Discuss Scratch

Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

Hey there Scratch Team and other Scratchers!
I came up with an idea…. I was thinking that maybe we could have bbCode in project comments!
Don't know what bbCode is? Well bbCode is what allows one to do cool things in forum posts like Bold or Italics!
I'm not sure if this has ever been suggested before or maybe even rejected before but I wanted to see if we could give it a shot!
The reason I am after bbCode in comments is so that we could maybe embed a link in a comment like Community Guidelines instead of http://scratch.mit.edu/community_guidelines/
Or we could put a smiley face in the comments like ‘That was a really cool idea!
We could also quote people in our comments!
For example:
From Unrealisation
'It doesn't matter how ‘advanced’ your project is, as long as you've tried your best, it is the best'

Here's an example comment we could do with bbCode in Scratch comments!
Example:
Skizzors

Wow! That was a really cool project, tcodina!
I like how you used cloning and other effects that Scratch has available! It seems like you really know your Scratching!
It reminds me of this quote…
From Unrealisation
'It doesn't matter how ‘advanced’ your project is, as long as you've tried your best, it is the best'
I hope you keep getting better and better at Scratch programming!

Sincerely,
Skizzors

Wouldn't that be a really cool comment to see on one of your projects?
bbCode would really liven up comments!

I hope you deeply consider putting bbCode in Scratch comments!

Thanks,
Skizzors

Official Arduino Uno owner and user!
I support ROSMan's extra emoticons set
'It doesn't matter how ‘advanced’ your project is, as long as you've tried your best, it is the best' - Unrealisation
Unrealisation
Scratcher
100+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

(long unnecessary quote removed by moderator - please don't spam)

I really like the quoting in the comments idea! However, I can see it getting it quite annoying if there's a long chain of quotes - it would take a long time to scroll down to see other comments. As for the smiley face idea, I personally really don't like having those in the comments. I think it's the fact that it's a different color that annoys me, I'm not sure. I don't mind them in forum posts though

Last edited by Paddle2See (June 1, 2021 16:32:05)

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I like the idea of being able to format your comments some and being able to build prettier links and such! But it would create some difficulties for our censoring software that looks for inappropriate words. Also, I think it might add some complexity to an area where we really want to keep it as simple as possible (so that even the most inexperienced Scratchers can use them).

But I do think it would be cool if people could at least change font color and font size, maybe with some formatting tools instead of BB code. I think it would be very helpful for role-playing as you could use colors and fonts to differentiate between character dialog and “asides”, etc.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

Paddle2See wrote:

I like the idea of being able to format your comments some and being able to build prettier links and such! But it would create some difficulties for our censoring software that looks for inappropriate words. Also, I think it might add some complexity to an area where we really want to keep it as simple as possible (so that even the most inexperienced Scratchers can use them).

But I do think it would be cool if people could at least change font color and font size, maybe with some formatting tools instead of BB code. I think it would be very helpful for role-playing as you could use colors and fonts to differentiate between character dialog and “asides”, etc.
Hmmm… I understand why it would be bad with the censoring software… I had a Minecraft server once and I had a censoring ‘plugin’ on it and I installed another ‘plugin’ which allowed one to change the colour of the chat text and it allowed it because it would let you do &e but not just because it thought the &e was part of the word. Just wondering… What programming language is your censoring software written in? JavaScript?

'It doesn't matter how ‘advanced’ your project is, as long as you've tried your best, it is the best' - Unrealisation
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I support the general idea of changing the format of comments. But as Paddle put it, sometimes BBCode makes it easier to type bad words because you can put the code in the middle of a word which causes the parser to forget it was reading a bad word.

Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

I support the general idea of changing the format of comments. But as Paddle put it, sometimes BBCode makes it easier to type bad words because you can put the code in the middle of a word which causes the parser to forget it was reading a bad word.
I agree with Paddle2See also about the censoring software, but if someone was willing to check out all the codes for BBCode and put in every possible bad word using BBCode into the software, that would fix it. I might be able to do this if I had the code for the parsers.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

Skizzors wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

I agree with Paddle2See also about the censoring software, but if someone was willing to check out all the codes for BBCode and put in every possible bad word using BBCode into the software, that would fix it. I might be able to do this if I had the code for the parsers.
Well, the censoring software is a third-party package (not created in-house at the MIT Media lab) so I don't know what language it is in - nor can we make changes to it easily (other than to make suggestions to the company supplying it). But thanks for the offer!

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

Paddle2See wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Well, the censoring software is a third-party package (not created in-house at the MIT Media lab) so I don't know what language it is in - nor can we make changes to it easily (other than to make suggestions to the company supplying it). But thanks for the offer!
Well do you have a censoring software for the forums?

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I think that mainly it would be a good idea to have emoticons and links.
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

AonymousGuy wrote:

But also quotes…

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

Skizzors wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

But also quotes…
Well, quote chains lag a lot. And, it would make it really easy for spam:

Spambot wrote:

*Really long quote chain*
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

AonymousGuy wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

But also quotes…
Well, quote chains lag a lot. And, it would make it really easy for spam:

Spambot wrote:

*Really long quote chain*
But what if you can only do 1 quote?

ErnieParke
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I like the idea of added customizability to comments; it would definitely make them livelier! Plus, there are a few things that would benefit from them, like text-based RPG's and giving constructive criticism.

I don't like the idea of quotes, though. I'd feel like the comments are getting cluttered, and for anything long, there are the forums.

I'm also not sure about the colored text and the such. Comments are supposed to be easy and simple to use, but how would you implement colored text while keeping that simplicity?

Either way, nice ideas!

My thoughts,

ErnieParke

Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

ErnieParke wrote:

I like the idea of added customizability to comments; it would definitely make them livelier! Plus, there are a few things that would benefit from them, like text-based RPG's and giving constructive criticism.

I don't like the idea of quotes, though. I'd feel like the comments are getting cluttered, and for anything long, there are the forums.

I'm also not sure about the colored text and the such. Comments are supposed to be easy and simple to use, but how would you implement colored text while keeping that simplicity?

Either way, nice ideas!

My thoughts,

ErnieParke
About the quotes… I was thinking maybe you were restricted only to do one quote in a comment and you can't quote quotes.

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

Skizzors wrote:

Well then what is the point of having quotes?
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

AonymousGuy wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

For actual quotes like the one by Unrealisation I mentioned in the original post.

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

Skizzors wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

For actual quotes like the one by Unrealisation I mentioned in the original post.
Well but what if you want to have 2 like that?
Skizzors
Scratcher
49 posts

bbCode in Comments?

AonymousGuy wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

Skizzors wrote:

Well but what if you want to have 2 like that?
So like
Blah blah blah
hadsdasjkdhkajd
The best quote ever

jontmy00
Scratcher
500+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I only support bold, strikethrough, italics, and underline. Everything else will make it to spammy.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bbCode in Comments?

I believe that you are not able to do much in the way of formatting when it comes to project comments, other than _meow_, etc.

This could allow you to emphasize things in your comments WITHOUT RESORTING TO THE USE OF ALL CAPS.

Also, the forums use it, so why can't the projects?