Discuss Scratch

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

Hello, once again, world!
I am Hahasamian, known around here for all my Sonic projects.
But I also LOVE Mega Man games, especially ones I can win.
The new announcement for Mega Man 11 disappointed me a little, though…
While I can't say it will be a bad game, at this point the series needs a reboot, not a game with a terribly uncreative name.
I'm not here to criticize Capcom though, but instead to tell people about my idea for one such title!

Here's a little bit of info I scraped from a HUGE document I have on it.
The game's name is Mega Man Rivals. It has an Adventure Mode with six Legends characters, which is more like three pairs of two. Each pair represents a gameplay style major Mega Man titles have had over the years:
There is the Classic style, where you play in a 2D/2.5D stage and run, jump, and shoot (among other things),
the awesome 3D gameplay style I can only call Legends,
and the RPG style of the Battle Network series.
The game will also have a Classic Mode, where you can play as several more characters. The game will not try to ignore any (good) piece of Mega Man history, but instead will try to combine everything together in one awesome game!
There will be several Robot Masters to fight, and an Element system as well, of course. After beating all the Masters, you can fight the game's final boss.
There will be several ways the different styles get combined, so they aren't isolated from each other.
These are the most important details I'll note. I can tell you all a lot more if you ask.

What I'm looking for in starting this thread is suggestions on how to improve the three styles of gameplay I mentioned. I already have some ideas, of course, but I want to hear your suggestions. Sorry if I push back on any good ideas, I'm quite attached to the way I see the game right now. If you have any scenarios to put in-between Robot Masters, or if you have any Robot Master concepts, I'd love to hear them!
Here's some questions to get started!
  • Should the game be non-linear? Do you think a linear story would work in a non-linear game?
  • Which, if any, characters do you think should have a Legends-type upgrade system?
  • How should the player be able to save their game?
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to hear your suggestions!

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

So, its based on the Legends world? Nice. Also, not to sound uneducated in gaming terms or anything, but what does “linear” mean? the only other time that I've heard that word used in a sentence, it was in math terms. I also think that I have an idea for a robot master. It will be kind of like a copy bot, and will use its surroundings to attack. (examples: If it scans a missile, it will fire a small one from its arm cannon at the player. If it scans a more common object like a light post, it will produce a blinding flash of light that will reverse the player's controls temporarily and leave them more susceptible to its regular attacks that it will do right after its copy attacks) (examples of regular attacks: Buster shot: Oddly enough, this robot master has a buster like Mega Man's and will use it to try and shoot the player. Hand-to-hand combat: It will attack the player with punches and kicks.) I'm thinking of calling it “Copy Man”, but that decision is up to you.

Last edited by rgl0000 (Feb. 4, 2018 00:48:49)


when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

MunchJrGames
Scratcher
13 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

I know nothing about Capcom, but i'm pretty sure they're just testing the temperature of the pool before hopping right in. I mean, the last actual Megaman game came out like, what, 8 years ago? They're a little rusty, and in need of some oil, they need the cheap stuff before they can purchase the branded lubricant.
hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

So, its based on the Legends world? Nice. Also, not to sound uneducated in gaming terms or anything, but what does “linear” mean? the only other time that I've heard that word used in a sentence, it was in math terms. I also think that I have an idea for a robot master. It will be kind of like a copy bot, and will use its surroundings to attack. (examples: If it scans a missile, it will fire a small one from its arm cannon at the player. If it scans a more common object like a light post, it will produce a blinding flash of light that will reverse the player's controls temporarily and leave them more susceptible to its regular attacks that it will do right after its copy attacks) (examples of regular attacks: Buster shot: Oddly enough, this robot master has a buster like Mega Man's and will use it to try and shoot the player. Hand-to-hand combat: It will attack the player with punches and kicks.) I'm thinking of calling it “Copy Man”, but that decision is up to you.
Not bad! It sounds like an Electric-type Master, and for this reason I'm not sure about making it a Robot Master. Why? Enter RetroMan.
RetroMan was my idea for the electric boss in Rivals 1 (note I plan on making at least 2, possibly 4 games). His design is basically a CRT for a head on top of a normal Robot Master body. He might have three different versions, based off the three different styles in Rivals, but it will at least have the first, which launches you into a Classic Mega Man level– 8-bit, Classic designs and all. It does not matter what character you're playing as, it will launch you into that stage. I think it would be pretty cool.
BUT that is not to say I don't like your idea. (If you were referencing the CopyBots from Battle Network 6, I love it even more!) It may show up as a boss in one of the games. Perhaps even a final boss, though that would mean a long wait until Rivals 3 (for story reasons).
I will quickly note that Rivals may not ever become a game, but if it will, I plan on using Unreal Engine 4!
As for linear, in this case I'm referencing the “non-linear” style of games like Mega Man 1. You can select any one of the game's levels from the start; you don't need to choose a certain order. By “linear story”, then, I mean that the game's events cannot happen in any order. You can't, for a random example, have the Bonnes kidnap Data and then have him help you unlock a sub-gate or something– You have to get him back first!

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

MunchJrGames wrote:

I know nothing about Capcom, but i'm pretty sure they're just testing the temperature of the pool before hopping right in. I mean, the last actual Megaman game came out like, what, 8 years ago? They're a little rusty, and in need of some oil, they need the cheap stuff before they can purchase the branded lubricant.
I see your point. It has been a long time since a Mega Man game came out, that was also the reason I had the idea for Rivals. I knew that Capcom couldn't get away with re-releasing Mega Man games forever.
I wish the best of luck– no, not luck, skill, for the people working on MM11. I didn't mean to be rude about it.
I was just sayin', the name is kinda dull.

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So, its based on the Legends world? Nice. Also, not to sound uneducated in gaming terms or anything, but what does “linear” mean? the only other time that I've heard that word used in a sentence, it was in math terms. I also think that I have an idea for a robot master. It will be kind of like a copy bot, and will use its surroundings to attack. (examples: If it scans a missile, it will fire a small one from its arm cannon at the player. If it scans a more common object like a light post, it will produce a blinding flash of light that will reverse the player's controls temporarily and leave them more susceptible to its regular attacks that it will do right after its copy attacks) (examples of regular attacks: Buster shot: Oddly enough, this robot master has a buster like Mega Man's and will use it to try and shoot the player. Hand-to-hand combat: It will attack the player with punches and kicks.) I'm thinking of calling it “Copy Man”, but that decision is up to you.
Not bad! It sounds like an Electric-type Master, and for this reason I'm not sure about making it a Robot Master. Why? Enter RetroMan.
RetroMan was my idea for the electric boss in Rivals 1 (note I plan on making at least 2, possibly 4 games). His design is basically a CRT for a head on top of a normal Robot Master body. He might have three different versions, based off the three different styles in Rivals, but it will at least have the first, which launches you into a Classic Mega Man level– 8-bit, Classic designs and all. It does not matter what character you're playing as, it will launch you into that stage. I think it would be pretty cool.
BUT that is not to say I don't like your idea. (If you were referencing the CopyBots from Battle Network 6, I love it even more!) It may show up as a boss in one of the games. Perhaps even a final boss, though that would mean a long wait until Rivals 3 (for story reasons).
I will quickly note that Rivals may not ever become a game, but if it will, I plan on using Unreal Engine 4!
As for linear, in this case I'm referencing the “non-linear” style of games like Mega Man 1. You can select any one of the game's levels from the start; you don't need to choose a certain order. By “linear story”, then, I mean that the game's events cannot happen in any order. You can't, for a random example, have the Bonnes kidnap Data and then have him help you unlock a sub-gate or something– You have to get him back first!
Thanks for giving me the definition. I think this game would be better if it were linear. Also, just a side note, the robot master can copy other things to. (Like, maybe a racecar, or even another robot master, for example) (This might make it more of a final boss type thing, because (If it doesn't interfere with the story) I was thinking that after you defeat a robot master, this one would go there after you left and would collect the data from that robot master)

when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So, its based on the Legends world? Nice. Also, not to sound uneducated in gaming terms or anything, but what does “linear” mean? the only other time that I've heard that word used in a sentence, it was in math terms. I also think that I have an idea for a robot master. It will be kind of like a copy bot, and will use its surroundings to attack. (examples: If it scans a missile, it will fire a small one from its arm cannon at the player. If it scans a more common object like a light post, it will produce a blinding flash of light that will reverse the player's controls temporarily and leave them more susceptible to its regular attacks that it will do right after its copy attacks) (examples of regular attacks: Buster shot: Oddly enough, this robot master has a buster like Mega Man's and will use it to try and shoot the player. Hand-to-hand combat: It will attack the player with punches and kicks.) I'm thinking of calling it “Copy Man”, but that decision is up to you.
Not bad! It sounds like an Electric-type Master, and for this reason I'm not sure about making it a Robot Master. Why? Enter RetroMan.
RetroMan was my idea for the electric boss in Rivals 1 (note I plan on making at least 2, possibly 4 games). His design is basically a CRT for a head on top of a normal Robot Master body. He might have three different versions, based off the three different styles in Rivals, but it will at least have the first, which launches you into a Classic Mega Man level– 8-bit, Classic designs and all. It does not matter what character you're playing as, it will launch you into that stage. I think it would be pretty cool.
BUT that is not to say I don't like your idea. (If you were referencing the CopyBots from Battle Network 6, I love it even more!) It may show up as a boss in one of the games. Perhaps even a final boss, though that would mean a long wait until Rivals 3 (for story reasons).
I will quickly note that Rivals may not ever become a game, but if it will, I plan on using Unreal Engine 4!
As for linear, in this case I'm referencing the “non-linear” style of games like Mega Man 1. You can select any one of the game's levels from the start; you don't need to choose a certain order. By “linear story”, then, I mean that the game's events cannot happen in any order. You can't, for a random example, have the Bonnes kidnap Data and then have him help you unlock a sub-gate or something– You have to get him back first!
Thanks for giving me the definition. I think this game would be better if it were linear. Also, just a side note, the robot master can copy other things to. (Like, maybe a racecar, or even another robot master, for example) (This might make it more of a final boss type thing, because (If it doesn't interfere with the story) I was thinking that after you defeat a robot master, this one would go there after you left and would collect the data from that robot master)
Sounds cool! I was kinda thinking the same thing.
I've been thinking through the 2.5D characters' gameplay recently. Wanna hear some about my ideas?

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So, its based on the Legends world? Nice. Also, not to sound uneducated in gaming terms or anything, but what does “linear” mean? the only other time that I've heard that word used in a sentence, it was in math terms. I also think that I have an idea for a robot master. It will be kind of like a copy bot, and will use its surroundings to attack. (examples: If it scans a missile, it will fire a small one from its arm cannon at the player. If it scans a more common object like a light post, it will produce a blinding flash of light that will reverse the player's controls temporarily and leave them more susceptible to its regular attacks that it will do right after its copy attacks) (examples of regular attacks: Buster shot: Oddly enough, this robot master has a buster like Mega Man's and will use it to try and shoot the player. Hand-to-hand combat: It will attack the player with punches and kicks.) I'm thinking of calling it “Copy Man”, but that decision is up to you.
Not bad! It sounds like an Electric-type Master, and for this reason I'm not sure about making it a Robot Master. Why? Enter RetroMan.
RetroMan was my idea for the electric boss in Rivals 1 (note I plan on making at least 2, possibly 4 games). His design is basically a CRT for a head on top of a normal Robot Master body. He might have three different versions, based off the three different styles in Rivals, but it will at least have the first, which launches you into a Classic Mega Man level– 8-bit, Classic designs and all. It does not matter what character you're playing as, it will launch you into that stage. I think it would be pretty cool.
BUT that is not to say I don't like your idea. (If you were referencing the CopyBots from Battle Network 6, I love it even more!) It may show up as a boss in one of the games. Perhaps even a final boss, though that would mean a long wait until Rivals 3 (for story reasons).
I will quickly note that Rivals may not ever become a game, but if it will, I plan on using Unreal Engine 4!
As for linear, in this case I'm referencing the “non-linear” style of games like Mega Man 1. You can select any one of the game's levels from the start; you don't need to choose a certain order. By “linear story”, then, I mean that the game's events cannot happen in any order. You can't, for a random example, have the Bonnes kidnap Data and then have him help you unlock a sub-gate or something– You have to get him back first!
Thanks for giving me the definition. I think this game would be better if it were linear. Also, just a side note, the robot master can copy other things to. (Like, maybe a racecar, or even another robot master, for example) (This might make it more of a final boss type thing, because (If it doesn't interfere with the story) I was thinking that after you defeat a robot master, this one would go there after you left and would collect the data from that robot master)
Sounds cool! I was kinda thinking the same thing.
I've been thinking through the 2.5D characters' gameplay recently. Wanna hear some about my ideas?
Sure.

when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

I've been thinking through the 2.5D characters' gameplay recently. Wanna hear some about my ideas?
Sure.
Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.

So, let's start with Roll, I've been thinking about her gameplay more.
Roll will take up the Blast Wrench as her weapon. Her main form of combat with it (here's the shocker!) will be melee– short-ranged. She will use what I call the Directional Attack Stick (think like the C-Stick in Smash Bros.) to attack in different directions. Tron may use this too.
By pressing the L or R buttons, she can use the Wrench Blast, which is a combination of the dash move from Mega Man X and the Dragon Boost (yes!) from Freedom Planet. The move lets out a wave of energy from the wrench while shooting the player in the opposite direction. If the player uses it in an upward or downward direction, they can ricochet (that's bounce for you Battle Network 3 people) (yes I have to make grammar jokes… TRON “BOONE”) off walls. Like Lilac's Dragon Boost, it uses an energy meter that slowly gets refilled. This attack will be useful for boss fights as well as smashing some walls (that wave is strong!). The boost effect it has on the player might also be indefinite as long as the direction is held down, though the meter might also remain at “0” as long as it is. This would keep the player from needing to jump to prolong the boost like in X (though that is kinda fun).
Her wrench will also have several elements that can be equipped to it, as many as there are Robot Masters, of course.
She can also build more weapons with parts she finds throughout Stages and Missions, some of which will be long-ranged.
She will also be able to climb walls like X.
That's it for Roll's 2.5D gameplay. And don't worry, the levels/enemies will be difficult but built in mind that Roll has a short-ranged weapon. And that weapon will, of course, deal out more damage than, say, Classic Mega Man's Buster Gun.
Oh and for @rgl0000 ‘s curiosity I’ll briefly mention that she is shielded by an energy shield coming from her cap– when it runs out of energy (which is depleted as she is hit) the cap flies off (instead of sucking energy from her like I had it do in the RP) and she is vulnerable to any attack. Tron may have a similar shield.
Yes, I have to be realistic, this is Legends!


Now for Tron.
So Tron Bonne will have these things in common with Roll: she can build and equip different weapons, equip elements to those weapons, and a bunch of little things I may have forgotten to mention. Here's the rest:
Tron will take up her Laser Drill, a long-range weapon that can shoot Legends-type shots (so… they don't go through walls), though she can still charge shots, as one shot is fired every time the Attack button is pressed and released. She may have the three-shots-on-screen-at-one-time limitation, like… well, at least MMX has it. I dunno about those other Mega Man games, though I'd assume they have it. EDIT NOTE: After purchasing Legacy Collection it looks like the Classic games have this limit too. I might make the system a bit different or just directly replicate the originals.
She can use her special attack, the Drill Shower, with the L or R buttons. It shoots off a rapid barrage of shots and uses a meter like Roll's Wrench Blast.
She may also be able to fly (something I sometimes thought I needed to do in X) with some Jet Boots (or maybe a Jetpack or Jet Wings or whatever. The important thing is she can fly.). This will, of course, be limited, possibly by the Power Meter or a separate, invisible meter.
EDIT NOTE: Tron may also be able to use a variant of Classic Mega Man's slide attack, allowing her to go at least a bit faster. So Tron will more-or-less replicate Classic Mega Man, but with some changes.

