Discuss Scratch

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Sure, the name change would be a bit longer, but it would be a bit easier for other Scratchers to understand.

If you search “draft site:scratch.mit.edu/discuss” on Google, there are about 800 results and counting. This means that there are a few hundred (give or take a few) topics that ask what “draft” means.

Also, yes, you can figure out that “draft” means “work in progress” because it adds “work-in-progress” as a tag. But I feel that this minor text fix would clear up a lot of confusion, and plus, no one uses tags since they don't work in Explore.

Discuss your opinions on this, and I apologize if this is a duplicate. I searched it up and there was nothing so…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also remember to be constructive when posting, and give a reason in your opinion, even if you support like this idea.

Last edited by alexphan (Dec. 30, 2016 02:03:09)


Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Support, no real thorough explanation except for the fact that this avoids more confusion and prevents more questions.

Edit: Any way to prevent this from continuing on? change username+site:scratch.mit.edu/discuss

Last edited by Austinato (Dec. 29, 2016 18:30:45)


5794 posts | Signature banner done by ZLGames (thanks!)
dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

How'd you get the Google workaround to work? It doesn't work for me.

Please read my signature! It might explain some lingo that I used in my post or comment. However, not all of it shows, so you have to highlight the entire bottom of the post, from “Please read my signature!” to where it says report, and copy and paste in into a new sheet or tab or whatever.
I can't decide my signature between:
1. I'm a grammar stickler, and my pet peeve is when people use good as an adverb.
2. I have lots of [creativity]original ideas[/creativity]. [creativity]This[/creativity] is one of those ideas.
3. If I used this symbol: ⸮ in my comment, please look it up before doing anything else.
4. {Minot, North Dakota/Donald Trump parodies} “WE'RE GONNA BUILD A DAM AND MAKE CANADA PAY FOR IT!” “When Canada sends its water, they’re not sending their best drinking water…They’re bringing sleet. They’re bringing floods. The water's toxic.” (It's just a joke that I came up with.)
5. One should make his/her signature text small; that way (s)he can cram more text into the signature.
6. New [scratchblocks] idea each week! (Thanks to Bright-Idea (Read her signature.) for inspiration/the general idea.) Here's the archive:
Note: I stopped this because of signature character limits.
Week of 1-23-2017: Hat-caps tinyurl.com/htauyu2
Week of 1-16-2017: Country-colored scratchblocks tinyurl.com/z8lz6c4
Week of 1-9-2017: Drop-down booleans tinyurl.com/j5d3k6l
Week of 1-2-2017: Block->string inputs and more truth values tinyurl.com/jqu7avs

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

dvargasews wrote:

How'd you get the Google workaround to work? It doesn't work for me.
I changed the link so it's a LMGTFY, instead of an actual Google search.

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

bump

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

I like this idea. “Work in progress” is probably easier for children on Scratch to understand than “Draft” is. Support.
-Io-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

For google searches there's google.com/#q=<search> or the (not widely known and hidden) [google=<search>]<text>[/google] tag. LMGTFY can be a bit too passive aggressive

Support. This will reduce the amount of questions. However if you search with site:scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic instead, you can see there are actually around 300~ topics asking about it. That's still a fair amount though.

Last edited by -Io- (Dec. 31, 2016 19:06:30)


dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

25% support like this idea whatever people want to call it now.
This wouldn't make much of a difference. I'm sure most people know what Draft means, and the topics are asking what it does rather than what it means. But on the other hand, this wouldn't be bad to add.

Number 1000: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and decrease the number by 1, and add your username to the end of the number, but only if there wasn't a username already there! Comment on the user who you found this from's profile saying that you continued the experiment. Social experiment started by dude341, based on “generation social experiment” trend.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

I just checked Dictionary's “How many English speakers know this word” information on the word “draft”, and it said…
Most English speakers likely know this word
…Well, looks like the majority of people should know what this word means, meaning that it really doesn't have a need to be replaced. After all, “draft” is an easier way of saying and is synonymous with “work in progress”, and I'm pretty sure everyone who is told to do a “rough draft” in school know what it means.

miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Support, I would of asked this on the forums if I new you could.
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

bump

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Note that semantically the two phrases don't quite convey the same meaning; a work in progress is ongoing at the moment, whereas calling something a draft implies that it is in a fixed state.

“This is a draft of what the application will look like” means that this is a working model of the application, and we will develop the application afterwards based on it.

“This is a work in progress application” means that the application is currently being extended and is not static.

pack34
Scratcher
100+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

support, when i first started scratching i didnt know what the button did, and was actually worried to press it because i had no clue what it did… but then about a YEAR after scratching i found out what i meant because i saw somebody else ask on somebody's project

Play My best game!
Dot Phase

If you can animate click….
Right here!
Solmux
Scratcher
100+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

theonlygusti wrote:

Note that semantically the two phrases don't quite convey the same meaning; a work in progress is ongoing at the moment, whereas calling something a draft implies that it is in a fixed state.

“This is a draft of what the application will look like” means that this is a working model of the application, and we will develop the application afterwards based on it.

“This is a work in progress application” means that the application is currently being extended and is not static.

^^^^

v i s i t m y p r o f i l e o r e l s e y o u w i l l b e b a n i s h e d f r o m t h e l a n d o f e x i s t e n c e . f o l l o w t o o .


this is very sad. can we hit 50 likes pls?
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

No Support. This for mostly English users, the term they would use is draft.

“Draft” on Google gives “338,000,000” results, compared to “Work In Progress”, which gives “ 219,000,000” results, meaning Draft is a more used word and a more understandable word.

theonlygusti wrote:

Note that semantically the two phrases don't quite convey the same meaning; a work in progress is ongoing at the moment, whereas calling something a draft implies that it is in a fixed state.

“This is a draft of what the application will look like” means that this is a working model of the application, and we will develop the application afterwards based on it.

“This is a work in progress application” means that the application is currently being extended and is not static.
This is another reason, because that is just changing the definition of a project.

And there is no way to prove that more than 50% of users didn't know about a draft compared to a work in progress, even if you experienced that yourself.


Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Charles12310 wrote:

No Support. This for mostly English users, the term they would use is draft.

“Draft” on Google gives “338,000,000” results, compared to “Work In Progress”, which gives “ 219,000,000” results, meaning Draft is a more used word and a more understandable word.
While this somewhat proves the widespread use of “draft”, it doesn't measure it's ability to be understood well.

Charles12310 wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

“This is a draft of what the application will look like” means that this is a working model of the application, and we will develop the application afterwards based on it.

“This is a work in progress application” means that the application is currently being extended and is not static.
This is another reason, because that is just changing the definition of a project.
This is a valid point.

Charles12310 wrote:

And there is no way to prove that more than 50% of users didn't know about a draft compared to a work in progress, even if you experienced that yourself.
You argued that a specific word is better understood in the second paragraph of your post:

Charles12310 wrote:

“Draft” on Google gives “338,000,000” results, compared to “Work In Progress”, which gives “ 219,000,000” results, meaning Draft is a more used word and a more understandable word.

5794 posts | Signature banner done by ZLGames (thanks!)
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Semi support. It would stop some confusion, but I'm not sure entirely.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

Austinato wrote:

Charles12310 wrote:

No Support. This for mostly English users, the term they would use is draft.

“Draft” on Google gives “338,000,000” results, compared to “Work In Progress”, which gives “ 219,000,000” results, meaning Draft is a more used word and a more understandable word.
While this somewhat proves the widespread use of “draft”, it doesn't measure it's ability to be understood well.

Charles12310 wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

“This is a draft of what the application will look like” means that this is a working model of the application, and we will develop the application afterwards based on it.

“This is a work in progress application” means that the application is currently being extended and is not static.
This is another reason, because that is just changing the definition of a project.
This is a valid point.

Charles12310 wrote:

And there is no way to prove that more than 50% of users didn't know about a draft compared to a work in progress, even if you experienced that yourself.
You argued that a specific word is better understood in the second paragraph of your post:

Charles12310 wrote:

“Draft” on Google gives “338,000,000” results, compared to “Work In Progress”, which gives “ 219,000,000” results, meaning Draft is a more used word and a more understandable word.
1. Draft mostly refers to a stage before an official part of something. People have mostly learned that in school, such as essay drafts and essay final drafts.
2. Alright.
3. 50% of users as in Scratch. If it's understandable, why would anyone get confused?


Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
SmurphyOutfox
Scratcher
100+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

No support, a draft can mean either they're working on it or this is a test. You might not be working on it.

Call me Smurphy! Main account. Read my writing! Check out my projects, the link to my profile is just to the left.(Click the picture) Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything. If you want to reply please do it on my profile.

- Smurphy
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change "Draft" to "Work In Progress"

SmurphyOutfox wrote:

No support, a draft can mean either they're working on it or this is a test. You might not be working on it.
That's simply right. Draft is different than Work In Progress. Work In Progress is when someone is currently unfinished with something and is finishing it. Draft is a stage before final touches. It is already finished, but hasn't had any changes yet to it.


Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile