Discuss Scratch

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(READ BEFORE SAYING IT'S REJECTED!!) Remove 60 Second Rule

LionHeart70 wrote:

I don't think I'll give much support. 60 seconds isn't that long and users could always pretend to be a good forum helper so that they can have this rule removed and then they'll start spamming the forums.

VideoGamerCanInvent wrote:

What if you could earn the privilege to get the 60 Second Rule taken away from you? Maybe if the ST saw you helping out, not spamming and being nice we could get it taken away from us (of course, it's only a privilege, as if you started spamming that privilege would be taken away).

woah, haven't been on here in a while
Blackout32
Scratcher
500+ posts

?

Last edited by Blackout32 (April 14, 2018 20:15:02)

-raspberry_
Scratcher
500+ posts

No Support. Not needed. 60 seconds isn't that long.
FancyFoxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

I don't think I'll give much support. 60 seconds isn't that long and users could always pretend to be a good forum helper so that they can have this rule removed and then they'll start spamming the forums.

What if you could earn the privilege to get the 60 Second Rule taken away from you? Maybe if the ST saw you helping out, not spamming and being nice we could get it taken away from us (of course, it's only a privilege, as if you started spamming that privilege would be taken away).
But what if you spam a whole lot before the Scratch Team finally demotes you?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. THIS MEANS IT IS AN AUTOMATIC MESSAGE THAT APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM OF ALL MY POSTS.
Hi! I'm FancyFoxy! I create animations and games that were never, EVER meant to be taken seriously.
FancyFoxy Heroes and #Thanksgiving are some of my latest projects, check them out!
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FancyFoxy wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

That's a good point..

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FancyFoxy wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

Then you wouldn't be promoted. You then, like , have to wait another 2 or more months. There would be a system which checks if you are spamming a lot. The detector would be something like this:

If this function were to be performed with Scratch blocks, it would look like this:

add (post time) to [post times v]
set [full time v] to ((length of [post times v]) * (60))
set [count v] to (0)
set [final v] to (0)
repeat (length of [post times v])
change [count v] by (1)
change [final v] by (item (count) of [post times v])
end
if <(final) < (full time)> then
... // Function to remove rights from user.
end

A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hold on. Maybe you could apply for this rule being removed? However, you'd have to meet these requirements:
-You haven't gotten an alert for anything forum-related in more than a year
-You're very helpful on the forums
-You must have the Scratcher status and you must be on for at least a year

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
FancyFoxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

Charles12310 wrote:

FancyFoxy wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

Then you wouldn't be promoted. You then, like , have to wait another 2 or more months. There would be a system which checks if you are spamming a lot. The detector would be something like this:

If this function were to be performed with Scratch blocks, it would look like this:

set [count v] to (0)
set [final v] to (0)
change [count v] by (1)
end
end
But the ST won't respond immediately to the spam.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. THIS MEANS IT IS AN AUTOMATIC MESSAGE THAT APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM OF ALL MY POSTS.
Hi! I'm FancyFoxy! I create animations and games that were never, EVER meant to be taken seriously.
FancyFoxy Heroes and #Thanksgiving are some of my latest projects, check them out!
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FancyFoxy wrote:

Charles12310 wrote:

FancyFoxy wrote:

LionHeart70 wrote:

set [count v] to (0)
set [final v] to (0)
change [count v] by (1)
end
end
But the ST won't respond immediately to the spam.
If they spam like that, though, it's against the Community Guidelines; if you spam a lot, you're getting banned, not just losing your privileges.

walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

Hold on. Maybe you could apply for this rule being removed? However, you'd have to meet these requirements:
-You haven't gotten an alert for anything forum-related in more than a year
-You're very helpful on the forums
-You must have the Scratcher status and you must be on for at least a year
Yeah, but then Scratch Team has to review applications. It's more work. That uses time that could be spent making Scratch better.
bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As @LionHeart70 said, 60 seconds is not that long. If you spend quality time on your post, instead of just saying “Support!” or “Cool!” every time you post, you will probably be able to wait 60 seconds, as you might find your next topic to post on within 20 seconds, and your next post may take the other 40 seconds (I'm just estimating here). Even if you get the 60 second rule every once in a while, it isn't that long to wait. Just check out something else while waiting. If you've gotten a message you can see what that is, if you edit the Scratch Wiki, you can spam “random page” until you find an error, if you curate a studio you can check to see if anyone has commented, there are so many possibilities

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

woah, haven't been on here in a while
-Osiris-
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm using your banner, VCGI! :P

While initially this seems like a good idea, I do not support it because
  • It would add more work for the Scratch Team
  • The 60-second rule doesn't really get in your way if you take time to think about your post. The only time the 60-second rule annoys me is when I'm bumping my posts.

kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

I don't feel like this is a viable suggestion, for one simple reason. There is one more aspect of the 60s rule that hasn't been considered yet: it is also there to relieve strain on servers. If users could post as fast as they wanted, there would be a tremendous number of posts coming in, possibly even concurrently.
Besides this, what's wrong with keeping it? Sure, it can be annoying, having to wait a minute between posts, but if your posts have enough substance they should take more than a minute to write. If they don't have enough substance, then just wait the minute! It's just a minute, and you can do other productive things while you're waiting.

No support.

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

FancyFoxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

kenny2scratch wrote:

I don't feel like this is a viable suggestion, for one simple reason. There is one more aspect of the 60s rule that hasn't been considered yet: it is also there to relieve strain on servers. If users could post as fast as they wanted, there would be a tremendous number of posts coming in, possibly even concurrently.
Besides this, what's wrong with keeping it? Sure, it can be annoying, having to wait a minute between posts, but if your posts have enough substance they should take more than a minute to write. If they don't have enough substance, then just wait the minute! It's just a minute, and you can do other productive things while you're waiting.

No support.
I find it weird that I posted three times here and never really made my stance.
This honestly doesn't feel like something we'd need. For one, the ST would have a really tough time figuring out who is actually reliable.
Plus, I'm 99% sure this falls under “Ranks Above Scratcher”.

-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This seems like a pretty decent idea, support. I don't think the 60-second rule in those cases should be completely removed, but it should be lowered to something like 45 seconds or 30 seconds. I also think that in addition to having to be nice, helpful, and not spam, users applying for the removal should also have above a certain number of posts and have been on for more than a certain period of time.

<Insert uncreative signature here>

██       ██  ██            ██  ██       ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
███ ███ ██ ████ ██ ███ ███
█████████ █████ █████ █████████

“Though the seasons come and go, and sunshine turns to snow, we will always have tomorrow up ahead.”
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FancyFoxy wrote:

kenny2scratch wrote:

No support.
I find it weird that I posted three times here and never really made my stance.
This honestly doesn't feel like something we'd need. For one, the ST would have a really tough time figuring out who is actually reliable.
Plus, I'm 99% sure this falls under “Ranks Above Scratcher”.
I do that a lot on topics

I guess this would be nice to have, but if the ST would have to approve I don't think many Scratchers would get to have this

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!

LionHeart70 wrote:

No support ^^^
I would support though if it was took down to 30 seconds.
This would also make a lot of work for the ST.

Hello! I'mYubNubEwok!
YubNubEwok | Star Wars Nerd | Marvel Fan | Hunger Games Fan | #1 Wisconsin cheese Fan | Female | Christian | Webkinz user/collector | 2000+ posts | Philippians 4:13, Colossians 3:23 |
-Stuff to check out-
TheJediMasters
Ⓒⓡⓔⓐⓣⓘⓥⓔ Bᴜᴍᴘs
Right now I challenge you to: go to my profile, follow me, and check out my featured project (it's important!)

;
miuz
Scratcher
2 posts

hey, i have an idea! what if, there's another thing after “new scratcher” and “scratcher” that brings the rule down to 30 seconds, and you would have to have no reports for at least a year, etc.?
-Osiris-
Scratcher
100+ posts

miuz wrote:

hey, i have an idea! what if, there's another thing after “new scratcher” and “scratcher” that brings the rule down to 30 seconds, and you would have to have no reports for at least a year, etc.?
That would be a ‘rank above Scratcher’, which is a rejected suggestion.