Discuss Scratch

AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I don't know why the ST said that they won't make any changes to the policy but they are acting so unfair so many people are spamming, disobeying, and hating the ST for this. So since they said they won't make changes to the policy it's going to cause more hate
That's because people can't accept that Scratch isn't an advertisement archive website and that it's a coding website not made to share possibly dangerous browser extensions.

set [variable v] to [true]
if <<I finally learned how to do a signature :: sensing> = <variable :: variables>> then
set [response v] to [YES!!!!!]
end
say (show::looks stack) for (stop [all v]::cap) secs
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I don't know why the ST said that they won't make any changes to the policy but they are acting so unfair so many people are spamming, disobeying, and hating the ST for this. So since they said they won't make changes to the policy it's going to cause more hate
That's because people can't accept that Scratch isn't an advertisement archive website and that it's a coding website not made to share possibly dangerous browser extensions.
Are you saying sharing code you made for apps, extensions, etc is not something worth sharing in a website dedicated to learning the basics of programming?

    
if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]


end


when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
CosmicBunBun
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

“We're going to constantly say we want to make improvements to the website and it's advanced programming, but do nothing about it. You're banned for trying to improve our outdated Flash-based system. By the way, Scratch 3.0 is going to be more oriented towards one side of our userbase.” -ST

Last edited by CosmicBunBun (Feb. 9, 2018 02:12:16)


littlebene
Scratcher
50 posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

Are you saying sharing code you made for apps, extensions, etc is not something worth sharing in a website dedicated to learning the basics of programming?
+1
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I don't know why the ST said that they won't make any changes to the policy but they are acting so unfair so many people are spamming, disobeying, and hating the ST for this. So since they said they won't make changes to the policy it's going to cause more hate
That's because people can't accept that Scratch isn't an advertisement archive website and that it's a coding website not made to share possibly dangerous browser extensions.
Are you saying sharing code you made for apps, extensions, etc is not something worth sharing in a website dedicated to learning the basics of programming?
No. I'm saying that Scratch isn't a place to advertise. You share the extensions through the chrome webstore, but you shouldn't advertise it on a site kids of all ages can use since they could get the extension and get hacked from some harmful PHP code.

set [variable v] to [true]
if <<I finally learned how to do a signature :: sensing> = <variable :: variables>> then
set [response v] to [YES!!!!!]
end
say (show::looks stack) for (stop [all v]::cap) secs
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I don't know why the ST said that they won't make any changes to the policy but they are acting so unfair so many people are spamming, disobeying, and hating the ST for this. So since they said they won't make changes to the policy it's going to cause more hate
That's because people can't accept that Scratch isn't an advertisement archive website and that it's a coding website not made to share possibly dangerous browser extensions.
Are you saying sharing code you made for apps, extensions, etc is not something worth sharing in a website dedicated to learning the basics of programming?
No. I'm saying that Scratch isn't a place to advertise. You share the extensions through the chrome webstore, but you shouldn't advertise it on a site kids of all ages can use since they could get the extension and get hacked from some harmful PHP code.
The fact that they are kids, adults or elders is not important. All of them have groups that understand the risks and groups that don't.

This is a special case. This is not a random kids social media website. This site is about programming. And that's why the policy becomes not reasonable. Scratch is not about programming anymore. It's about a single programming language, plus HTML, CSS and JS partially allowed.
You can't mention an useful application, like Gi***** D*sk*p. Or an incredible cryptocurrency wallet, J***. Or any random program you made, and want to share. You can't.

Imagine Android not allowing the Play Store because some malware sometimes comes in.
Imagine Nestle not selling chocolate with almonds because some people are allergic to them.
Imagine a city not allowing cars because many people die; humans do mistakes.

Imposing tickets for going too fast in the streets is fine; but with no cars, the streets make no sense.

    
if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]


end


when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
Jacobwworkman
Scratcher
51 posts

A better policy about extensions

Support!

Hello there!
my name is:
JACOBWWORKMAN
Hi I'm a tech expert (almost) and a Nintendo lover (most likely) Yoshi lovers
contact me:
@Jacobwworkman
Note: this is not an advertiser if I'm breaking the rules that I'm showing you this contact me on my scratch account
Click here for a surprise!

R.I.P Toys R Us
Jacobwworkman
Scratcher
51 posts

A better policy about extensions

BTW Was I the first one saw this admin message?
or it's just me…

Hello there!
my name is:
JACOBWWORKMAN
Hi I'm a tech expert (almost) and a Nintendo lover (most likely) Yoshi lovers
contact me:
@Jacobwworkman
Note: this is not an advertiser if I'm breaking the rules that I'm showing you this contact me on my scratch account
Click here for a surprise!

R.I.P Toys R Us
DestroyerXL44
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

This is a special case. This is not a random kids social media website. This site is about programming. And that's why the policy becomes not reasonable. Scratch is not about programming anymore. It's about a single programming language, plus HTML, CSS and JS partially allowed.
You can't mention an useful application, like Gi***** D*sk*p. Or an incredible cryptocurrency wallet, J***. Or any random program you made, and want to share. You can't.

Imagine Android not allowing the Play Store because some malware sometimes comes in.
Imagine Nestle not selling chocolate with almonds because some people are allergic to them.
Imagine a city not allowing cars because many people die; humans do mistakes.

Imposing tickets for going too fast in the streets is fine; but with no cars, the streets make no sense.
PREACH! This is the best thing i have read in this whole thread.

This is a signature. Because of course.
DestroyerXL44 on Scratch=-=DestroyerXL44 on Nevgrounds=-=DestroyerXL44 on DeviantArt=-=Subscribe to My Youtube!
Bumping Services provided by BumperBot.Eaten by an evil kumquat.
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

GamesGuyTV wrote:

I don't know why the ST said that they won't make any changes to the policy but they are acting so unfair so many people are spamming, disobeying, and hating the ST for this. So since they said they won't make changes to the policy it's going to cause more hate
That's because people can't accept that Scratch isn't an advertisement archive website and that it's a coding website not made to share possibly dangerous browser extensions.
Are you saying sharing code you made for apps, extensions, etc is not something worth sharing in a website dedicated to learning the basics of programming?
No. I'm saying that Scratch isn't a place to advertise. You share the extensions through the chrome webstore, but you shouldn't advertise it on a site kids of all ages can use since they could get the extension and get hacked from some harmful PHP code.
The fact that they are kids, adults or elders is not important. All of them have groups that understand the risks and groups that don't.

This is a special case. This is not a random kids social media website. This site is about programming. And that's why the policy becomes not reasonable. Scratch is not about programming anymore. It's about a single programming language, plus HTML, CSS and JS partially allowed.
You can't mention an useful application, like Gi***** D*sk*p. Or an incredible cryptocurrency wallet, J***. Or any random program you made, and want to share. You can't.

Imagine Android not allowing the Play Store because some malware sometimes comes in.
Imagine Nestle not selling chocolate with almonds because some people are allergic to them.
Imagine a city not allowing cars because many people die; humans do mistakes.

Imposing tickets for going too fast in the streets is fine; but with no cars, the streets make no sense.
You can share websites and apps, but no extensions since they control your browsing experience and can lead to major hacking. This is a major security issue. At least chocolate has a food label. Also, cars crashes are from human error, not because of car issues. Also, Play Store won't download things if you have an antivirus software. Browser extensions however, are not protected AT ALL.

set [variable v] to [true]
if <<I finally learned how to do a signature :: sensing> = <variable :: variables>> then
set [response v] to [YES!!!!!]
end
say (show::looks stack) for (stop [all v]::cap) secs
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

You can share websites and apps, but no extensions since they control your browsing experience and can lead to major hacking. This is a major security issue. At least chocolate has a food label. Also, cars crashes are from human error, not because of car issues. Also, Play Store won't download things if you have an antivirus software. Browser extensions however, are not protected AT ALL.

You're mistaken:
1- I don't know what you mean by an app here - but if you mean any .exe or .apk, that is way more risky than getting an extension. Windows programs can do whatever they want - and Antiviruses are just automated, there isn't someone checking the code of every program you install.
2- Browser extensions are very protected. Firefox extensions are always manually reviewed. Chrome extensions, in the other hand, are are reviewed by a bot, but then manually, even taking down extensions for stupid things (it happened to my extension, where it went down for cryptomining in all scratchtools. The problem was that when we opened a username verification also hosted in that site, it asked our users to mine, but the intent was not to cryptomine with the extension users users - it was just a general script in all scratchtools, but also in that page. They noticed this days after the update, and considering our extension is small compared to others, it's a very good response time)

In a nutshell, extensions are often manually reviewed - and if they are catched late, the developer loses its Google account completely.
I think we could all agree that there are more websites asking you to install malicious programs, than malicious extensions out there.

I'll ignore the other things - they're just me trying to explain why a site with programming has to deal with malicious programs, not to forbid them, in other words.

    
if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]


end


when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
Haz-_-
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

100% agree with this, somehow…


 continue this hashtag if you live in australia [img]http://u.cubeupload.com/rabbitcarrots/FEDB1435D41540BFB9FB.jpeg[/img] is the image code xD oh and btw this siggy is from @Hellounicorns2    :cool:
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

Haz-_- wrote:

100% agree with this, somehow…
Nice, but this is already rejected I guess… I sent them an email about this and instead of simply accepting the cons of this, and saying thanks for the feedback, they started talking about how I spammed them a year ago… They never accepted the dark side of the policy… oh, well…

    
if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]


end


when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
AmazingMech2418
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

You can share websites and apps, but no extensions since they control your browsing experience and can lead to major hacking. This is a major security issue. At least chocolate has a food label. Also, cars crashes are from human error, not because of car issues. Also, Play Store won't download things if you have an antivirus software. Browser extensions however, are not protected AT ALL.

You're mistaken:
1- I don't know what you mean by an app here - but if you mean any .exe or .apk, that is way more risky than getting an extension. Windows programs can do whatever they want - and Antiviruses are just automated, there isn't someone checking the code of every program you install.
2- Browser extensions are very protected. Firefox extensions are always manually reviewed. Chrome extensions, in the other hand, are are reviewed by a bot, but then manually, even taking down extensions for stupid things (it happened to my extension, where it went down for cryptomining in all scratchtools. The problem was that when we opened a username verification also hosted in that site, it asked our users to mine, but the intent was not to cryptomine with the extension users users - it was just a general script in all scratchtools, but also in that page. They noticed this days after the update, and considering our extension is small compared to others, it's a very good response time)

In a nutshell, extensions are often manually reviewed - and if they are catched late, the developer loses its Google account completely.
I think we could all agree that there are more websites asking you to install malicious programs, than malicious extensions out there.

I'll ignore the other things - they're just me trying to explain why a site with programming has to deal with malicious programs, not to forbid them, in other words.
Antiviruses can detect vulnerabilities though and can protect your device. Also, someone could probably find a way to get around posting dangerous browser extensions.

set [variable v] to [true]
if <<I finally learned how to do a signature :: sensing> = <variable :: variables>> then
set [response v] to [YES!!!!!]
end
say (show::looks stack) for (stop [all v]::cap) secs
World_Languages
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

World_Languages wrote:

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

You can share websites and apps, but no extensions since they control your browsing experience and can lead to major hacking. This is a major security issue. At least chocolate has a food label. Also, cars crashes are from human error, not because of car issues. Also, Play Store won't download things if you have an antivirus software. Browser extensions however, are not protected AT ALL.

You're mistaken:
1- I don't know what you mean by an app here - but if you mean any .exe or .apk, that is way more risky than getting an extension. Windows programs can do whatever they want - and Antiviruses are just automated, there isn't someone checking the code of every program you install.
2- Browser extensions are very protected. Firefox extensions are always manually reviewed. Chrome extensions, in the other hand, are are reviewed by a bot, but then manually, even taking down extensions for stupid things (it happened to my extension, where it went down for cryptomining in all scratchtools. The problem was that when we opened a username verification also hosted in that site, it asked our users to mine, but the intent was not to cryptomine with the extension users users - it was just a general script in all scratchtools, but also in that page. They noticed this days after the update, and considering our extension is small compared to others, it's a very good response time)

In a nutshell, extensions are often manually reviewed - and if they are catched late, the developer loses its Google account completely.
I think we could all agree that there are more websites asking you to install malicious programs, than malicious extensions out there.

I'll ignore the other things - they're just me trying to explain why a site with programming has to deal with malicious programs, not to forbid them, in other words.
Antiviruses can detect vulnerabilities though and can protect your device. Also, someone could probably find a way to get around posting dangerous browser extensions.
You're contradicting yourself, do you notice? In general terms, you say;
“Antiviruses protect your device. Also, someone could probably find a way to get around antivirus protection.”
Malicious people always get around, and good people always find a way to stop the malicious people. Same as bacteria vs humans.

Back to topic - I'm not saying installing extensions is not risky. It definitely is. But this is a programming website, like I said earlier.

You can't share most programming in a programming website. Get it?

Extensions have the necessary amount of protection they deserve. They all eventually get manually reviewed by experts, and always get scanned by a machine learning algorithm that is getting smarter over time.

The risk of an extension made by Scratchers, created for Scratchers, to be malicious and not being detected and penalized is miniscule. However, disallowing most programming in a programming website is not a miniscule problem.

    
if <(World_Languages) = [Awesome ]> then

go to [His profile v]
end
if <not <(World_Languages) = [Awesome]>> then
set [World_Languages v] to [Awesome ]


end


when I start as a clone
BE AWESOME
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A better policy about extensions

Support! This is a well though-out idea. Good job!


Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop
sig by @myed - get yours here.

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.
MasterOfTheTiger: Worker at GlitterStores, Request Shop, +
MasterOfTheTiger: Devoted to the success of Scratch Shops.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!




MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

A better policy about extensions

World_Languages wrote:

Haz-_- wrote:

100% agree with this, somehow…
Nice, but this is already rejected I guess… I sent them an email about this and instead of simply accepting the cons of this, and saying thanks for the feedback, they started talking about how I spammed them a year ago… They never accepted the dark side of the policy… oh, well…
Really? You spammed them?


Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop
sig by @myed - get yours here.

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.
MasterOfTheTiger: Worker at GlitterStores, Request Shop, +
MasterOfTheTiger: Devoted to the success of Scratch Shops.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!




-stache-
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

AmazingMech2418 wrote:

You share the extensions through the chrome webstore, but you shouldn't advertise it on a site kids of all ages can use since they could get the extension and get hacked from some harmful PHP code.
*cringe* - PHP is server-side…

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Really? You spammed them?
I think you should ask that on their profile

I'm not lobbying for removal of this tool, but MATU's thumbnail tool is pretty much native, and asks for the password. Having the user password is more dangerous because it only expires when the user changes their password.


3x3 pb: 13.240
3x3 avg: ~21-26
My Amazon Affiliate link
paws48
Scratcher
100+ posts

A better policy about extensions

Yes! Support support support…
GamesGuyTV
Scratcher
500+ posts

A better policy about extensions

Yeah The longer this policy works the more people will hate the ST so much that they will start trolling/bullying the ST and the community will then abandon Scratch and move on to other programming languages like Snap!

Last edited by GamesGuyTV (March 4, 2018 16:00:32)


This is Bob, he is here to save my signature

Favorite music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTgJxfCvRCY or here

wii if a landfill Your text to link here…

R.I.P Miiverse

Compare before and after here

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile