Discuss Scratch

Tymewalk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have an idea for a block

No support, given that it's very specific.

Also, aren't you able to report projects specifically intended to give epileptics seizures?

bold thing - italic thing - underlined thing - strikethrough thing
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WaffleChurro wrote:

awesome5185 wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

awesome5185 wrote:

WaffleChurro wrote:

No Support

Shaky screens are disorientating and give some people seizures.
This is subjective, plus, it doesn't have to be a big shake. To not support because of that seems a bit… petty.

Just my opinion!
Good job editing out the important part of the post. I think seizures are a valid point, although there are probably other things you can do now that are more likely to cause them.
If this is true, people would have already had them due to the number of *MLG* games on Scratch.

Well, color effect and flashy lights could give people epilepsy seizures, so why should we make another block that could do stuff like that? Maybe you have never experienced having/seeing a seizure, and let me tell you it's not nice. I feel that people would just use shaking to annoy or trick people in projects.
Maybe a limit on how shaky it can be

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
Galleigo-Labs
Scratcher
3 posts

How about

shake [everything v] with strength () for () secs :: motion // Can also be selected to shake any sprite.
stop shaking [banana peel v] :: motion

// For example, maybe I want everything except for a certain sprite to shake.
// Putting these blocks together would allow that.

Heya! I'm Galleigo Labs. Welcome to my signature! Nothing much here. Go check out my main!
Galleigo-Labs
Scratcher
3 posts

Tymewalk wrote:

No support, given that it's very specific.

Also, aren't you able to report projects specifically intended to give epileptics seizures?
Well, we already have this thing called
change [color v] effect by (25)
so…

Heya! I'm Galleigo Labs. Welcome to my signature! Nothing much here. Go check out my main!
MCGUY15
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support because:
1. I would never use this;
2. As said, this could be potentially dangerous to people who get seizures
3. Why would you ever even need this? It is way to specific and if you want to accomplish this, the workaround is EZ.

hi
sundun
New to Scratch
18 posts

No support.
I came up with a simple workaround for it:
when green flag clicked
forever
glide (...) secs to x: (pick random (...) to (...)) y: (pick random (...) to (...))
end

Also what WaffleChurro said.

(optional for scratchblocks above ^^ do repeat block instead of the forever one)

Last edited by sundun (July 8, 2017 20:02:09)

hi
i'm not new
i like twenty one pilots too
i like dogs
and cats in logs
bye
dthayer
Scratcher
7 posts

i was thinking of a voice recondition from the words stand point so a block that scans for sounds and a variable that says what
the microphone says.
 scan for sounds
( microphone)

Last edited by dthayer (July 9, 2017 03:59:20)

FancyFoxy
Scratcher
500+ posts

dthayer wrote:

i was thinking of a voice recondition from the words stand point so a block that scans for sounds and a variable that says what
the microphone says.
 scan for sounds
( microphone)
Please post your own topic for stuff like this.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. THIS MEANS IT IS AN AUTOMATIC MESSAGE THAT APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM OF ALL MY POSTS.
Hi! I'm FancyFoxy! I create animations and games that were never, EVER meant to be taken seriously.
FancyFoxy Heroes and #Thanksgiving are some of my latest projects, check them out!
WILLIAM7345
Scratcher
12 posts

Cool…
Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Workaroundable,not support.
define shake strenght (strenght)
set [stop? v] to [no]
repeat until <(stop?) = [yes]>
change x by (strenght)
change x by ((0) - (strenght))
change x by (strenght)
end
set [stop? v] to [no]

define stop shaking
set [stop? v] to [yes]
just in case,
(stop?)
is a private var.

Last edited by Botcho_Otkho (July 17, 2017 19:16:13)

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Uhh.. you could just do something like this:
go to x: (pick random (1) to (-1)) y: (pick random (-1) to (1))
It's a rather simple workaround, so.. neutral support?

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WaffleChurro wrote:

Well, color effect and flashy lights could give people epilepsy seizures, so why should we make another block that could do stuff like that? Maybe you have never experienced having/seeing a seizure, and let me tell you it's not nice. I feel that people would just use shaking to annoy or trick people in projects.
Unfortunately, this is true..
But I don't really think anyone who can have seizures is going to be on the internet..? Almost anything that moves could cause seizures.. and I'm not sure if someone who can have a seizure is going to look at a rapidly flashing image until they get a seizure..
And no; I've never experienced having a seizure, or ever seen someone have one. The most that ever really happens to me when I see any flashing light or rapidly moving image is that I might get eyestrain, a headache, or in rare cases I might get a little lightheaded.
But yes, unfortunately some users want to use things like this block to have the possibility of giving a user eyestrain or something.. they already do this with the color effect blocks..

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
BlackIgloo
Scratcher
39 posts

I know this might sound stupid but, just make all the sprites shake with a move 10 step block or something

Hi.
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As many people have said here, this could give people seizures and the CG clearly states that Scratch is for people with all abilities so you can't hurt a couple of people. I strongly disagree with this idea (no offense).

Hey there! My name is Nammy. I'm a male Forum Helper and Scratch Wiki Editor.
Profile | Test Account | Talk with me here! | Griffpatch is quitting Scratch?!
Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nambaseking01 wrote:

this could give people seizures
Yeah but
forever
end

Last edited by Mr_PenguinAlex (Dec. 5, 2019 22:03:40)

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I love how people are just no supporting because they weren't absolutely 100% specific in every way about what it does, even though it is clear on what it does.
It shakes the screen.

Also people keep saying “no support because seizures lolololl” even though:
when green flag clicked
forever
end
is a thing.

JKBisms
Scratcher
100+ posts

I give support. This kind of block would be helpful for my animations, as the work-around takes quite a bit of time. Although, the block should only apply to individual sprites, but more than one sprite could be coordinated to shake with this idea! Clever thought for a block that I wish was conceived a long time ago!

I'm sorry, an evil Coconut has eaten this signature, because the Kumquat was on vacation

cooluser151
Scratcher
2 posts

For some reason, someone said kaj was on here
just sayin
be careful i guess

Last edited by cooluser151 (Jan. 7, 2021 01:18:25)

lumul
New to Scratch
1 post

WaffleChurro wrote:

awesome5185 wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

awesome5185 wrote:

WaffleChurro wrote:

No Support

Shaky screens are disorientating and give some people seizures.
This is subjective, plus, it doesn't have to be a big shake. To not support because of that seems a bit… petty.

Just my opinion!
Good job editing out the important part of the post. I think seizures are a valid point, although there are probably other things you can do now that are more likely to cause them.
If this is true, people would have already had them due to the number of *MLG* games on Scratch.

JKBisms
Scratcher
100+ posts

Don't Necropost

I'm sorry, an evil Coconut has eaten this signature, because the Kumquat was on vacation