Discuss Scratch

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Opt-in to help test the beta project player!

We now have a beta version of the Scratch project player designed to fix the lag when using image effects (caused by changes in Adobe Flash). We need your help to test it out!

To opt-in to test the beta player, click your user icon in the upper right corner and select ‘Account Settings’

Click the “Beta Testing” tab and check the checkbox beside “Try out the beta Scratch project player.” Next click ‘update’ to save your change.

Now every time you view a project, the player will attempt to use “beta player” mode. If your system supports it, you'll see the words “beta player” near the fullscreen button on the project player.

If you've opted in to test the beta, but don't see ‘beta player’, then your system may not support the new player. (Don't worry - Scratch will still work for you, it just won't be fast when showing image effects.)

Found a bug? Click the ‘Beta Bug?’ link beneath the project (this only appears when you've opted in to help beta test!). Please describe what's wrong in as much detail as you can.

Last edited by Lightnin (Jan. 8, 2014 17:18:18)

EH7meow
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yay! This'll make testing using the beta player so much easier.

Ex-Scratch Mentor | Ex-Front Page Curator | Scratch Welcoming Committee Curator | Wiki Editor
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Awesome! I'm testing it now!

Last edited by OrcaCat (Jan. 10, 2014 17:15:05)

DerAxeEffekt
Scratcher
100+ posts

Awesome!

(insert oversized quotation mark) If it is on the internet, it must be true. (insert another oversized quotation mark)
-Abraham Lincoln
Scratchifier
Scratcher
1000+ posts

YAY, the bug with blurry images affecting color sensing seems to be fixed! Thanks ST! (-: Now I just have to hope that when the big game comes out, everything in it will work.
DCV_Diego
New to Scratch
1 post

IT DOESNT WORK! Im making this game called square tales, the square is really pixelated and lagging a lot more than before, please fix this ASAP!
Sometimes, the scripts I put don't work anymore! Taking it out, please fix
pikmin475
Scratcher
27 posts

i will try it!…. with my pikmin friends!
when green flag clicked
say [BYE!] for (2) secs
Ean173
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm testing it, but every single project I watch, I get 3x more lag! I reported it, but still telling you it's on every single one.
if <testing beta player> then
make 3x more lag
else
be normal
[That's how I feel. I am feeling like it's making lag.]

end

Roses are red.
Violets are red.
Bushes are red.
Trees are red.
MY GARDEN IS ON FIRE!!!

If you cringe at what you've done years ago, that means you've grown as a person.
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ean173 wrote:

I'm testing it, but every single project I watch, I get 3x more lag! I reported it, but still telling you it's on every single one.
if <testing beta player> then
make 3x more lag
else
be normal
[That's how I feel. I am feeling like it's making lag.]

end

Hmm, can you give us links to said projects, so we can try? Also - is your player showing “beta player”?
pikmin475
Scratcher
27 posts

does not lag for me!
when green flag clicked
if <[beta project player] = [on]> then helps a lot
else
helps a little less
end
pikmin475
Scratcher
27 posts

if <it lags a lot> then
say [what can u do to help?] for (2) secs

else *eat ice cream*
end
236145ERROR
Scratcher
29 posts

There's an editing mode bug.
Here's the bug
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 6.3, Firefox 26.0, Flash 11.9 (release 900)

grokblah
Scratcher
100+ posts

Update: We just pushed a fix for the size mismatch for the watchers and talk bubbles. Thanks for the bug reports!

Shane
thepiscratchat
Scratcher
9 posts

works good on projects with graphic effects, such as pico show starter project. but others, such as Noxspooth's SCS V5 are lie those with the colour effects before I tried it. still, it does it's job in a way. hopefully we can look forward to development of this solution and maybe others. we can't keep saying no, though, because

Ryan Higa wrote:

If you always say no, You'll never say yes

so yeah.

epicsauce1337 wrote:

this guy is much more awesome than me

Pico wrote:

banana!
turkey3_test
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Awesome, guys!

andrewjcole
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'll try it! Just so you know though, the “beta bug?” button doesn't link anywhere.

TM_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUG REPORT
When you visit the editor with the beta-flash player you can't use the regular right-click options. When you right-click you just can import and export a file. Very strange.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 31.0.1650.63, Flash 11.9 (release 900)

My YouTube-Account: TM_ (TMtheScratcher)
Join the Google+ Community “Persist” and test the latest Alpha-versions and get news about the desktop-game! Persist
Happiny-64
Scratcher
76 posts

Now I don't have to go to the test player website when I want to watch a color effect project!
EDIT: 1/11/14
Any time I go to a project, it starts lagging. I don't use the “Beta Bug?” button because it's just not one project.
…My browser/OS isn't posting…

Last edited by Happiny-64 (Jan. 11, 2014 20:24:47)

This account is dead. The user associated with this account has left this website. If you wish to continue seeing animations from this user, click on this link.
skeletonxf
Scratcher
33 posts

On here http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/10163601/ On an i3 with 4 GB RAM I can get 22 fps without the beta player and only 18 with it. This project is quite heavy on image effects so I'm surprised it's made more laggy by the beta player.

You have no idea how much Scratch cradles you from the frustration of syntax errors.
stampcollector
Scratcher
58 posts

Thanks! That way we will get it easier to do this! Testing BETA is going to be easier for now!

Welcome to Scratch! Interested in learning about the community? Join the Scratch Committee!
Want to know the latest news in what is happening? Go to the Scratch News Channel!
when green flag clicked
forever

say [I LOVE Computers!!]
move (10000000000) steps
end