Discuss Scratch

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

jromagnoli wrote:

No support. The only good use I could think of for this is targeted advertising in the project outro.
I gave an example in the original post.

Please read my signature! It might explain some lingo that I used in my post or comment. However, not all of it shows, so you have to highlight the entire bottom of the post, from “Please read my signature!” to where it says report, and copy and paste in into a new sheet or tab or whatever.
I can't decide my signature between:
1. I'm a grammar stickler, and my pet peeve is when people use good as an adverb.
2. I have lots of [creativity]original ideas[/creativity]. [creativity]This[/creativity] is one of those ideas.
3. If I used this symbol: ⸮ in my comment, please look it up before doing anything else.
4. {Minot, North Dakota/Donald Trump parodies} “WE'RE GONNA BUILD A DAM AND MAKE CANADA PAY FOR IT!” “When Canada sends its water, they’re not sending their best drinking water…They’re bringing sleet. They’re bringing floods. The water's toxic.” (It's just a joke that I came up with.)
5. One should make his/her signature text small; that way (s)he can cram more text into the signature.
6. New [scratchblocks] idea each week! (Thanks to Bright-Idea (Read her signature.) for inspiration/the general idea.) Here's the archive:
Note: I stopped this because of signature character limits.
Week of 1-23-2017: Hat-caps tinyurl.com/htauyu2
Week of 1-16-2017: Country-colored scratchblocks tinyurl.com/z8lz6c4
Week of 1-9-2017: Drop-down booleans tinyurl.com/j5d3k6l
Week of 1-2-2017: Block->string inputs and more truth values tinyurl.com/jqu7avs

The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

jromagnoli wrote:

No support. The only good use I could think of for this is targeted advertising in the project outro.

dvargasews wrote:

However, as well as needing cloud lists in order for the project to work, some blocks that I needed to prevent trolling weren't there. These include
This example is quoted from the original post. Please read the whole post before adding your reply. Thanks!
dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

The4thPixel wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

However, as well as needing cloud lists in order for the project to work, some blocks that I needed to prevent trolling weren't there. These include
This example is quoted from the original post. Please read the whole post before adding your reply. Thanks!
Thanks for helping me deal with the comments.

(I'm sorry that this thank you is as overdue as it is.)

Please read my signature! It might explain some lingo that I used in my post or comment. However, not all of it shows, so you have to highlight the entire bottom of the post, from “Please read my signature!” to where it says report, and copy and paste in into a new sheet or tab or whatever.
1. I'm a grammar stickler, and my pet peeve is when people use good as an adverb.
2. I have lots of [creativity]original ideas[/creativity]. [creativity]This[/creativity] is one of those ideas.
3. If I used this symbol: ⸮ in my comment, please look it up before doing anything else.
4. {Minot, North Dakota/Donald Trump parodies} “WE'RE GONNA BUILD A DAM AND MAKE CANADA PAY FOR IT!” “When Canada sends its water, they’re not sending their best drinking water…They’re bringing sleet. They’re bringing floods. The water's toxic.” (It's just a joke that I came up with.)
5. One should make his/her signature text small; that way (s)he can cram more text into the signature.
6. New [scratchblocks] idea each week! (Thanks to Bright-Idea (Read her signature.) for inspiration/the general idea.) Here's the archive:
Week of 1-2-2017: Block->string inputs and more truth values tinyurl.com/jqu7avs

EDO2012
Scratcher
100+ posts

More username blocks

no support
[] follows [] :: sensing boolean

[] is a Username :: sensing boolean
This doesn't seem to really have much of a useful purpose.

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

EDO2012 wrote:

no support
[] follows [] :: sensing boolean

[] is a Username :: sensing boolean
This doesn't seem to really have much of a useful purpose.

VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

This is a nice idea, but it will be used for the wrong reasons if it is added.

For example…

when green flag clicked 
if <[(username)] follows [VideoGamerCanInvent]> then
broadcast [start game]
else
say [Sorry, but game cannot be accessed unless you follow VGCI. Go follow him today!]

I know this is probably not what you want to use them for but this is how some Scratchers would use them.

No Support

Last edited by VideoGamerCanInvent (Jan. 15, 2017 15:11:08)

woah, haven't been on here in a while
dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

VideoGamerCanInvent wrote:

This is a nice idea, but it will be used for the wrong reasons if it is added.

For example…

when green flag clicked 
if <[(username)] follows [VideoGamerCanInvent]> then
broadcast [start game]
else
say [Sorry, but game cannot be accessed unless you follow VGCI. Go follow him today!]

I know this is probably not what you want to use them for but this is how some Scratchers would use them.

No Support
People could do “See Inside,” and report the project or mess with the coding. Cloud variables also have an ability to be abused, and yet they've been added.

jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

dvargasews wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I can't come up with enough good reasons to support it. I wasn't talking about trolling at all, I was talking about targeting non-followers of people in the outros. Example:
if <(username) follows [jromagnoli]?> then
switch costume to [love, fave, remix v]
else
switch costume to [follow, love fave v]
end :: cend
See? Targeted advertising in a good way is what I meant, not trolling. So please don't say that I didn't read the OP well.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

_Elektron_
Scratcher
93 posts

More username blocks

Semi supporr it would be useful but would cause a lot of lag

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

_Elektron_ wrote:

Specifically, which block would cause the lag?

WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

dvargasews wrote:

_Elektron_ wrote:

Probably the list of all Scratch usernames… That one would be a computer killer, I bet.

jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

WolfCat67 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

_Elektron_ wrote:

Probably the list of all Scratch usernames… That one would be a computer killer, I bet.
I think it would be too long. That's over 15 million users. Isn't the list limit like 10 million?
EDIT: There is no limit apparently.

Last edited by jromagnoli (Jan. 16, 2017 17:17:07)

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

jromagnoli wrote:

WolfCat67 wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

_Elektron_ wrote:

I think it would be too long. That's over 15 million users. Isn't the list limit like 10 million?

dvargasews wrote:

Sigton wrote:

dvargasews wrote:

(list of all Scratch usernames :: list)
How many people use Scratch now; 15 million?
To generate a list of 15 million items it would take a long while, and to retrieve data it would also take ages. To use this block there would be huge performance implications.

Sigton

dvargasews wrote:

redglitter wrote:

The list blocks that list the followers…and the one that lists all the usernames on Scratch… there are so many people on Scratch, that Scratch would probably freeze with those. If you were saying it, the speechbubble would be bigger than the page. Sorry but I think :| 1/10 support.
It would more be used for things like
(item (random v) of [list of all Scratch accounts v] :: list)
or
(length of [list of all Scratch accounts v] :: list)//total number of Scratch accounts
, not what you mentioned, and there might be a feature to stop that script to prevent lagging, or prevent something like
say (list of all Scratch accounts :: list)
from ever being used in the first place by only making it accessible in
(item ( v) of [list v] :: list)
and
(length of [ v] :: list)
Please read my earlier comment.

dvargasews
Scratcher
500+ posts

More username blocks

Does anyone know of a workaround? Maybe Scratch 3.0 will contain something like the
(https://[]  ::operators reporter)
block found in Snap!

PowerBro135
Scratcher
68 posts

More username blocks

They used to have a
(user ID)
block. (if this helps)

if <you know someone who [doesn't v] like Blue's Clues::motion> then
[do not v] trust them::variables
end
They could be a robot or alien.
aidenawesome
Scratcher
18 posts

More username blocks

I support
(id of account []::sensing)
(name of account id()::sensing)
("About me" of account id()::sensing)
("What I'm working on" of account id()::sensing)
(Featured Project of account id()::sensing)
<account id() [exists v]::sensing> // exists, is a New Scratcher, is a Scratcher
(how many accounts that [exist v] are there::sensing) // exist, are New Scratchere, are Scratchers
Byron_Inc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

No support.
1. This can lead to PMing.
2. People can make hate when they found that the user isn't following Scratcher XXX.
3. This will clog up the data, as it's a lot info.

Planning on coming back soon.
Col_Cat228
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

This could be abused in a thousand ways
when green flag clicked
if <(username) follows [NAME OF PROJECT CREATOR]::sensing> then
broadcast [start v]
else
say [follow me to play]
end
And its way too similar to Social Action blocks, which is rejected

TOLORS wrote:

1.5 Social action reporter blocks
This block could be used to obtain the current number of loves, favorites, or views of the project. Similar blocks could return the number of loves or followers that the user or creator has. But, project creators can easily use these blocks to prevent Scratchers from playing unless the project is given enough loves, favorites, and the like. These blocks could also make people think that getting these social actions are important, or that Scratch is about fame. In reality, if a user presses the love button on a project, it should be because they enjoyed the project, not because they are trying to reach some sort of goal.

This suggestion extends to all social actions, including views, loves, favorites, remixes, comments, and followers.

“Everything in the universe is either an apple or not an apple”
-a smart guy
XretroperX
Scratcher
100+ posts

More username blocks

Byron_Inc wrote:

No support.
1. This can lead to PMing.
2. People can make hate when they found that the user isn't following Scratcher XXX.
3. This will clog up the data, as it's a lot info.

Col_Cat228 wrote:

This could be abused in a thousand ways
when green flag clicked
if <(username) follows [NAME OF PROJECT CREATOR]::sensing> then
broadcast [start v]
else
say [follow me to play]
end
And its way too similar to Social Action blocks, which is rejected.

TOLORS wrote:

This block could be used to obtain the current number of loves, favorites, or views of the project. Similar blocks could return the number of loves or followers that the user or creator has. But, project creators can easily use these blocks to prevent Scratchers from playing unless the project is given enough loves, favorites, and the like. These blocks could also make people think that getting these social actions are important, or that Scratch is about fame. In reality, if a user presses the love button on a project, it should be because they enjoyed the project, not because they are trying to reach some sort of goal.

This suggestion extends to all social actions, including views, loves, favorites, remixes, comments, and followers.

Y'all are about two years late to the party, in case y'all didn't know.

No support because of computer and server limitations.

Last edited by XretroperX (July 30, 2020 08:18:26)

Hey. This is a signature.
I'm semi-active ig

I don't know what to put here.
-InsanityPlays-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

More username blocks

<[] is following []?::sensing>

TOLORS wrote:

<[] is an existing username?::sensing>
No support. Why would this be useful?
(all existing usernames::sensing)
This would clog out the servers. No support.
(all people [] following::sensing)

TOLORS wrote:

(all people following []::sensing)

TOLORS wrote:

Welcome to my signature!
I've moved accounts. Anyway, did this post help you? Go follow me on my new account!
Today's Links: Scratch 4.0 Leaked Information, Astronomical - The Third, The Forum Community
follow me on scratch or i am sad, subscribe to my YouTube channel or bad luck for the rest of your life
My Final Shoutout: hekcer because in computer science class, he is the hekcerman
-InsanityPlays- Fan Studio! (closed) | Astronomical - The Third | Best of -InsanityPlays- 2020
my channel, my website, ctrl+shift+down for more STUFF

2020's Advent Collection:

more STUFF