 posts

Yes this perfect if ever! I need a pic of real gore but it taken down it fnaf gore edition

Technically it reduce our imagine

when green flag clicked
Be angry
Cool off :: motion
Sue scratch :: variables

Last edited by TheAwesome98 (Feb. 12, 2018 18:26:12)

you know how someone can be smart and dumb?? I’m like that
when green flag clicked
think of a good signature::custom
set [output v] to (output of last [think of a good signature v]::custom)
if <(output::variables) fails::custom> then
make some more sus blocks::operators // figured out comments it’s just common “//” syntax
wait until <boolean variable::variables>
grey::grey
ring ({
test::grey
}::ring)::operators //works?? Can’t see it cause of sig height (can do later on desktop, see below)
end
how are you here? did they extend signatures or are you using the debugger? Anyway, it’s good to see you. I might put an Easter egg or some sort of ARG down here one day but for now, no.

Turns out, ctrl-shift-down while highlighting lets you see more so this is useless, but cool to know.
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheAwesome98 wrote:

Yes this perfect if ever! I need a pic of real gore but it taken down it fnaf gore edition

Technically it reduce our imagine :@
This is a question, not a suggestion.
Scratch is 8+, so a FNAF gore project isn't appropriate.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
TheAwesome98
Scratcher
37 posts

KingOfAwesome58219 wrote:

AnimeEpisodic wrote:

Maybe there would be, called Hctarcs and no link on Scratch.

you know how someone can be smart and dumb?? I’m like that
when green flag clicked
think of a good signature::custom
set [output v] to (output of last [think of a good signature v]::custom)
if <(output::variables) fails::custom> then
make some more sus blocks::operators // figured out comments it’s just common “//” syntax
wait until <boolean variable::variables>
grey::grey
ring ({
test::grey
}::ring)::operators //works?? Can’t see it cause of sig height (can do later on desktop, see below)
end
how are you here? did they extend signatures or are you using the debugger? Anyway, it’s good to see you. I might put an Easter egg or some sort of ARG down here one day but for now, no.

Turns out, ctrl-shift-down while highlighting lets you see more so this is useless, but cool to know.
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

To answer your question, is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Almost a 0% chance the Scratch Team would ever do this. It won't actually increase the amount of total users, and it'll only divide io the community, and you never ever want division. Even though scratch is not for profit, if you look at Scratch as a business, this business decision would cost so much in costs and have have less benefits than costs. A whole new site means more infrastructure, staff, moderators, etc. Also, giving off the idea of “we're older so now we can be rougher” only ignites inappropriate behavior that calls for even more moderation.

-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No, the Scratch Team will never create an older version of Scratch. It was added to the list of rejected suggestions because it could potentially divide the community, and the chance that the ST will add a rejected suggestion is lower than the chance that the Sahara will freeze over.

<Insert uncreative signature here>

██       ██  ██            ██  ██       ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
███ ███ ██ ████ ██ ███ ███
█████████ █████ █████ █████████

“Though the seasons come and go, and sunshine turns to snow, we will always have tomorrow up ahead.”
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

You mean there will never be an official 13+ version. Someone could just make a 13+ community with a different name, Scratch is open-source.

Placeholder
CosmicBunBun
Scratcher
100+ posts

A +13 version of Scratch has already been rejected via the Suggestions subforum. What use would it have, even?

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

wWSunPandaWw wrote:

You mean there will never be an official 13+ version. Someone could just make a 13+ community with a different name, Scratch is open-source.
Yes, anybody can do that if they want certainly. But the community will be very small. Scratch has 2.5 million users. A site like that may get, oh, some thousands probably.

asqwde
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support!