Please note you don't have to quote this entire comment. In fact, it might be nice to just show the parts you are replying to, if giving suggestions.

Last edited by hahasamian (Feb. 20, 2018 22:39:55)


Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.
Nice. Do you have anything on the 3D gameplay? Also, which platform are you going to use for the game? (Because I kinda want to play it on Scratch)

(I think I broke the quoting script by shortening the quote. oops.)

Last edited by rgl0000 (Feb. 11, 2018 01:57:23)


when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.
Nice. Do you have anything on the 3D gameplay? Also, which platform are you going to use for the game? (Because I kinda want to play it on Scratch)

(I think I broke the quoting script by shortening the quote. oops.)
Got it covered.
Anyway, I will probably design the game at first with modern but not perfect models and graphical effects (I am one person after all, one person who might have trouble running graphically intense projects on UE4). The graphics may be upscaled from that point, once the game leaves my hands. I plan to release it on as many platforms as possible… while still preserving the game's playablility. Steam will be one platform, for sure, and I may actually post a few proof-of-concept-type demos on Scratch. I'd also want to release it on Xbox One (which, by the way, is a really confusing name), PS4, and Nintendo Switch (though I'd need testers, I don't actually own any of these consoles). Some games to promote the series may be released on mobile, but I dunno if mobile is a good idea when it comes to Rivals itself. Now, note this is all in theory, considering I can get into that sort of a position where I could legally create and release a Mega Man game.
As for the 3D gameplay… I might post on it later.

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.
Nice. Do you have anything on the 3D gameplay? Also, which platform are you going to use for the game? (Because I kinda want to play it on Scratch)

(I think I broke the quoting script by shortening the quote. oops.)
Got it covered.
Anyway, I will probably design the game at first with modern but not perfect models and graphical effects (I am one person after all, one person who might have trouble running graphically intense projects on UE4). The graphics may be upscaled from that point, once the game leaves my hands. I plan to release it on as many platforms as possible… while still preserving the game's playablility. Steam will be one platform, for sure, and I may actually post a few proof-of-concept-type demos on Scratch. I'd also want to release it on Xbox One (which, by the way, is a really confusing name), PS4, and Nintendo Switch (though I'd need testers, I don't actually own any of these consoles). Some games to promote the series may be released on mobile, but I dunno if mobile is a good idea when it comes to Rivals itself. Now, note this is all in theory, considering I can get into that sort of a position where I could legally create and release a Mega Man game.
As for the 3D gameplay… I might post on it later.
I ‘might’ be able to do testing for Xbox 1. (If you ever do actually officially produce it, of course) Although it might take a wile and a lot of money to ship the beta version of the game over to Illinois… And, yes, I agree. The Xbox 1 does have a confusing name. Also, making the game mobile being a good idea depends on how complicated the game is. (And yes, I kept the entire quote because I didn't want to break the script)

Last edited by rgl0000 (Feb. 12, 2018 00:43:05)


when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.
Nice. Do you have anything on the 3D gameplay? Also, which platform are you going to use for the game? (Because I kinda want to play it on Scratch)

(I think I broke the quoting script by shortening the quote. oops.)
Got it covered.
Anyway, I will probably design the game at first with modern but not perfect models and graphical effects (I am one person after all, one person who might have trouble running graphically intense projects on UE4). The graphics may be upscaled from that point, once the game leaves my hands. I plan to release it on as many platforms as possible… while still preserving the game's playablility. Steam will be one platform, for sure, and I may actually post a few proof-of-concept-type demos on Scratch. I'd also want to release it on Xbox One (which, by the way, is a really confusing name), PS4, and Nintendo Switch (though I'd need testers, I don't actually own any of these consoles). Some games to promote the series may be released on mobile, but I dunno if mobile is a good idea when it comes to Rivals itself. Now, note this is all in theory, considering I can get into that sort of a position where I could legally create and release a Mega Man game.
As for the 3D gameplay… I might post on it later.
I ‘might’ be able to do testing for Xbox 1. (If you ever do actually officially produce it, of course) Although it might take a wile and a lot of money to ship the beta version of the game over to Illinois… And, yes, I agree. The Xbox 1 does have a confusing name. Also, making the game mobile being a good idea depends on how complicated the game is. (And yes, I kept the entire quote because I didn't want to break the script)
Ha. Ha. Samian.
Wonder how many people called the first Xbox the “Xbox 1” during the 360 era.
Anyway, as for mobile, the game would probably work best with Bluetooth controllers/keyboards and such, especially when it comes to the 3D mode. I've thought through before how a Battle Network game could be done with touch controls, and with 2D platformers of Rivals' sort there really isn't any to do it better than what we've got… And when it comes to the Legends-type gameplay, I could have the player use a virtual joystick to control the character's movement forward, backwards, left and right, while the gyroscope turns them left and right while aiming up and down. This still leaves an extra hand to press buttons… but I don't know if it would work very well. Same with the 2D platforming (a lot of people complain about touch controls as it is). For these reasons I don't think I'd do a mobile port of Rivals itself, and if I did, controller choice would be a must.
(As for testing, that sort of thing would be worked out later… and probably with some usage of the internet.)
Oh, and as for the 3D gameplay, it's basically Legends improved a little (e.g. the Jet Skates are activated with a new button instead of the SAME FREAKIN' BUTTON THEY USE FOR WALKING AND CAMERA SNAPPING, he can now crouch with the L trigger, aim with the gyroscope, slide, so on so forth. There will also be a lot of configuration options, including turning off the gyroscope aiming, of course). I might write more specifics on it later.

Last edited by hahasamian (Feb. 12, 2018 21:10:32)


Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

Great. I've been playing Mega Man X and have beaten all eight Robot Masters, so this'll be fun.
So. Here we go.
GAMEPLAY BLAB #1: Roll/Tron
Roll Caskett and Tron Bonne, for a basic introduction of them as characters, are rival mechanics. They will have 2.5D stages, among other things, in the game. Their eight Robot Master stages may also be turned into a 2D game-inside-a-game.
Nice. Do you have anything on the 3D gameplay? Also, which platform are you going to use for the game? (Because I kinda want to play it on Scratch)

(I think I broke the quoting script by shortening the quote. oops.)
Got it covered.
Anyway, I will probably design the game at first with modern but not perfect models and graphical effects (I am one person after all, one person who might have trouble running graphically intense projects on UE4). The graphics may be upscaled from that point, once the game leaves my hands. I plan to release it on as many platforms as possible… while still preserving the game's playablility. Steam will be one platform, for sure, and I may actually post a few proof-of-concept-type demos on Scratch. I'd also want to release it on Xbox One (which, by the way, is a really confusing name), PS4, and Nintendo Switch (though I'd need testers, I don't actually own any of these consoles). Some games to promote the series may be released on mobile, but I dunno if mobile is a good idea when it comes to Rivals itself. Now, note this is all in theory, considering I can get into that sort of a position where I could legally create and release a Mega Man game.
As for the 3D gameplay… I might post on it later.
I ‘might’ be able to do testing for Xbox 1. (If you ever do actually officially produce it, of course) Although it might take a wile and a lot of money to ship the beta version of the game over to Illinois… And, yes, I agree. The Xbox 1 does have a confusing name. Also, making the game mobile being a good idea depends on how complicated the game is. (And yes, I kept the entire quote because I didn't want to break the script)
Ha. Ha. Samian.
Wonder how many people called the first Xbox the “Xbox 1” during the 360 era.
Anyway, as for mobile, the game would probably work best with Bluetooth controllers/keyboards and such, especially when it comes to the 3D mode. I've thought through before how a Battle Network game could be done with touch controls, and with 2D platformers of Rivals' sort there really isn't any to do it better than what we've got… And when it comes to the Legends-type gameplay, I could have the player use a virtual joystick to control the character's movement forward, backwards, left and right, while the gyroscope turns them left and right while aiming up and down. This still leaves an extra hand to press buttons… but I don't know if it would work very well. Same with the 2D platforming (a lot of people complain about touch controls as it is). For these reasons I don't think I'd do a mobile port of Rivals itself, and if I did, controller choice would be a must.
(As for testing, that sort of thing would be worked out later… and probably with some usage of the internet.)
Oh, and as for the 3D gameplay, it's basically Legends improved a little (e.g. the Jet Skates are activated with a new button instead of the SAME FREAKIN' BUTTON THEY USE FOR WALKING AND CAMERA SNAPPING, he can now crouch with the L trigger, aim with the gyroscope, slide, so on so forth. There will also be a lot of configuration options, including turning off the gyroscope aiming, of course). I might write more specifics on it later.
So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?

when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
The game will start with the basic assumption Mega Man Volnutt did get off of Elysium, instead trying to work as a quick introduction to the idea of how the Legends story works. (Interestingly, MMKB says the player can return from Elysium, in the “Trivia” section of Roll's page. But maybe this is a different point in Legends 2…)
Anyway, I'll give my little intro from the document, word for word.
“I never did write down the intro… Well, let's get to it, I suppose. As the game opens, Mega Man Volnutt is going on a dig on some random island, Roll Caskett being his Spotter as usual. In a strange turn of events, most certainly never before seen in their history together, Roll loses connection with Mega Man. Having already collected the Refractor there, it is now up to him to fight his way to the surface while earthquakes close off and possibly open up paths… But first he must figure out the controls. On the other side of the situation, Roll flies the Flutter closely to this now moving island. It appears to be heading in a direct course for a very familiar island… Kattelox island. After the small island crashes straight into Kattelox, Roll goes into the digging area to make sure Mega Man is okay. In Data's story, at least, Data also tags along, jacking in to several doors and deleting viruses inside them. Once they all surface, they discover several islands are crashing into Kattelox, in an event starting to be called Kattelox Omega. They set out to research this event and they also fight the Bonnes, who try to exploit the event, along the way. The game will hopefully feature an element system and eight Robot Masters which, combined with Bonne fights, may make this a fairly long game.”
(and yes, I just revealed Data as the Battle Network character for the game…)
After the Robot Masters are beaten, the group goes into the Main Gate, which they discover is the entrance to a huge underground world, where they fight the final boss of Rivals 1. This leads into Rivals 2, where the Bonnes and… Mega Man's group, whatever they'll be called, must work together to fight Hex, an AI who is controlling the islands and creating the disturbance known as Kattelox Omega. Hex (along with some other enemies) may be considered a remnant of the Master System, but I should probably read up more on Legends 2 before I make a decision on that.
(Sorry, I like making huge posts.)

Last edited by hahasamian (Feb. 13, 2018 17:51:30)


Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
The game will start with the basic assumption Mega Man Volnutt did get off of Elysium, instead trying to work as a quick introduction to the idea of how the Legends story works. (Interestingly, MMKB says the player can return from Elysium, in the “Trivia” section of Roll's page. But maybe this is a different point in Legends 2…)
Anyway, I'll give my little intro from the document, word for word.
“I never did write down the intro… Well, let's get to it, I suppose. As the game opens, Mega Man Volnutt is going on a dig on some random island, Roll Caskett being his Spotter as usual. In a strange turn of events, most certainly never before seen in their history together, Roll loses connection with Mega Man. Having already collected the Refractor there, it is now up to him to fight his way to the surface while earthquakes close off and possibly open up paths… But first he must figure out the controls. On the other side of the situation, Roll flies the Flutter closely to this now moving island. It appears to be heading in a direct course for a very familiar island… Kattelox island. After the small island crashes straight into Kattelox, Roll goes into the digging area to make sure Mega Man is okay. In Data's story, at least, Data also tags along, jacking in to several doors and deleting viruses inside them. Once they all surface, they discover several islands are crashing into Kattelox, in an event starting to be called Kattelox Omega. They set out to research this event and they also fight the Bonnes, who try to exploit the event, along the way. The game will hopefully feature an element system and eight Robot Masters which, combined with Bonne fights, may make this a fairly long game.”
(and yes, I just revealed Data as the Battle Network character for the game…)
After the Robot Masters are beaten, the group goes into the Main Gate, which they discover is the entrance to a huge underground world, where they fight the final boss of Rivals 1. This leads into Rivals 2, where the Bonnes and… Mega Man's group, whatever they'll be called, must work together to fight Hex, an AI who is controlling the islands and creating the disturbance known as Kattelox Omega. Hex (along with some other enemies) may be considered a remnant of the Master System, but I should probably read up more on Legends 2 before I make a decision on that.
(Sorry, I like making huge posts.)
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.

when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
Blah, blah, blah, story stuff involving a remnant of the Master System.
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.
Nope. Master System.
The idea is it was shut down on Elysium but a backup system is running on Terra that will try to retake Elysium. I don't know that little about Legends 2, after all, I know about the Master System! So Hex is kinda a remnant of the Master System in that way.
(And of course, he backed up Juno too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
(No, not like Eden backup, this is a Terra backup!)

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

Oh by the way, I just found some concept art from Legends 1 showing Roll with two of her tools. Might base some designs for the Blast Wrench off of these. I should probably try to be more realistic than what I thought it looked like too, after all, this is Legends-styled. For example, maybe a short laser emerges from the wrench instead of her simply hitting the Reaverbot as it unrealistically just blows into pieces.


And you should be able to delete those {img} parts so this post doesn't take up so much space.
And so I don't have to scroll through pictures of Roll while trying to have a discussion.

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian
rgl0000
Scratcher
75 posts

Mega Man Rivals!

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
Blah, blah, blah, story stuff involving a remnant of the Master System.
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.
Nope. Master System.
The idea is it was shut down on Elysium but a backup system is running on Terra that will try to retake Elysium. I don't know that little about Legends 2, after all, I know about the Master System! So Hex is kinda a remnant of the Master System in that way.
(And of course, he backed up Juno too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
(No, not like Eden backup, this is a Terra backup!)
Ok.

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
Blah, blah, blah, story stuff involving a remnant of the Master System.
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.
Nope. Master System.
The idea is it was shut down on Elysium but a backup system is running on Terra that will try to retake Elysium. I don't know that little about Legends 2, after all, I know about the Master System! So Hex is kinda a remnant of the Master System in that way.
(And of course, he backed up Juno too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
(No, not like Eden backup, this is a Terra backup!)
Ah, ok, I see.

when I receive [enter conversation v]
say [hello] for (2) secs
if <ignored> then
repeat until <not ignored>
change volume by (1,000,000)%
say [CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!?]
end

hahasamian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Mega Man Rivals!

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
Blah, blah, blah, story stuff involving a remnant of the Master System.
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.
Nope. Master System.
The idea is it was shut down on Elysium but a backup system is running on Terra that will try to retake Elysium. I don't know that little about Legends 2, after all, I know about the Master System! So Hex is kinda a remnant of the Master System in that way.
(And of course, he backed up Juno too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
(No, not like Eden backup, this is a Terra backup!)
Ok.

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

hahasamian wrote:

rgl0000 wrote:

So far, I'm really liking the game. Do you have a basic story for it?
Well, it isn't Legends 3.
Blah, blah, blah, story stuff involving a remnant of the Master System.
Nice story, also, after the master system was shut down an old system that the master system shut down called the elder system was starting to reactivate, so you could make Hex the physical embodiment of the elder system.
Nope. Master System.
The idea is it was shut down on Elysium but a backup system is running on Terra that will try to retake Elysium. I don't know that little about Legends 2, after all, I know about the Master System! So Hex is kinda a remnant of the Master System in that way.
(And of course, he backed up Juno too. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!)
(No, not like Eden backup, this is a Terra backup!)
Ah, ok, I see.
Huh? Double-quote? You Scratchers are funny.

Does anyone even read these? :P
Sorry if I've caused any forum mischief in the past…
My projects are way better than my early forum posts, trust me.
-Hahasamian

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile