Discuss Scratch

ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Building Your Project Idea ↪ One Block at a Time

I propose we add this (or something like it) to the end of the intro bit:

Note:
Project creation doesn't always need to be like this, you could just create a project by drawing some quick sprites (or even just using some created by other people) and adding a few blocks. This guide is mostly for more in-depth project creation, but you can certainly use it for whatever you'd like. Each step listed here doesn't have to be followed exactly, you can create projects however you want.

If you see this text, reply saying “I hate Skype emojis” and you will receive a prize from my magical prize box
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

It's a very nice guide - well formatted and illustrated with nice clear language.

I do wonder about the tone though. It makes it sound like making a Scratch Project is a very formal and rigorous process. While it can be that way, not all Scratchers like to create that way - or need to. Scratch was designed to be a “hands on” tool where you can mess around and change things on the fly - it supports a trial-and-error creation style as well.
Ok, we can edit it a bit.

Paddle2See wrote:

Another aspect of Scratch that doesn't seem to be represented here is the remix philosophy. One of the easiest ways to make something interesting is to find something that is close and build on that idea by remixing.
Good point, do you think we should create a guide about remixing?

I have made some edits to the piece. Review them and see if they address Paddle's concerns . They are located in the introduction and the research clause.
ZLGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

I have made some edits to the piece. Review them and see if they address Paddle's concerns . They are located in the introduction and the research clause.
I like those, they're much better than my changes above.

If you see this text, reply saying “I hate Skype emojis” and you will receive a prize from my magical prize box
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

It's a very nice guide - well formatted and illustrated with nice clear language.

I do wonder about the tone though. It makes it sound like making a Scratch Project is a very formal and rigorous process. While it can be that way, not all Scratchers like to create that way - or need to. Scratch was designed to be a “hands on” tool where you can mess around and change things on the fly - it supports a trial-and-error creation style as well.
Ok, we can edit it a bit.

Paddle2See wrote:

Another aspect of Scratch that doesn't seem to be represented here is the remix philosophy. One of the easiest ways to make something interesting is to find something that is close and build on that idea by remixing.
Good point, do you think we should create a guide about remixing?

ok.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZLGames wrote:

Note:
Project creation doesn't always need to be like this, you could just create a project by drawing some quick sprites (or even just using some created by other people) and adding a few blocks. This guide is mostly for more in-depth project creation, but you can certainly use it for whatever you'd like. Each step listed here doesn't have to be followed exactly, you can create projects however you want.

ZLGames wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I kind of have to concur xD
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

Note:

ZLGames wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Same.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

Note:

ZLGames wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Same.

Is it fine? Do you think it requires further revisions?
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

Note:

ZLGames wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Same.

Hmm… I don't think so but maybe we could make a topic about remixing and link it!

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

ZLGames wrote:

Note:

ZLGames wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Same.

Hmm… I don't think so but maybe we could make a topic about remixing and link it!

Sure we can!

Could you resubmit this one to Paddle (on his profile) and see what he think's of it now?
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Looks good to me

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Paddle2See wrote:

Looks good to me
Great!

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS

Daring_Sailor
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Looks good to me
Great!
Yay!

MegaSwampert33
Scratcher
4 posts

Is this an example of a good thumbnail: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/154923030/#editor ? (You get this background from beating the game. The program will stop when you do, but if I coded this right you should be able to see it anyways).
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MegaSwampert33 wrote:

Is this an example of a good thumbnail: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/154923030/#editor ? (You get this background from beating the game. The program will stop when you do, but if I coded this right you should be able to see it anyways).
I'll be honest, it needs a bit more work.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS

DaCatRealMaster
Scratcher
66 posts

Now please just make the brain happy, its not happy.

(((((( DaCatRealMaster::#bb00ff)::#bb00ff)::#bb00ff)::#bb00ff)::#bb00ff)::#bb00ff
mratzelster
Scratcher
2 posts

I teach 8th grade physical science and I'm having students use Scratch to communicate what they learned about the motion of an object and how it looks on a graph. Sounds sort of boring. I agree so that is why I decided to use Scratch…this is their first try and I made a "template" from which they can copy Sprites that do the basics….and then challenge them to improve.

If you would be willing to give me feedback on how I can make this “better” for them to learn from, I'd really appreciate it.

And I hope this is the right spot to post this request for help. Thanks in advance.

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mratzelster wrote:

I teach 8th grade physical science and I'm having students use Scratch to communicate what they learned about the motion of an object and how it looks on a graph. Sounds sort of boring. I agree so that is why I decided to use Scratch…this is their first try and I made a "template" from which they can copy Sprites that do the basics….and then challenge them to improve.

If you would be willing to give me feedback on how I can make this “better” for them to learn from, I'd really appreciate it.

And I hope this is the right spot to post this request for help. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this would fit a certain style of request, but I will answer nonetheless:

Learning is quite individualized, but here are a few tips for how you could possibly visualize the concepts for your students. As I am unaware of your central theme, I cannot really provide specific advice but you can use your own discretion.

1.) SL Sprite- Currently the code there will sort of visualize linear motion, but I personally feel that is is not the most effective way to go about this. I would recommend splitting this up into two separate scripts. The first would your traditional sprite clicked event.

when this sprite clicked
repeat (10)
say [I move in a strait line] for (4) secs
end

The second would visualize the linear motion as it is being discussed:

when this sprite clicked
repeat (10)
glide (2) secs to x: (180) y: (0)
glide (2) secs to x: (-180) y: (0)
end

2.) Baseball Sprite- I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to simulate here? Parabolic Motion? I would recommend checking out this project about parabolic motion with cannonballs which includes “Instant Replays”- a handy feature for those who wish to review there work.

3.) Grid Drawer- I noticed that you left this comment on that script

“While you can't write this code YET, you can copy it over to your own program.”

If you were looking for Scratch Lessons for your students, then I would like to recommend those on my website. You may also be interested in this synthesis challenge for your students. The platformer tutorial is uses more advanced physics than most of the other tutorials.

Students can use the lessons as a guide and get the project setups by using “See Inside” or “Remixing” them with their own accounts. Hopefully you have found these recommendations helpful. If you have any questions then feel free to write a response.
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nice advice! There are some Grammatical errors though.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

In what? The advice?

Last edited by makethebrainhappy (Feb. 19, 2018 01:19:46)

jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

In what? The advice?
The advice.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS