Discuss Scratch

LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rethink account blocks/bans/suspensions.

It's a good idea, but it kinda makes the point of the ban useless.
The ban is to make sure you can't do anything on Scratch, so it punishes you from not being able to interact with your projects so you understand that you shouldn't do the action again. For instance, say you get grounded and then your parents decide to still let you play with your favorite toy. Doesn't really teach you the punishment.. and might lead to you thinking the action is okay to do.
Sorry.. no support for this reason.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

The ban is to make sure you can't do anything on Scratch, so it punishes you from not being able to interact with your projects so you understand that you shouldn't do the action again. For instance, say you get grounded and then your parents decide to still let you play with your favorite toy. Doesn't really teach you the punishment.. and might lead to you thinking the action is okay to do.
It seems like you have misunderstood. The user did not suggest to still be able to interact with stuff on Scratch when you are banned. The user said that you are allowed to look at stuff but you are unable to interact with it. For example, you can look at a project that just recently received so much comments. You want to reply to them, but you can't because you are banned. That is what the user is trying to say. So in the real case of the example you demonstrated, the child can look at the toy, but he can't play with it because of the restriction.

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

Charles12310 wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

It seems like you have misunderstood. The user did not suggest to still be able to interact with stuff on Scratch when you are banned. The user said that you are allowed to look at stuff but you are unable to interact with it. For example, you can look at a project that just recently received so much comments. You want to reply to them, but you can't because you are banned. That is what the user is trying to say. So in the real case of the example you demonstrated, the child can look at the toy, but he can't play with it because of the restriction.
Exactly!

INACTIVE
SPA Member and Assosiate - Creator and overlord of ScratchNetwork - 700+ Forum Posts - Web and Desktop Dev - Fluent in VB, PHP and HTML. I'm okay at CSS and Javascript but am still learning. Sig written in PHP using the picture libary. Firebase is fun.

YubNubEwok
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I was literally thinking about suggesting this XD
Support! One time I was banned and I was pretty bored because I wanted to work on my projects, but I couldn't because I was banned.
I like the phase idea by the way.

Hello! I'mYubNubEwok!
YubNubEwok | Star Wars Nerd | Marvel Fan | Hunger Games Fan | #1 Wisconsin cheese Fan | Female | Christian | Webkinz user/collector | 2000+ posts | Philippians 4:13, Colossians 3:23 |
-Stuff to check out-
TheJediMasters
Ⓒⓡⓔⓐⓣⓘⓥⓔ Bᴜᴍᴘs
Right now I challenge you to: go to my profile, follow me, and check out my featured project (it's important!)

;
290Scratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support because I think you should at least be able to BROWSE the website, play projects and stuff when you're banned.

Maybe someone wasn't expecting the ban and they were so close to finishing a project, and they got mad because they didn't have an offline versions so they could continue working in the offline editor.

Edit: Oh yeah, I think you should be blocked from accessing the messages page as well.

Last edited by 290Scratcher (Dec. 30, 2017 08:39:42)

This is my forum signature, here it's okay to… forget it, you've probably seen hundreds of these signatures before.
https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ <— Click this funny and not suspicious link to get Scratch 4 early!

Joined at the age of 8 and somehow I'm still alive and decently semi-active on the forums.

(Reminder to take care of yourself and stay safe, the world is wild after all)

https://ecosia.org it's good trust me
I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support, at least let people see the reasons they got banned so they can learn from their mistakes

under penalty of law this signature is not to be removed except by the consumer
Bla-Games
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support, although I haven't been(fully) banned myself, I see this as an issue.

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

I agree but what about like how I hacked DeleteThisAcount would he be banned?

cuz i guessed the password

Edit: I got my account back but I really hope the hacker just spammed a bit and didn't do anything else bad.

PS: The part before the edit was not me it was the hacker
If someone gets hacked, they could lose access to Scratch completely for someone else swearing on their account. Especially if there is no evidence of the identity of the hacker. They could easily change their IP.

Give me an internet! I only have 3 as of April 8th, 2018.
oh, kumquats attacked. failure endured. I have hired him to protect me. x_x
Generation 380: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bla-Games wrote:

I support, although I haven't been(fully) banned myself, I see this as an issue.

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

I agree but what about like how I hacked DeleteThisAcount would he be banned?

cuz i guessed the password

Edit: I got my account back but I really hope the hacker just spammed a bit and didn't do anything else bad.

PS: The part before the edit was not me it was the hacker
If someone gets hacked, they could lose access to Scratch completely for someone else swearing on their account. Especially if there is no evidence of the identity of the hacker. They could easily change their IP.
Not really…

INACTIVE
SPA Member and Assosiate - Creator and overlord of ScratchNetwork - 700+ Forum Posts - Web and Desktop Dev - Fluent in VB, PHP and HTML. I'm okay at CSS and Javascript but am still learning. Sig written in PHP using the picture libary. Firebase is fun.

myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bump

INACTIVE

goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@cheddargirl's comments intrigue me (see post #9 on the first page), but there are some pretty crazy reasons that people get banned (which sometimes aren't even disclosed to the person by the st). if the person doesn't deserve to know what they did wrong or why it got them banned, then there should at least be some form of compensation. this in my opinion would more than fulfill that.
BonnieCat91
Scratcher
89 posts

Support. Messages should be locked, though, and the banned person should be able to unshare (but not share again until after unbanned) and edit shared projects too.

Oh, and they need to be able to see why they were banned. Then they could learn from their mistakes.

- bonnie - she/her they/them - ace/panro - aspiring author and photographer -

some of my projects:
faded 8D music in scratch
character generator
operating system with one sprite
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BonnieCat91 wrote:

Support. Messages should be locked, though, and the banned person should be able to unshare (but not share again until after unbanned) and edit shared projects too.

Oh, and they need to be able to see why they were banned. Then they could learn from their mistakes.
The current ban page already says what caused them to be banned (I believe it just shows the last alert). Why should the messages page be locked?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
BonnieCat91
Scratcher
89 posts

Sheep_maker wrote:

BonnieCat91 wrote:

The current ban page already says what caused them to be banned (I believe it just shows the last alert). Why should the messages page be locked?

Oh, I've heard that sometimes it doesn't tell people.

- bonnie - she/her they/them - ace/panro - aspiring author and photographer -

some of my projects:
faded 8D music in scratch
character generator
operating system with one sprite
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

BonnieCat91 wrote:

Same!

INACTIVE

PokemonScratch101
Scratcher
100+ posts

+1! I've gotten banned before, and I can't access the projects, and I was very very upset. For example, @GLECK was working on a Christmas animation and got banned, and he could no longer work on it due to being blocked. I support completely!

i haven't edited this in a long time - ps101, 2022
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I like everything about your idea except for phase four. I don't think deleting the account is necessary.

woah, haven't been on here in a while
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

VideoGamerCanInvent wrote:

I like everything about your idea except for phase four. I don't think deleting the account is necessary.
They already do this if you break the Community Guidelines too much.

INACTIVE

World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

myeducate wrote:

VideoGamerCanInvent wrote:

They already do this if you break the Community Guidelines too much.
Ex. @tcodina (Sorry if I'm naming and shaming - I'm just giving proof banned accounts can sometimes be deleted by the ST)

Last edited by World_Languages (Jan. 12, 2018 15:19:44)

hii

if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]

end

when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

Bump!

INACTIVE

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

But can't you just log out?

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella