Discuss Scratch

doqq
Scratcher
100+ posts

Inactive Accounts

On Roblox, once a year, a sweep is done; accounts that haven't been active for a year will be deleted.

Why not do this on Scratch? It would free up space in the system; people just use the comments of inactive accounts for spamming. example: @they @will @write @sentences @like @this. I don't see the point of having these accounts on Scratch, as the owners are long gone. Also it would save Scratchers such as myself the hassle of having to go through and delete their multiple old accounts (I have 12 of them rip)

but on Scratch it could be 3 years instead of 1

duplicate rejected etc? please let me know

Last edited by doqq (Sept. 28, 2017 20:28:44)

I'm no longer active on this account
@Nero-Guineadoq is where you can find me and my recent projects
aking_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

No support. People might take a break then come back. Imagine someone like griffpatch leaving to take a break for a year then coming back to find all of his work had been deleted.

Plus, we would lose gems like @andresmh and his projects; which were some of the first on Scratch.

If this were to happen, I would stretch the period to about 3-5 years.

Throws up the deuces and walks out like a G
doqq
Scratcher
100+ posts

Inactive Accounts

aking_ wrote:

No support. People might take a break then come back. Imagine someone like griffpatch leaving to take a break for a year then coming back to find all of his work had been deleted.

Plus, we would lose gems like @andresmh and his projects; which were some of the first on Scratch.

If this were to happen, I would stretch the period to about 3-5 years.

Yeah, i'll edit the original post and make it 3 years

muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

No support. What if someone was banned for over a year? Would they lose their account because of this? What if someone quits Scratch for a few years then comes back, would they lose all their work because of this? Deleting accounts does not free up the user name or delete their projects. If this was in effect one of my favorite Scratchers wouldn't be here, or they would be on by a different name.

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

Also, that would get rid of jvvg and his sticky.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
doqq
Scratcher
100+ posts

Inactive Accounts

muellly wrote:

No support. What if someone was banned for over a year? Would they lose their account because of this? What if someone quits Scratch for a few years then comes back, would they lose all their work because of this? Deleting accounts does not free up the user name or delete their projects. If this was in effect one of my favorite Scratchers wouldn't be here, or they would be on by a different name.

I changed it to three years.
I mean the account would be deleted but not the projects. like so the comments would be closed cuz people just use comments on inactive accounts for spamming

muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

doqq wrote:

muellly wrote:

I changed it to three years.
I mean the account would be deleted but not the projects. like so the comments would be closed cuz people just use comments on inactive accounts for spamming
Then what would be the point if the projects were kept, but the account was deleted? Is this just making it so you can't log on anymore after 3 years of inactivity. Your only reason for this appears to be to prevent spam in the comments, so maybe instead the comments section of a user's profile page should automatically close after a year of the user's inactivity, the user can always turn it back on if they come back to Scratch.

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

Hm. Here's a thought - locking comments would be good, but their tag should also change to Inactive Scratcher or Inactive New Scratcher, to revert back after they log in again.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

No Support:
1. What if they want to return.
2. If Griffpatch goes inactive, and then later his account is removed, then all his projects will because of how accounts and their data work and nobody will ever see his hard work.
3. People can mistaken users who had the same username as the previous user AS THE PREVIOUS USER.

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
scrooge100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

no support also dupe but im too lazy to find em

if this was true my account would have been deleted
also its not fair if someone quit and wanted to come back then everything would be gone
forever

I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

No support,
Lengthening the amount of time does nothing. because accounts older then 3 years will be gone.

under penalty of law this signature is not to be removed except by the consumer
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

No support, what if someone decided to come back?

doqq wrote:

On Roblox, once a year, a sweep is done; accounts that haven't been active for a year will be deleted.
Then how come my account wasn't deleted? I left Roblox in 2015 and recently returned. My account was still there.

doqq
Scratcher
100+ posts

Inactive Accounts

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support, what if someone decided to come back?

doqq wrote:

Then how come my account wasn't deleted? I left Roblox in 2015 and recently returned. My account was still there.

I don't know; it's what I read on the roblox help forum.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Inactive Accounts

marigoldkit wrote:

i cant use links cause im “new” but heres some duplicates

scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/160908/
scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/276500/
Thanks for the links. I noticed at the bottom of one of these topics that we have rejected this in the past:

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/1765412/

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;