Discuss Scratch

ienzor
New to Scratch
6 posts

School IT

bybb wrote:

When I was in Year 5 and I was going to Secondary School on thursdays instead of doing PE an ICT teacher let a student use his laptop, huge mistake! The student stole the excel spreadsheet containing every users username and password and then decided to start logging into every account he could and changing profile images, deleting files, stealing emails etc etc. He also stored a copy of the excel spreadsheet on his dropbox account. I'm pretty sure the student was hoping to get away with it but the student also made a huge mistake. He used the same computer he was previously logged into. IT support tracked him down and the student was forced to delete the file from his dropbox and then permanently excluded. The school did the smart thing and changed EVERYONE'S password in case the student had another back-up. Worst thing was, people were having their files deleted while they were logged on and that's how the school found out. If the student had only waited for the next day and didn't delete files, he would have probably got away with it.
Exactly why they shouldn't even have your password

pls bring back the 80s
StackMasher
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

if our school computers had the superior OS© Linux, I would be able to screw around with them more
but we have windows, and I can barely use it so the most I could figure out is batch files are runnable as administrator (you'd think they would block regular users from performing things as admin but)

Last edited by StackMasher (March 23, 2017 18:12:33)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

StackMasher wrote:

if our school computers had the superior OS© Linux, I would be able to screw around with them more
but we have windows, and I can barely use it so the most I could figure out is batch files are runnable as administrator (you'd think they would block regular users from performing things as admin but)
Having administrator permissions is far from barely usable

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
CutieCow17
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Firedrake969 wrote:

StackMasher wrote:

if our school computers had the superior OS© Linux, I would be able to screw around with them more
but we have windows, and I can barely use it so the most I could figure out is batch files are runnable as administrator (you'd think they would block regular users from performing things as admin but)
Having administrator permissions is far from barely usable
Our school has administrators and because of that we can't install the software needed for our home printers.

Great.

Last edited by CutieCow17 (March 24, 2017 06:20:45)



GENERATION 361: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. I did not start this.
What are signatures for?
Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

School IT

I also have a story about kids logging into other accounts, thanks to usernames being first.lastXX and passwords being XXXX, where the X's are the last few digits of your student ID, and there literally being a list of names and student IDs on the computer, presumably for teachers to use to log into any student. The other kids think I hacked the school computers now because when they logged into my account the servers happened to glitch out just then (they had been glitching out occasionally for a while now) so they couldn't open any folders and all the desktop icons were missing.

It's been confirmed that my school doesn't even have an IT department btw, and the same kids discovered that you can just open PowerShell and request admin permissions. Luckily, none of these kids actually want to do anything bad though, and there's not much damage to be done anyways since no one keeps anything important or personal on the student computers.
StackMasher
Scratcher
100+ posts

School IT

Firedrake969 wrote:

StackMasher wrote:

if our school computers had the superior OS© Linux, I would be able to screw around with them more
but we have windows, and I can barely use it so the most I could figure out is batch files are runnable as administrator (you'd think they would block regular users from performing things as admin but)
Having administrator permissions is far from barely usable
I meant I can barely navigate windows I don't use it

Last edited by StackMasher (March 24, 2017 05:45:41)

awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

I need to put blue screen of death screensavers on every school computer.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

I am the school IT.
After dropping out of high school, I ironically started working at a school as the IT guy.
Most things are managed by the Department, but I do stuff like fixing computers, deploying software, managing printers, IT support and troubleshooting, etc. If it's something I can't solve or don't have permission to do, I just log an IT support request and the regional team can solve it.

I just logged into the school's terminal server and done a speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6181184942.png
Pretty fast at night time when there's no one using all the bandwidth. Schools here have a symmetrical (upload and download are the same speed) fibre link. Our internet traffic goes through the Department's proxy server in Sydney. That can make websites load faster even for schools with a slow connection. It also allows them to filter websites.

-stache- wrote:

All email passwords in spreadsheet accessible to all teachers…
We are able to reset passwords, but afaik it is against some privacy policy to access a student's accounts.

awesome-llama wrote:

Almost every computer at my school has access to a collaboration folder, mainly used for submitting tasks that we have done on the computer. I spent a while looking through the years of files stored there and found some funny stuff, empty folders and useless files.

<snip>

Another thing: our usernames are our first and last names joined with a “.” and default passwords were “password1”. Though it isn't too bad since the passwords can be changed.
Do you go to a NSW public school? Just curious because of the collaboration folder and the username format (firstname.lastname). All schools here running eT4L servers have a Collaboration folder like the one you mentioned.
Last year after our school migrated to the new server, students were storing heaps of games in the collaboration folder and their home folders. After emailing the deputy principal a long list of students who were storing games on the server, she warned them and it stopped.

When I see students playing inappropriate games (such as GTA) in the library, I like to have a bit of fun. I walk past their computer and look at the 3 digit number written on it. Then I login to a computer near them (but not directly next to them) and look up the name of the computer that is associated with that number. I open Command Prompt and run the tasklist command to see a list of programs running on their computer, then use taskkill to kill the game. Sometimes I also make a message appear on their screen.


