Discuss Scratch

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

now, the scratch team removed the while loop,
but it works perfectly fine

I think they should add it back so that new scratchers can learn how to use this block!


Sorry if this post is not descriptive enough, tell me what else to add.


DONT YELL AT ME FOR THIS BEING WORKAROUNDABLE
I just suggested this because the ST already coded in the block. They just havent used it

Last edited by miniepicness (Jan. 28, 2017 01:43:48)

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

miniepicness wrote:

any replies?
Interesting…


I like making quality, challenging platformers! Please check them out! Don't like platformers? There's always art and other games!


ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 63%










If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

miniepicness wrote:

now, the scratch team removed the while loop,
but it works perfectly fine

I think they should add it back so that new scratchers can learn how to use this block!


Sorry if this post is not descriptive enough, tell me what else to add.
No support.
repeat until <not <>>

end
It got removed for a reason.

Also, with the click start button twice, just put a wait block before your scripts, and it works every time.

Last edited by duckboycool (Jan. 27, 2017 00:11:32)


I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just pop a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but I've also recently made a project called Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but there are two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

now, the scratch team removed the while loop,
but it works perfectly fine

I think they should add it back so that new scratchers can learn how to use this block!


Sorry if this post is not descriptive enough, tell me what else to add.
No support.
repeat until <not <>>

end
It got removed for a reason.

Also, with the click start button twice, just put a wait block before your scripts, and it works every time.
but it works perfectly fine and its so simple. they basically already added it
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

They removed it since it was useless, like forever if. Two block workarounds do not need to warrant a block.

The workarounds work fine and are so simple.

Last edited by duckboycool (Jan. 27, 2017 00:17:01)


I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just pop a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but I've also recently made a project called Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but there are two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

They removed it since it was useless, like forever if. Two block workarounds do not need to warrant a block.

The workarounds work fine and are so simple.
but they didnt remove it, they removed it from the block pick section
its still in the code
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

miniepicness wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

They removed it since it was useless, like forever if. Two block workarounds do not need to warrant a block.

The workarounds work fine and are so simple.
but they didnt remove it, they removed it from the block pick section
its still in the code
Your point, it's not worth the time to remove it. It just wasn't valuable enough.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just pop a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but I've also recently made a project called Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but there are two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

NO SUPPORT ITS WORKAROUNDABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um, I don't know who put that there. I don't have a need to constantly be pushing down on Caps Lock. But yes, the suggestion is workaroundable.
repeat until <not <condition :: grey>> // Functions the same as the suggestion
function :: grey
end
Frankly, the workaround isn't difficult… to most of us. Think about the New Scratchers, people. I doubt anyone knew how this workaround worked at least until they had been using the program for at least a month. Plus it would save time on everyone's part, especially when working with long and lag-inducing booleans. So I'll support.
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

The4thPixel wrote:

NO SUPPORT ITS WORKAROUNDABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um, I don't know who put that there. I don't have a need to constantly be pushing down on Caps Lock. But yes, the suggestion is workaroundable.
repeat until <not <condition :: grey>> // Functions the same as the suggestion
function :: grey
end
Frankly, the workaround isn't difficult… to most of us. Think about the New Scratchers, people. I doubt anyone knew how this workaround worked at least until they had been using the program for at least a month. Plus it would save time on everyone's part, especially when working with long and lag-inducing booleans. So I'll support.
I just suggested this because they already coded the block in, they just never used it.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

They removed it since it was useless, like forever if. Two block workarounds do not need to warrant a block.

The workarounds work fine and are so simple.
but they didnt remove it, they removed it from the block pick section
its still in the code
Your point, it's not worth the time to remove it. It just wasn't valuable enough.
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

MathlyCat wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

miniepicness wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

They removed it since it was useless, like forever if. Two block workarounds do not need to warrant a block.

The workarounds work fine and are so simple.
but they didnt remove it, they removed it from the block pick section
its still in the code
Your point, it's not worth the time to remove it. It just wasn't valuable enough.
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
thanks for helping. :)
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
The while block fits into this category for the workaround being extremely easy. Also, it means nothing to add it back in. Two blocks. We don't support the easier following topic for being too easy, this is the same.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just pop a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but I've also recently made a project called Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but there are two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
The while block fits into this category for the workaround being extremely easy. Also, it means nothing to add it back in. Two blocks. We don't support the easier following topic for being too easy, this is the same.
It does mean something to add it back in
It means not wasting code for the scratch editor
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
The while block fits into this category for the workaround being extremely easy. Also, it means nothing to add it back in. Two blocks. We don't support the easier following topic for being too easy, this is the same.
So let's remove
go to x: (0) y: (0)
because it has a two-block workaround.
set x to (0)
set y to (0)

_

I honestly agree with this idea because a lot of programming languages already have a while loop (like Java, Python, and Ruby ) and this would eliminate some confusion and people asking “What are those random red blocks I see in some projects?? And some of them work???????????”

Last edited by alexphan (Jan. 28, 2017 14:41:52)


Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

alexphan wrote:

duckboycool wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
The while block fits into this category for the workaround being extremely easy. Also, it means nothing to add it back in. Two blocks. We don't support the easier following topic for being too easy, this is the same.
So let's remove
go to x: (0) y: (0)
because it has a two-block workaround.
set x to (0)
set y to (0)

_

I honestly agree with this idea because a lot of programming languages already have a while loop (like Java, Python, and Ruby ) and this would eliminate some confusion and people asking “What are those random red blocks I see in some projects?? And some of them work???????????”
post removed cuz I want to

Last edited by miniepicness (Jan. 28, 2017 17:49:07)

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

duckboycool wrote:

MathlyCat wrote:

-snip-
1. While loops are in other languages while forever loops are not.
2. Forever If was removed for purpose of its workaround being blatantly easy. I don't see how and why the While block fits in this category, not only would it improve the change from scratch to other languages, it would make projects easier to make and add a new level of complexity.

Your only reasoning is ‘oh workaround and it’s gone so it doesn't deserve to be re-added'
The while block fits into this category for the workaround being extremely easy. Also, it means nothing to add it back in. Two blocks. We don't support the easier following topic for being too easy, this is the same.
Oh so we should remove:

(() - (0))
Because you can do:
(() + (-0))

Honestly, While Loop is perfectly fine to be added back in. Just because it has a workaround doesn't make it invalid.
It also provides a new way to run a project without having to use the Green Flag

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Put the while block in the block palette

MathlyCat wrote:

It also provides a new way to run a project without having to use the Green Flag
oh, didnt think of that, time to use it in a real project

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile