Apple is bad.

Random Advice! Click here.
clearywalsh
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch on Mobile Devices?

curiouscrab wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

i think on mobile devices, you need adobe flash/java.
Apple never allowed java/flash because they were part of making HTML5.
If you want more info, I can explain further.
If you want an app - Apple removed it. Scratch put up a mobile scratch application, but it got removed for some reason.
Apple doesn't like people being able to program. Possibly might be a bug in all Apple products that coding apps may hack into the actual device and cause damage.
Wait, what if you could download it, but it would void your warranty. Granted, that would stink, but then they don't have to deal with people coming to the genius bar saying, “My ipad is broken!” And then they have to run through the code. Because thats what it sounds like they're worried about.

Want a new minecraft skin? Look here!
comp500
Scratcher
100+ posts

the ST are developing a HTML5 Scratch and lightnin* said to expect some prototypes to be heard of soon after 2.0 is released… but that will probably change…

Ubuntu 13.04: Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800) Windows 7: Same Both: Dell Inspiron 545: Dual-Core w/3GB RAM… let's stop boasting now…
For more info ask me on my profile page…
AttackScratch.php
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

clearywalsh wrote:

curiouscrab wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

i think on mobile devices, you need adobe flash/java.
Apple never allowed java/flash because they were part of making HTML5.
If you want more info, I can explain further.
If you want an app - Apple removed it. Scratch put up a mobile scratch application, but it got removed for some reason.
Apple doesn't like people being able to program. Possibly might be a bug in all Apple products that coding apps may hack into the actual device and cause damage.
Wait, what if you could download it, but it would void your warranty. Granted, that would stink, but then they don't have to deal with people coming to the genius bar saying, “My ipad is broken!” And then they have to run through the code. Because thats what it sounds like they're worried about.
well i bought no apples stocks so I cant vote in anything so… lol

Fellow Wikian.
Lucario621
Scratcher
100+ posts

comp500 wrote:

the ST are developing a HTML5 Scratch and lightnin* said to expect some prototypes to be heard of soon after 2.0 is released… but that will probably change…
Yeah, that's all I currently know about having a mobile-accessible version of Scratch. I know they've done some testing in the past, but there probably won't be anything official until after Scratch 2.0 is released.

Edit: Although I know someone else made a Scratch 2.0 player with javascript that you can find here… but I don't know if it's updated anymore.

Last edited by Lucario621 (April 10, 2013 22:42:10)

kiman100
Scratcher
33 posts

curiouscrab wrote:

kiman100 wrote:

letmethink wrote:

curiouscrab wrote:

letmethink wrote:

curiouscrab wrote:

letmethink wrote:

curiouscrab wrote:

letmethink wrote:

curiouscrab wrote:

bullelk12 wrote:

botcrusher wrote:

1. photon for ios is better than puffin
2. untill someone picks up the gloves with apple there can not be an app. apple does not allow apps that share code

that's annoying
Agreed.
Time to get us to make apple ‘for this project only’ allow us to share code!
Maybe sneak it into a game…Click the Apple 3 times. You win! Now here is code for the Scratch App.
But you can get into serious trouble for doing that. You could get your developers liscence stripped.

Also, when you make a game for the ios app store you have to get it checked for content, like no filming the screen etc.

Somebody would have thought of that if it had been that simple. It isn't worth risking the consequences.
Darn.
Sorry for crushing your hopes
I shall crush yours now and not let you think!
… (I'm still thinking) …
I think apple should think about the kids that could benefit from this. They could recruit programmers from the website. It would help the kids and them.
I don't think Apple really cares.
Well it should. They could get a bunch of out of the box programmers from scratch
BobStanley
Scratcher
100+ posts

You can use scratch with the android flash APK

dracae made this picture V | Like a Glover | Tau is awesome | dracae also made that GIF >, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
botcrusher
Scratcher
500+ posts

the problem with using a browser version is that it's NOT designed for small screens. I have tried using the editor my my ipod's flash browser, photon, but it's just too small! i would not mind it on an ipad (for obvious reasons) but for phone size devices the current method is a pain.

Pondering what to work on.
lallaway12
Scratcher
100+ posts

learnegy wrote:

At this point, due to the Flash dependency, the best Scratch can do on iOS is a web-based JavaScript player for Scratch projects. Since Apple does not allow native apps that load other apps/games (e.g. emulators, virtual machines, etc.), it would have to implemented via the web browser for Apple devices. Android does not have this limitation; so a Scratch player running on Android tablets in the future is feasible. However, rebuilding the player for Android is quite a bit of work and unlikely to be developed by the ST anytime in the near future.
flash to java to apk!

See my blog ITS MAD so subscribe comment and enjoy http://lallawayrandom.blogspot.co.uk/ ask me what to put up there
Feed my dragons
jTron
Scratcher
100+ posts

botcrusher wrote:

you cant do much damage apple makes you code in xcode and not the native c+
C+…+?
C++/C#/etc. is not native to Cocoa. Xcode is not a programming language, it is an interface to help you program in Objective-C which can do just as much damage as “C+”.

clipd • osx clipboard manager and history

;
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

I don't think this topic has been inactive, because the question in hand “can someone confirm this?” Has not been answered. So I believe I am not necroposting.

I have a great book that explains this, and I don't think apple will allow scratch on mobile devices - both application wise and Internet.

(Safari) does not allow flash anymore:

Of course you could download a flash allowing browser on your smartphone

And! As people are saying, apple does not favor coding applications (like JavaScript) as it can mess up apple devices.

Although I have seen c++ coding applications because those applications have been checked over for glitches…

But scratch has previously posted a scratch application and it got removed, so mobile scratch might be very hard to make.

Last edited by KrIsMa (Aug. 27, 2013 16:21:57)

Fellow Wikian.
macadam
Scratcher
500+ posts

How will you do with arrow keys??????

Macadam, Scratcher since october 2012. Started as a stupid immature kid - but trying to clean that painful rembering
macadam
Scratcher
500+ posts

KrIsMa wrote:

I don't think this topic has been inactive, because the question in hand “can someone confirm this?” Has not been answered. So I believe I am not necroposting.

I have a great book that explains this, and I don't think apple will allow scratch on mobile devices - both application wise and Internet.

And! As people are saying, apple does not favor coding applications (like JavaScript) as it can mess up apple devices.

Although I have seen c++ coding applications because those applications have been checked over for glitches…

But scratch has previously posted a scratch application and it got removed, so mobile scratch might be very hard to make.

My browser is Safari,and Flash Player works perfectly on it.

Macadam, Scratcher since october 2012. Started as a stupid immature kid - but trying to clean that painful rembering
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

macadam wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

sorry clarification ; safari on ios devices

Fellow Wikian.
macadam
Scratcher
500+ posts

KrIsMa wrote:

macadam wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

sorry clarification ; safari on ios devices
Ah ok,flash player ABSOLUTLY don't works on my iPad's Safari. But how will i do with games using arrow keys?

dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

macadam wrote:

Ah ok,flash player ABSOLUTLY don't works on my iPad's Safari. But how will i do with games using arrow keys?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/11/zaggmate-ipad-case.jpg

comp500
Scratcher
100+ posts

dracae wrote:

macadam wrote:

iCade might be better…

Ubuntu 13.04: Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800) Windows 7: Same Both: Dell Inspiron 545: Dual-Core w/3GB RAM… let's stop boasting now…
For more info ask me on my profile page…
AttackScratch.php
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

comp500 wrote:

dracae wrote:

macadam wrote:

iCade might be better…
Whatever I just went to google images XD

(First result ftw)

macadam
Scratcher
500+ posts

dracae wrote:

macadam wrote:

Ok…i understand. But i don't have a keyboard on it.

klomaster10
Scratcher
100+ posts

MrScribblenaut wrote:

comp500 wrote:

MrScribblenaut wrote:

Can we ever expect a Scratch app for iOS someday? If I do remember correctly, a long while back something was said about Scratch being for mobile devices… Can anyone confirm this?

-MrScribblenaut
Check the scratch Suggestions site (not the forum) and search for it, they have info there or look on the scratch blog, both are linked from the main scratch site.

Nothing was confirmed about mobile devices in the suggestions website, but I did find that a couple years ago it was discussed in Scratch forums here, and I found that someone used the LogMeIn app to use Scratch from their computer here. I'll have to see if you could do that with 2.0. Thanks for your help!
Check out mres's profile page @mres .

Plus why couldn't they just make an alternate website for tablets, not even making an app at all, using an operating program that works with ios. Apple can't stop you going on a website!