Discuss Scratch

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Please don't necropost. This topic is obviously rejected, seen with dude341's post.
Look at:

bybb wrote:

This topic is obviously rejected, seen with dude341's post.
No? This suggestion is asking for skewing to be added, not 3D Scratch.
Mode 7 isn't 3D, it's different ways to transform sprites, skewing being the one allowing 3D.

badatprogrammingibe wrote:

YoshiN64 wrote:

Well, maybe this has been brought up before, but here's why it isn't possible, at least simply.

Ahem.

"Mode 7 allows for a layer to be freely ROTATED, SCALED, and Skewed."

In Scratch, we can freely scale and rotate anything, but not skew. So that ends that, doesn't it?

Not really. In theory, we could make several different sprites, and move them to create a similar effect, but… that won't look as fluid.

Otherwise, true Mode 7 in Scratch is all but dead… Yikes.
Please don't necropost. This topic is obviously rejected, seen with dude341's post.
Please be constructive.

KJRYoshi07 wrote:

YoshiN64 wrote:

Well, maybe this has been brought up before, but here's why it isn't possible, at least simply.

Ahem.

In Scratch, we can freely scale and rotate anything, but not skew. So that ends that, doesn't it?

Not really. In theory, we could make several different sprites, and move them to create a similar effect, but… that won't look as fluid.

It isn't a necropost, as it was a pretty constructive post.
I posted that a year ago, meaning it probably isn't relevant any more.

Placeholder
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

KJRYoshi07 wrote:

YoshiN64 wrote:

Ahem.

It isn't a necropost, as it was a pretty constructive post.
Oops.

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

dude341 wrote:

Look at:

bybb wrote:

Mode 7 isn't 3D, it's different ways to transform sprites, skewing being the one allowing 3D.
I made an accident.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

dude341 wrote:

Look at:

bybb wrote:

I made an accident.
You didn't make an accident, you made a mistake. There's a difference.
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

miniepicness wrote:

dude341 wrote:

Look at:

bybb wrote:

I made an accident.
You didn't make an accident, you made a mistake. There's a difference.
You get what I mean.

YoshiN64
Scratcher
7 posts

(THIS IS OLD) Mode 7!

Wow. I did not expect to re-ignite this. Anyways, yeah, Skewing would be nice to have. It'd be good in animations to show speed, deceleration, etc. In games, however, it would have a far better purpose.

Imagine a straight line, 480 by 1 (X by Y), at X: 0, Y: -180. Draw the line, make it 1 size smaller, rinse and repeat. We now have a polygon. Now, we move each individual line to skew the shape. There. Skewing, but… My goodness, that's going to be complicated. Skewing allows for you to make that road polygon in the editor, and then move each line individually with the block… Might look something like this:
Skew (y)(skew)

That aside, skewing likely WON'T be added. Remember, Scratch is for 6-12 year olds, and most of them are learning this in school. It likely is too complex for these kids. I've heard people wanted scrolling to be added, and suggested it ONLY be usable by Scratchers. Scratch Team could do that, but… Wishful thinking.

Last edited by YoshiN64 (Oct. 6, 2018 17:37:41)

YOSHIN64, head of Revolution studio.