Want to write text in rainbow? How about uʍop-ǝpısdn? Or just sdrawkcab? Get the TextTools Chrome extension!
My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

awesome-llama wrote:

I need to put blue screen of death screensavers on every school computer.
Here you go: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bluescreen.aspx

When I was a student, I used to do things like change the Internet Explorer shortcut to open that screensaver. Another thing you can do is take a screenshot of the desktop and set it as the desktop background, then either kill explorer.exe in Task Manager or delete the real icons and hide the taskbar.


Want to write text in rainbow? How about uʍop-ǝpısdn? Or just sdrawkcab? Get the TextTools Chrome extension!
My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Since the previous IT guy left before I started working at the school, I sometimes need to access his files on the old server to find information, software, licenses, etc. When I was looking in there, I found scripts that block flash games and Minecraft…
Surprisingly, I found that he also hosted Minecraft on the school server.


Want to write text in rainbow? How about uʍop-ǝpısdn? Or just sdrawkcab? Get the TextTools Chrome extension!
My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
PintOfMilk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

nathanprocks wrote:

I am the school IT.
After dropping out of high school, I ironically started working at a school as the IT guy.
Most things are managed by the Department, but I do stuff like fixing computers, deploying software, managing printers, IT support and troubleshooting, etc. If it's something I can't solve or don't have permission to do, I just log an IT support request and the regional team can solve it.

I just logged into the school's terminal server and done a speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6181184942.png
Pretty fast at night time when there's no one using all the bandwidth. Schools here have a symmetrical (upload and download are the same speed) fibre link. Our internet traffic goes through the Department's proxy server in Sydney. That can make websites load faster even for schools with a slow connection. It also allows them to filter websites.

-stache- wrote:

All email passwords in spreadsheet accessible to all teachers…
We are able to reset passwords, but afaik it is against some privacy policy to access a student's accounts.

awesome-llama wrote:

Almost every computer at my school has access to a collaboration folder, mainly used for submitting tasks that we have done on the computer. I spent a while looking through the years of files stored there and found some funny stuff, empty folders and useless files.

<snip>

Another thing: our usernames are our first and last names joined with a “.” and default passwords were “password1”. Though it isn't too bad since the passwords can be changed.
Do you go to a NSW public school? Just curious because of the collaboration folder and the username format (firstname.lastname). All schools here running eT4L servers have a Collaboration folder like the one you mentioned.
Last year after our school migrated to the new server, students were storing heaps of games in the collaboration folder and their home folders. After emailing the deputy principal a long list of students who were storing games on the server, she warned them and it stopped.

When I see students playing inappropriate games (such as GTA) in the library, I like to have a bit of fun. I walk past their computer and look at the 3 digit number written on it. Then I login to a computer near them (but not directly next to them) and look up the name of the computer that is associated with that number. I open Command Prompt and run the tasklist command to see a list of programs running on their computer, then use taskkill to kill the game. Sometimes I also make a message appear on their screen.
Yeah well there's cmd.exe obviously for students and then you can do it using shortcuts. Try it worked on my decent IT . http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Disguised-Computer-Shutdown-Error-Bu/?ALLSTEPS
awesome-llama
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

nathanprocks wrote:

I am the school IT.
After dropping out of high school, I ironically started working at a school as the IT guy.
Most things are managed by the Department, but I do stuff like fixing computers, deploying software, managing printers, IT support and troubleshooting, etc. If it's something I can't solve or don't have permission to do, I just log an IT support request and the regional team can solve it.

I just logged into the school's terminal server and done a speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6181184942.png
Pretty fast at night time when there's no one using all the bandwidth. Schools here have a symmetrical (upload and download are the same speed) fibre link. Our internet traffic goes through the Department's proxy server in Sydney. That can make websites load faster even for schools with a slow connection. It also allows them to filter websites.

-stache- wrote:

All email passwords in spreadsheet accessible to all teachers…
We are able to reset passwords, but afaik it is against some privacy policy to access a student's accounts.

awesome-llama wrote:

Almost every computer at my school has access to a collaboration folder, mainly used for submitting tasks that we have done on the computer. I spent a while looking through the years of files stored there and found some funny stuff, empty folders and useless files.

<snip>

Another thing: our usernames are our first and last names joined with a “.” and default passwords were “password1”. Though it isn't too bad since the passwords can be changed.
Do you go to a NSW public school? Just curious because of the collaboration folder and the username format (firstname.lastname). All schools here running eT4L servers have a Collaboration folder like the one you mentioned.
Last year after our school migrated to the new server, students were storing heaps of games in the collaboration folder and their home folders. After emailing the deputy principal a long list of students who were storing games on the server, she warned them and it stopped.

When I see students playing inappropriate games (such as GTA) in the library, I like to have a bit of fun. I walk past their computer and look at the 3 digit number written on it. Then I login to a computer near them (but not directly next to them) and look up the name of the computer that is associated with that number. I open Command Prompt and run the tasklist command to see a list of programs running on their computer, then use taskkill to kill the game. Sometimes I also make a message appear on their screen.
Yes, I do go to a NSW public high school.
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Glad this is back up. It was getting a little out of hand

Explore403 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

There are many things with primary school IT and new school IT
1. Windows + R = run
2. cmd.exe sometimes isn't blocked.
3. Bad file types aren't blocked like bat

HUGE PROBLEMS RIGHT THERE
Please don't talk in ALL CAPS.

