Discuss Scratch
- Discussion Forums
- » Suggestions
- » More Custom Block Options
- StaticPlatform
-
Scratcher
61 posts
More Custom Block Options
Here are some examples:
This mostly describes the other Scratch called Snap, except for the custom tabs and the hat block and the second backpack and the cloud lists and the lists having their own tab.
Thank you for taking your time to read this! I hope you will soon add these features!
(1.) [Organized Custom Blocks v]You could maybe be able to color your custom blocks and instead of them being in the More Blocks tab, they would be in the tab you selected, or a tab that you've made yourself.
play sound [ v] for () secThese are blocks that are like the “if” block or the “repeat” block. It would be cool if Scratch could let us make these blocks.
(2.) [Custom C-shaped Blocks v]
if <> thenThese are those blocks that are the “when” blocks in the “events” tab. This would also really help.
end
(3.) [Custom Hat Blocks v]
when green flag clickedThis is where you have another backpack that you can open and is in a different color which only contains blocks, not sprites. Like the original backpack, you can put blocks into it. But unlike the original backpack, the blocks in there will automatically transfer into the sprite list, if the setting is set to all sprites and backdrops. If the block is set to sprites only, it will automatically go into all the sprites. If the block is set to backdrops only, it will automatically go into the backdrop. If the block is set to some sprites + backdrop only, you will have to select a sprite or the backdrop and drag it into the block list instead of the workspace. If the block is set to some sprites only, you will do the same thing except you cant put it in the backdrop.
(4.) [Custom Block Plugin Backpack v]
play sound [backpack song v] for (5) secThe define block of some custom blocks can get in the way often. What if the define block was saved into the block itself and you can delete it by right-clicking and selecting “delete block” in the right-click menu? You could first create a block by clicking “create new block” after right-clicking the block list and then a new menu would open up, and it's like a mini-version of the workspace, but the blocks you put in will be saved to that one block.
(5.) [No define block v]
terminate [define v]This has already showed up so many times, so I don't have to explain.
(6.) [Custom variables/booleans v]
(counter)Yes, cloud lists may already exist, although only advanced members can use them. If we add cloud lists, anybody would be able to use them. I don't care if it only contains numbers, because that's good enough. The amount of items in a list can divide the total digits per cloud variable by the list length. It should be the same for the cloud variables. Also each list will count as one cloud variable. For example if a list contains 20 items, it will divide the total digits per cloud variable by 20. Also, the Lists should have their own tab.
reset counter
<boolean>
set [boolean v] to [true v]
(7.) [Cloud Lists v]
This mostly describes the other Scratch called Snap, except for the custom tabs and the hat block and the second backpack and the cloud lists and the lists having their own tab.
Thank you for taking your time to read this! I hope you will soon add these features!
- Forum_Helper1
-
New Scratcher
500+ posts
More Custom Block Options
A part of this has already been suggested, such as the shape of the custom blocks, ex:
Edit: yep!
For getting rid of the define part:
1) In more advanced programming languages have the define function. Scratch is an introduction to programming, and I feel that it should have as many features of those programming languages as possible while still making it easy to use.
2) If you want to see how it is defined, a simple “define” is easier to see than having to click on the block, and have it come up with a whole long list of other blocks.
Cloud lists are rejected, partially because cloud variables already have made the servers for cloud data slow down significantly.
I hope I didn't sound attacking in this post. Sorry if I did!
Thanks!
-FH1
<Custom Operator :: custom>I hope I did the formatting right…
Edit: yep!
For getting rid of the define part:
1) In more advanced programming languages have the define function. Scratch is an introduction to programming, and I feel that it should have as many features of those programming languages as possible while still making it easy to use.
2) If you want to see how it is defined, a simple “define” is easier to see than having to click on the block, and have it come up with a whole long list of other blocks.
Cloud lists are rejected, partially because cloud variables already have made the servers for cloud data slow down significantly.
I hope I didn't sound attacking in this post. Sorry if I did!
Thanks!
-FH1
Last edited by Forum_Helper1 (April 9, 2017 16:18:18)
- WindOctahedron
-
Scratcher
1000+ posts
More Custom Block Options
Okay, I know that this is more than 2 years old, but I have to post this. I am sorry if I made a wrong decision. (And necroposts are made often anyway…)
Firstly, each suggestion must be posted in a separate topic.
Secondly:
1. Duplicate.
2. and 3. are both duplicates of one thread.
4. I don't have anything to say about this. A new topic can be made.
5. I agree with Forum_Helper1:
6. Duplicate.
7. Rejected:
Firstly, each suggestion must be posted in a separate topic.
Secondly:
1. Duplicate.
2. and 3. are both duplicates of one thread.
4. I don't have anything to say about this. A new topic can be made.
5. I agree with Forum_Helper1:
If you want to see how it is defined, a simple “define” is easier to see than having to click on the block, and have it come up with a whole long list of other blocks.However, a new topic can be made.
6. Duplicate.
7. Rejected:
1.6 Cloud lists
Cloud variables currently have several restrictions. There can be at most 10 cloud variables per project due to server costs. New Scratchers cannot use cloud variables, for it is easy to misuse them. Cloud variables can only support up to 256 numeric digits to restrict the creation of chat projects; for more information, see #3.1 on this list.
The block below would allow you to create lists to be stored on the servers for everyone to see, similar to cloud variables. However, cloud lists would require similar restrictions as listed above, and the issues currently presented with cloud variables would only grow with the addition of cloud lists. You can still use cloud variables to create a list which contains entries everyone can see, but the Scratch Team will not be adding an easy official way to make cloud lists.(☁ list :: list)
- Discussion Forums
- » Suggestions
-
» More Custom Block Options