Discuss Scratch

SolarWind12
Scratcher
500+ posts

is the phrase 'what the hell' okay?

I can't believe you guys are questioning this. Do you think parents will want their 7-year-old exposed to language like that?

Hi, and Welcome to my signature! It doesn't change that often, but, hey, might be intresting to read; you never know (or at least not until you read it.) If you've got this far, it's pretty obvious that you're reading this to see just how intresting it is. Yes, you're reading this to see if there's a bonus bit at the end. You have to satisfy your natural curiosity and see how it turns out. Well, I dare you to stop…
You couldn't do it, could you? Sorry, you lost! Bye now!
Fact
An Evil Kumquat was eaten by my forum signature
KawaiiCatGirl-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

SolarWind12 wrote:

I can't believe you guys are questioning this. Do you think parents will want their 7-year-old exposed to language like that?
some parents are okay with it…

what if they are Christians? then a 7 year old may be exposed to it

I have moved to m1mikyu, please comment there if you need assistance!
ComicWorldBros
Scratcher
100+ posts

Some people treat that word as a swear word so I will not use it. You may use ‘What the heck’

Please help us right now and I will credit and follow you!
einangrun
Scratcher
100+ posts

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

SolarWind12 wrote:

some parents are okay with it…

what if they are Christians? then a 7 year old may be exposed to it

yes, but context matters. saying ‘hell is where sinners go’ is acceptable since it's in a religious context. saying ‘what the hell’ or telling someone to burn there is not.

Last edited by einangrun (Sept. 17, 2017 00:12:50)

えぐ
1MTariq
Scratcher
51 posts

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

just wondering, since a song I am using in a project has that phrase in it.

I know hell is allowed due to religious purposes, but in this context would it count as a swear? If so, I can easily delete the word, just wondering
I am allowed to say the h word but just don't put it in any of the projects.
KawaiiCatGirl-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ComicWorldBros wrote:

Some people treat that word as a swear word so I will not use it. You may use ‘What the heck’
but i can't edit that part of the song

I have moved to m1mikyu, please comment there if you need assistance!
I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

yes you can, just make it say “What The _____ (rest of lyrics)”

under penalty of law this signature is not to be removed except by the consumer
YubNubEwok
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ComicWorldBros wrote:

Yeah, I treat it as a swear word.

Hello! I'mYubNubEwok!
YubNubEwok | Star Wars Nerd | Marvel Fan | Hunger Games Fan | #1 Wisconsin cheese Fan | Female | Christian | Webkinz user/collector | 2000+ posts | Philippians 4:13, Colossians 3:23 |
-Stuff to check out-
TheJediMasters
Ⓒⓡⓔⓐⓣⓘⓥⓔ Bᴜᴍᴘs
Right now I challenge you to: go to my profile, follow me, and check out my featured project (it's important!)

;
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

Yes, you can replace the word with an equally timed portion of silence, or jumble up the word, or just make the word really really quiet.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

but that wouldn't sound right, and would ruin the timing

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

It doesn't matter if “it doesn't sound right”, censorship is censorship. Scratch is for KIDS. Use a different song or censor the h-e-double popsicle stick word

under penalty of law this signature is not to be removed except by the consumer
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

It doesn't matter if “it doesn't sound right”, censorship is censorship. Scratch is for KIDS. Use a different song or censor the h-e-double popsicle stick word
but i want to use this song

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

frances2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

that is something that uses something religious in a wrong way. people often make swears out of religious things, and i doubt that will be acceptable. just because you hear your parents swear doesn't mean you should swear.

★★★★★★★Welcome to Frances2005★★★★★★★★
No F4FSeason 2Proud owner of 100+ Beanie Boos700+ followers450+ Forum PostsOfficial Turtie HelperGame DeveloperSince 4/16/17
hello I don't go on here much anymore or at least for now..
credit to @SuperNautilus for stars,@SolarWind12 for colored text guide, and coolsymbol for symbols
BananaOcelot
Scratcher
6 posts

not sure. you could probably say “what the hail” instead?
frances2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

cut out the bad word. or if you want you can look for map parts on projects that contain all parts of the song. that contain them as long as you give credit, and if it is the first or second verse that contains it, repeat the first verse again. for example, lets take sit still look pretty as an example. i think there was a line that contained a swear in the second verse. i believe i heard another version ( not too sure if it was kidz bop maybe it was maybe it wasn't) instead of saying the verse with the swear, repeat the first verse, because that was what kids bop did. if it is a major part of the song, try to remove the swear by using scratch's sound recording editing tools.

★★★★★★★Welcome to Frances2005★★★★★★★★
No F4FSeason 2Proud owner of 100+ Beanie Boos700+ followers450+ Forum PostsOfficial Turtie HelperGame DeveloperSince 4/16/17
hello I don't go on here much anymore or at least for now..
credit to @SuperNautilus for stars,@SolarWind12 for colored text guide, and coolsymbol for symbols
DisasterPug
Scratcher
100+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

Make the part completely silent and it won't ruin the timing

M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DisasterPug wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

I-Iz-A-Litten wrote:

KawaiiCatGirl- wrote:

ComicWorldBros wrote:

Make the part completely silent and it won't ruin the timing
You don't get it, it would sound weird. Saying ‘what the’ then ‘going on’ wouldn't make sense

einangrun
Scratcher
100+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

You don't get it, it would sound weird. Saying ‘what the’ then ‘going on’ wouldn't make sense

three options:
a. you don't make it at all
b. you make it and it sounds weird
c. you make it and it sounds normal but you get an alert and the project is taken down because it's inappropriate

just because you really want to use it doesn't mean you can, and just because you want it to be appropriate doesn't mean it is. like litten said, this is a kids site. six year olds should not be hearing the word hell in any context except at church.

えぐ
myed
Scratcher
70 posts

einangrun wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

three options:
c. you make it and it sounds normal but you get an alert and the project is taken down because it's inappropriate

just because you really want to use it doesn't mean you can, and just because you want it to be appropriate doesn't mean it is. like litten said, this is a kids site. six year olds should not be hearing the word hell in any context except at church.
Okay, this is a full blown debate now. If it's in a song it's kind of 50/50. Paddle2See is probably the best one to ask, all though you could just make it “What the” then select “hell” in the song using the sound editor, then silence it, so it doesn't ruin the flow. What song is it anyway?

my main form account is @myeducate
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

myed wrote:

einangrun wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

three options:

Okay, this is a full blown debate now. If it's in a song it's kind of 50/50. Paddle2See is probably the best one to ask, all though you could just make it “What the” then select “hell” in the song using the sound editor, then silence it, so it doesn't ruin the flow. What song is it anyway?
Echo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKGUgOfD8U