-card100



Search all posts by me by searching on Google: as;dflasdfpa98qweryhasdfvpiajnsdfvoaphsdnfajo
herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

card100 wrote:

Glad this is back up. It was getting a little out of hand

Explore403 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

There are many things with primary school IT and new school IT
1. Windows + R = run
2. cmd.exe sometimes isn't blocked.
3. Bad file types aren't blocked like bat

HUGE PROBLEMS RIGHT THERE
Please don't talk in ALL CAPS.
He was using it show how big the problem is…
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

herohamp wrote:

card100 wrote:

Glad this is back up. It was getting a little out of hand

Explore403 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

There are many things with primary school IT and new school IT
1. Windows + R = run
2. cmd.exe sometimes isn't blocked.
3. Bad file types aren't blocked like bat

HUGE PROBLEMS RIGHT THERE
Please don't talk in ALL CAPS.
He was using it show how big the problem is…

bybb wrote:

please refrain from using excessive CAPS, emoticons, or Talking Like This

-card100



Search all posts by me by searching on Google: as;dflasdfpa98qweryhasdfvpiajnsdfvoaphsdnfajo
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

card100 wrote:

herohamp wrote:

card100 wrote:

Glad this is back up. It was getting a little out of hand

Explore403 wrote:

PintOfMilk wrote:

There are many things with primary school IT and new school IT
1. Windows + R = run
2. cmd.exe sometimes isn't blocked.
3. Bad file types aren't blocked like bat

HUGE PROBLEMS RIGHT THERE
Please don't talk in ALL CAPS.
He was using it show how big the problem is…

bybb wrote:

please refrain from using excessive CAPS, emoticons, or Talking Like This
Keyword is excessive. Because it wouldn't have had the same meaning if it was in lowercase, I wouldn't consider it excessive. In lowercase it would sound more sarcastic, read it in a casual voice to see what I mean. In uppercase, you would read it like it was louder and more important, turning it from sounding like a sarcastic remark to sounding like an exclamation to emphasise a point.

EDIT: Quotes weren't properly closed.

Last edited by bybb (April 2, 2017 15:09:55)


You see y'all think you're cool with your DNS Level adblocks (PiHole lol)
But my school uses HTTPS MITM to block ads

Btw I'm bybb on Keybase: https://bybb.keybase.pub/scratch-identity.txt
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

nathanprocks wrote:

I open Command Prompt and run the tasklist command to see a list of programs running on their computer, then use taskkill to kill the game. Sometimes I also make a message appear on their screen.
Thats hilarious

Edit: why typos

Last edited by miniepicness (April 2, 2017 15:41:10)

DeleteThisAcount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

What kind of messages?



bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

DeleteThisAcount wrote:

What kind of messages?
Probably to scare the student. Like a message saying something like "I can see you're player game-name"

You see y'all think you're cool with your DNS Level adblocks (PiHole lol)
But my school uses HTTPS MITM to block ads

Btw I'm bybb on Keybase: https://bybb.keybase.pub/scratch-identity.txt
card100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School IT

Fixed all the grammer and spelling mistakes in main post:

bybb wrote:

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Discuss bad and good school IT.

Sadly the old topic got removed most likely due to people discussing piracy, methods of piracy, too much leet speak and discussing ways of breaking school IT policies (I have to say I contributed to that).

In this topic I want to set a few rules first:

To quote the Advanced Topics FAQ:

please refrain from using excessive CAPS, emoticons, or Talking Like This
Please don't use leetspeak unless it's necessary to a story.

Don't discuss piracy or methods of piracy even if you say you don't encourage it.
In the UK GCHQ monitor all internet traffic searching for software pirates, sometimes downloading alone isn't enough to get you arrested, posting evidence that you HAVE been doing so will most likely end up with a few or more police officers at your house. And if you're a child, your parents will probably get arrested for not checking what your doing (It counts as neglect)

Please discuss things not only related to your schools IT problems in general, but be more specific. We started having a conversation about bad printer setups in the old thread which was interesting.

If you see spam, non-needed leet speak or other posts talking about subjects of dubious legality, please report the post before the subject gets out of hand.

This thread is for Good School IT, Bad School IT and anything related to school IT. Got some good news about your IT being a bit better lately? Discuss it here.

Please don't just say things like “My school IT is good” or “My school IT is bad”, this is the advanced topics, pick some interesting points (such as pay to print printers) that people can expand upon and get a good conversation, go into technical specifics and see what other people have to say.

And if you follow these rules I'm sure this topic will be much better than the older one (we can finally discuss good things so we won't run out of posts as easy!)

-card100



Search all posts by me by searching on Google: as;dflasdfpa98qweryhasdfvpiajnsdfvoaphsdnfajo

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile