Discuss Scratch

Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch 3.0 Technical Discussion

omkar2008 wrote:

This is so fascinating! But how do you get those pictures of code blocks?
Use scratchblocks in your post (DON'T SPAM SCRATCHBLOCKS, IT'S AGAINST THE RULES)

<scratchblocks> say for (2) secs </scratchblocks> (replace < > with )
=
 say [hello] for (2) secs 

Like I said, don't spam them or bad things happen to you

Also, this discussion is about the technical side of Scratch 3.0, you should only post here if you have something to add to the discussion.

MrMeowington wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

It seems that projects that use the pen extension in any way crash Scratch completely on mobile.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a RAM issue.
Would 3GB of RAM with nothing else running be enough? I was using an iPhone 7 Plus.
Considering my Galaxy S8 has 4GB of RAM and has issues probably not.

Mobile devices are underpowered as well, so 3-4 GB might be just fine on desktops. I should try with my Raspberry Pis.
If a mobile device with 4GB of RAM has performance issues, I highly doubt that a Raspberry Pi with only 1GB of SRAM (and using a very similar ARM processor) would function any better; actually, it would probably function worse.
Idk, my PC (with 2 GB of RAM and an i3 processor) runs 3.0 just fine, and in fact better than it runs 2.0. This might just be because of the processor though, i'm not sure how powerful modern phones are

Last edited by Greenduck54 (March 1, 2019 13:06:39)

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Jan. 1, 2020 00:00:00)
oh no, the joke is dead because that time is no longer in the future :I
Last edited by Greenduck54 (Apr. 20, 2069 00:00:00)
that's better
;
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Greenduck54 wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

MrMeowington wrote:

It seems that projects that use the pen extension in any way crash Scratch completely on mobile.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's a RAM issue.
Would 3GB of RAM with nothing else running be enough? I was using an iPhone 7 Plus.
Considering my Galaxy S8 has 4GB of RAM and has issues probably not.

Mobile devices are underpowered as well, so 3-4 GB might be just fine on desktops. I should try with my Raspberry Pis.
If a mobile device with 4GB of RAM has performance issues, I highly doubt that a Raspberry Pi with only 1GB of SRAM (and using a very similar ARM processor) would function any better; actually, it would probably function worse.
Idk, my PC (with 2 GB of RAM and an i3 processor) runs 3.0 just fine, and in fact better than it runs 2.0. This might just be because of the processor though, i'm not sure how powerful modern phones are

Power limit may also play a part. Desktops can draw significantly more power than a phone.

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(fixing the link)

TypeLuo
Scratcher
12 posts

Hi, I am making a game where the Center tool is needed very much, anyone know if the center tool still exists/way to center sprites? I looked at discussions such as this one https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/2953 where some Scratchers discussed this, but they seemed to have scrapped it. Also, it would be nice if they had a way to go use the historical version of Scratch 2.0, like historical versions in Minecraft that can be edited in settings.

So my suggestion basically asks if there could be:
- maybe a way to use scratch 2.0 to edit
- PLEASE a way to center sprites. PLEASE!!!
Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

TypeLuo wrote:

Hi, I am making a game where the Center tool is needed very much, anyone know if the center tool still exists/way to center sprites? I looked at discussions such as this one https://github.com/LLK/scratch-gui/issues/2953 where some Scratchers discussed this, but they seemed to have scrapped it. Also, it would be nice if they had a way to go use the historical version of Scratch 2.0, like historical versions in Minecraft that can be edited in settings.

So my suggestion basically asks if there could be:
- maybe a way to use scratch 2.0 to edit
- PLEASE a way to center sprites. PLEASE!!!
1. Use the 2.0 offline editor
go to x: (0) y: (0)
There's a good chance that it's not gonna be a seperate tool because it's pretty useless

I used to make stuff on here, now i just come on when i'm bored, don't expect anything from me now.
that's better
;
s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

Greenduck54 wrote:

There's a good chance that it's not gonna be a seperate tool because it's pretty useless

Useless?! Not at all. I would say it is vital if you don't want to get crazy when you change the costume of a sprite and you have to keep moving it at each change.
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

Greenduck54 wrote:

Useless?! Not at all. I would say it is vital if you don't want to get crazy when you change the costume of a sprite and you have to keep moving it at each change.
Yes. Center took on the costume editor is important.
I think we can all agree that the paint editor needs some work.

s_federici
Scratcher
500+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

Unfortunately, there are several things that (since Scratch 2) are not ideal when you are interested in teaching Scratch. It seems to me that Scratch 1.4 was more deeply engineered in order to make it an easy to use tool. These very useful details were partly lost in Scratch 2, and even more in Scratch 3. I hope that Scratch 3 is wip and that the Scratch Team is going to re-add them in a close or far future. So, even if it can be incredible, after 5 years (and all the time I spent on translating Scratch 2, the Scratch 2 website, Scratch 3, etc), I'm still using Scratch 1.4 for my students. It has all the necessary computational power and it has the easy-to-use things you want when you are going to learn a new technology and you are not so sure you are going to like it (this is at least the attitude of my students, that must learn computer programming in a human studies degree). Just to give a few examples:
  • the font is too small and thin to be clearly seen by students when you are using an overhead projector. In Scratch 1.4 you had a bold font and you could enlarge it by changing the language file
  • the sprite name, if longer than the provided space, cannot be fully seen. In Scratch 1.4 you could see the full sprite name by hovering on the sprite thumbnail (note: even in Scratch 1.4 you could not see the full costume and sound names if they were longer than the provided space)
  • the mouse coordinates are not shown in the interface. In Scratch 1.4/2.0 you could see them below the Stage
  • you cannot easily create “reactive parts” of a sprite or of a background. In Scratch 1.4 you could easily create new sprites and costumes by selecting a part of what was shown on the Stage by right-clicking the sprite/Stage. I use this feature a lot when I teach teachers how to easily use Scratch for their teaching (in all subjects)
  • you cannot easily resize a sprite. In Scratch 1.4 you could 1) use the enlarge/shrink tools above the Stage or 2) right click the sprite on the Stage and have a handle show up that allowed you to finely resize the sprite. This can be added to Scratch 3 by creating something similar to what happens when in Scratch 3 you click inside the “direction” box, under the Stage
  • you don't know that a sprite can have multiple rotation styles until you click inside the “direction” box, under the Stage. In Scratch 1.4 you had the little buttons clearly visible in the sprite info area
  • you don't know that you can lock/unlock a sprite until you discover the “set drag mode” block. In Scratch 1.4 you had the little lock clearly visible in the sprite info area
  • now you can remove a single block from a sequence of blocks only by disassembling the script, removing the top/bottom block, and then reassembling the script. In Scratch 1.4 you had the Delete tool, right above the Stage, that allowed you to delete the block by clicking it in the script. I guess the “Delete 1 block” item could be easily added to the right-click menu of Scratch 3 when clicking a block in a sequence of blocks
  • In Scratch 1.4/2.0 there where very useful options in the position argument of the list blocks. These options are now missing. Indeed, you could easily select 1/last/any/all as a position. Now instead you have a separate block for “remove all items”, and you must embed another/other blocks in a list block in order to get the same outcome. This creates very opaque scripts in Scratch 3, such as <item <lenght of list> of list> (instead of <item last of list> or <item <pick random 1 to <length of list>> of list> (instead of <item any of list>)
  • comments, that are very useful when you create scripts for your students, are very annoying in Scratch 2 and 3, as they keep overlapping and you have to carefully reposition every single comment. In scratch 1.4 comments were instead cleverly spread around so not to overlap. A good option in Scratch 3 is that you can move a comment and keep it linked to its block. But you are not able to detach it from its block, for example to link it to a different block. You must delete it and create a new comment
  • there is no (still?) help for the blocks when you right-click them
  • a very useful option in Scratch 2 (that was not available unfortunately in Scratch 1.4, I hope this is going to be very soon back in Scratch 3) was the possibility of renaming messages and finding their senders/receivers (NOTE: when you look for the sender/receiver it would be very useful to highlight the sender/receiver BLOCKS too in the scripts, and not only the sender/receiver sprite)
On the contrary, there are some (at least to me) useless options in Scratch 3, for example:
  • now you can delete a list by clicking the list selection menu (the last argument in the list blocks). I would never think of clicking a block that acts on a list in order to remove the list. Would someone?

I hope Scratch 3 will be soon a very useful tool like Scratch 1.4 has been for my students for 10 years. I'm deeply grateful to the Scratch Team for allowing 1,4 projects to be open in Scratch 2/3 and uploaded to the website. Unfortunately, for my students remixing Scratch 3 projects is not an option, as Scratch 2/3 projects cannot be open in Scratch 1.4 (there is a scratch 2 to Scratch 1.4 “retro converter”, but even that tool can not fully translate images and sounds)
Jeffalo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

s_federici wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Unfortunately, there are several things that (since Scratch 2) are not ideal when you are interested in teaching Scratch. It seems to me that Scratch 1.4 was more deeply engineered in order to make it an easy to use tool. These very useful details were partly lost in Scratch 2, and even more in Scratch 3. I hope that Scratch 3 is wip and that the Scratch Team is going to re-add them in a close or far future. So, even if it can be incredible, after 5 years (and all the time I spent on translating Scratch 2, the Scratch 2 website, Scratch 3, etc), I'm still using Scratch 1.4 for my students. It has all the necessary computational power and it has the easy-to-use things you want when you are going to learn a new technology and you are not so sure you are going to like it (this is at least the attitude of my students, that must learn computer programming in a human studies degree). Just to give a few examples:
  • the font is too small and thin to be clearly seen by students when you are using an overhead projector. In Scratch 1.4 you had a bold font and you could enlarge it by changing the language file
  • the sprite name, if longer than the provided space, cannot be fully seen. In Scratch 1.4 you could see the full sprite name by hovering on the sprite thumbnail (note: even in Scratch 1.4 you could not see the full costume and sound names if they were longer than the provided space)
  • the mouse coordinates are not shown in the interface. In Scratch 1.4/2.0 you could see them below the Stage
  • you cannot easily create “reactive parts” of a sprite or of a background. In Scratch 1.4 you could easily create new sprites and costumes by selecting a part of what was shown on the Stage by right-clicking the sprite/Stage. I use this feature a lot when I teach teachers how to easily use Scratch for their teaching (in all subjects)
  • you cannot easily resize a sprite. In Scratch 1.4 you could 1) use the enlarge/shrink tools above the Stage or 2) right click the sprite on the Stage and have a handle show up that allowed you to finely resize the sprite. This can be added to Scratch 3 by creating something similar to what happens when in Scratch 3 you click inside the “direction” box, under the Stage
  • you don't know that a sprite can have multiple rotation styles until you click inside the “direction” box, under the Stage. In Scratch 1.4 you had the little buttons clearly visible in the sprite info area
  • you don't know that you can lock/unlock a sprite until you discover the “set drag mode” block. In Scratch 1.4 you had the little lock clearly visible in the sprite info area
  • now you can remove a single block from a sequence of blocks only by disassembling the script, removing the top/bottom block, and then reassembling the script. In Scratch 1.4 you had the Delete tool, right above the Stage, that allowed you to delete the block by clicking it in the script. I guess the “Delete 1 block” item could be easily added to the right-click menu of Scratch 3 when clicking a block in a sequence of blocks
  • In Scratch 1.4/2.0 there where very useful options in the position argument of the list blocks. These options are now missing. Indeed, you could easily select 1/last/any/all as a position. Now instead you have a separate block for “remove all items”, and you must embed another/other blocks in a list block in order to get the same outcome. This creates very opaque scripts in Scratch 3, such as <item <lenght of list> of list> (instead of <item last of list> or <item <pick random 1 to <length of list>> of list> (instead of <item any of list>)
  • comments, that are very useful when you create scripts for your students, are very annoying in Scratch 2 and 3, as they keep overlapping and you have to carefully reposition every single comment. In scratch 1.4 comments were instead cleverly spread around so not to overlap. A good option in Scratch 3 is that you can move a comment and keep it linked to its block. But you are not able to detach it from its block, for example to link it to a different block. You must delete it and create a new comment
  • there is no (still?) help for the blocks when you right-click them
  • a very useful option in Scratch 2 (that was not available unfortunately in Scratch 1.4, I hope this is going to be very soon back in Scratch 3) was the possibility of renaming messages and finding their senders/receivers (NOTE: when you look for the sender/receiver it would be very useful to highlight the sender/receiver BLOCKS too in the scripts, and not only the sender/receiver sprite)
On the contrary, there are some (at least to me) useless options in Scratch 3, for example:
  • now you can delete a list by clicking the list selection menu (the last argument in the list blocks). I would never think of clicking a block that acts on a list in order to remove the list. Would someone?

I hope Scratch 3 will be soon a very useful tool like Scratch 1.4 has been for my students for 10 years. I'm deeply grateful to the Scratch Team for allowing 1,4 projects to be open in Scratch 2/3 and uploaded to the website. Unfortunately, for my students remixing Scratch 3 projects is not an option, as Scratch 2/3 projects cannot be open in Scratch 1.4 (there is a scratch 2 to Scratch 1.4 “retro converter”, but even that tool can not fully translate images and sounds)

I'm sure the Scratch Team needs all this feedback, I would recomend using their GitHub to post issues so that they can easily find each of these problems and hopefully fix them.

disclaimer: sometimes my posts are pretty critical of the scratch team (especially my older ones), but i really do scratch & scratch team. jvvg made a short essay thing about the scratch team, which is a pretty good read, if you want a different perspective for the scratch team's actions.

my website: jeffalo.net | ocular: scratch forum search

Brother_Studio
New to Scratch
1 post

cool
Ed8
Scratcher
100+ posts

Does anyone know what happened to the full screen function on tablets?

Scratch 3.0 is here!
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ed8 wrote:

What do you mean?

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

Ed8 wrote:

What do you mean?

It used to be that editing a project on a tablet could go fullscreen if the browser supported it. It would get rid of the address bar, tabs, and stuff like that. At least in iOS safari, it was kind of glitchy due to the tablet thinking Scratch was presenting a fake phishing keyboard, displaying a warning message, and going out of fullscreen. Other than that and the lagginess, it was actually pretty close to a web app.

Scratch to Pygame converter: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/600562/
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

imfh wrote:

infinitytec wrote:

Ed8 wrote:

What do you mean?

It used to be that editing a project on a tablet could go fullscreen if the browser supported it. It would get rid of the address bar, tabs, and stuff like that. At least in iOS safari, it was kind of glitchy due to the tablet thinking Scratch was presenting a fake phishing keyboard, displaying a warning message, and going out of fullscreen. Other than that and the lagginess, it was actually pretty close to a web app.
I never saw that happen on Android, so I guess I have never seen a change.

Greenduck54
Scratcher
500+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

s_federici wrote:

Greenduck54 wrote:

Oh, I thought they were talking about the center sprite on screen tool, not the one in the paint editor
Right now the 2.0 editor is way better than the 3.0 one. There are a lot of things that should be added (imo):

Pasting a sprite putting the pasted sprite right on the mouse (right now it's so clunky and ends up wasting a lot of time)
Transparency
-75% whitespace
Center sprite
The Scratch font (rest in peace)
Ability to type in RGB or hex codes for a color (especially rgb because the values are already displayed currently

that's better
;
horsejumper654
Scratcher
3 posts

this is amazing
say [so cool]

Last edited by horsejumper654 (March 31, 2019 21:29:26)

ihgfedcba
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch 3.0 Technical Discussion: There's an empty costume movement bug.
twins_paradox
Scratcher
40 posts

In a project I'm developing, I can't seem to create more clones. When I save the project to my computer, the file size is only 301 KB. The project has 616 sprites. I can create more i the online editor, but after I save it, and the reopen it, the new ones are not there. It still has 616 sprites.
How can I get past this “limit”?
The project is not shared yet:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/296656494/
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

twins_paradox wrote:

In a project I'm developing, I can't seem to create more clones. When I save the project to my computer, the file size is only 301 KB. The project has 616 sprites. I can create more i the online editor, but after I save it, and the reopen it, the new ones are not there. It still has 616 sprites.
How can I get past this “limit”?
The project is not shared yet:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/296656494/
Are you using the clone blocks? If so, those are on a per-project run basis.

novice27b
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I was having a look a the structure of the new project.json file. It has a really interesting structure, with blocks “flattened” into a single map. What are the technical reasons behind this design, as opposed to the 2.0 version, where the block json had a more hierarchical on-file structure?

You can create scripts where the script definition itself is infinite. This crashes the interpreter… https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/302592991/

Last edited by novice27b (April 15, 2019 01:01:53)

i use arch btw