Discuss Scratch

20btheilmanngohr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Art tab in explore

I'm not entirely sure where I'd put this, so I put it here.

Anyway, I'm just wondering why Scratch thought it'd be a good idea to implement something like this. I may be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of programming would go into projects like those. The only thing I could think of would be just a way to look through different types of pictures. for example:
when [space v] key pressed
next costume
In my opinion, Scratch is about coding, not about who makes the best art (if you want to draw, I'd recommend going to DeviantArt).

You can visit my profile here.
 
when green flag clicked ::category operators
display [link v] [http://scratch.mit.edu/users/20btheilmanngohr/] ::extension
display [text v] [20btheilmanngohr] ::extension
display [text v] [always striving for excellence!] ::extension

footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

20btheilmanngohr wrote:

I'm not entirely sure where I'd put this, so I put it here.

Anyway, I'm just wondering why Scratch thought it'd be a good idea to implement something like this. I may be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of programming would go into projects like those. The only thing I could think of would be just a way to look through different types of pictures. for example:
when [space v] key pressed
next costume
In my opinion, Scratch is about coding, not about who makes the best art (if you want to draw, I'd recommend going to DeviantArt).

You are partially right. Yes, Scratch is about coding, but why are you prejudiced against certain forms of coding?

In other words, why is someone who codes a method of displaying images any less worthy than someone who codes a method of displaying a mathematical graph?

Also, art and coding can intersect. For example, I created a project that does animation using the pen. I didn't draw anything myself, but I had to show Scratch how to draw everything.


SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

20btheilmanngohr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Art tab in explore

_x- wrote:

This is art. It is also coding.
This is true. Don't really have much to say against it. It'd be nice if it were faster, though.

footsocktoe wrote:

You are partially right. Yes, Scratch is about coding, but why are you prejudiced against certain forms of coding?

In other words, why is someone who codes a method of displaying images any less worthy than someone who codes a method of displaying a mathematical graph?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by those two examples. But I guess, if this is about projects, I'm referring to projects where people just make a project containing images made on an external program, and the only code they have in it is just to play some techno music and flip through images.

footsocktoe wrote:

Also, art and coding can intersect. For example, I created a project that does animation using the pen. I didn't draw anything myself, but I had to show Scratch how to draw everything.

While I do believe that there are some projects that use pen to create art, the project you stated was an animation (Which could probably be also classified under art, but assuming that the art section was removed, then it could go under the animations tab).

You can visit my profile here.
 
when green flag clicked ::category operators
display [link v] [http://scratch.mit.edu/users/20btheilmanngohr/] ::extension
display [text v] [20btheilmanngohr] ::extension
display [text v] [always striving for excellence!] ::extension

footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

20btheilmanngohr wrote:

I'm referring to projects where people just make a project containing images made on an external program, and the only code they have in it is just to play some techno music and flip through images.

Yes, if it just flips through images that would be simple coding. What if the image transitions were more elaborate? One image fades into another. One image zooms down to nothing while the next image fades in. One flips over and over as it spins away while new image spins into place?

The display of images can be as complicated as you like. It can require tons of coding.

However the art tab serves another purpose. People want to draw art for their games. The art tag has tutorials about how to draw.
People want sprites for their games that aren't Scratch sprites. The art tab has projects that are collections of sprites.

Trust me, it's a useful tab.


SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

footsocktoe wrote:

You are partially right. Yes, Scratch is about coding, but why are you prejudiced against certain forms of coding?
20btheilmanngohr is not being prejudiced; they are being objective. The truth is that some projects are programming intensive, but others don't involve as much programming. What CS concepts are demonstrated in a project?

footsocktoe wrote:

In other words, why is someone who codes a method of displaying images any less worthy than someone who codes a method of displaying a mathematical graph?

Also, art and coding can intersect. For example, I created a project that does animation using the pen. I didn't draw anything myself, but I had to show Scratch how to draw everything.
Footsocktoe, you are generalizing all art, even though different kinds exist. Recursive, pen-drawn fractals and nonphotorealistic rendering projects involve both art and substantial programming, but others, such as slideshow art dump projects, involve minimal programming. The problem is not the presence of art but the absence of programming. Do not consider every art project to be the same.

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

20btheilmanngohr wrote:

I'm not entirely sure where I'd put this, so I put it here.

Anyway, I'm just wondering why Scratch thought it'd be a good idea to implement something like this. I may be wrong, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of programming would go into projects like those. The only thing I could think of would be just a way to look through different types of pictures. for example:
when [space v] key pressed
next costume
In my opinion, Scratch is about coding, not about who makes the best art (if you want to draw, I'd recommend going to DeviantArt).

Scratch welcomes everyone and one of the post important parts about Scratch is being creative. So it's open to everyone. And by the way, most projects tagged with “art” actually have some programming.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

Scratch isn't only about coding, it's also about creativity. Being creative means you use your imagination and put it as a work of art (art includes movies, video games, and writing, not just paintings and drawings). And Scratch welcomes everyone, even those who are more interested in developing art rather than games and animations.

More info: https://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Art_Projects#Opposition

I used to publish art on this site before turning to DeviantArt, because I wasn't 13 back then.

“You know, the best thing about video games is you never have to worry about what you're supposed to do. In Super Mario, you rescue the princess. In Sonic the Hedgehog, you defeat Doctor Robotnik. In Zelda, you recover the Triforces. Everything's cut and dried. The goal is always clear. Life, on the other hand… nothing's ever clear.” - Dennis Ouyang (Level Up)
In Soviet Russia, video games play you.











It's been over 20 years since Sonic the Hedgehog first burst on the scene in a blur of blue and red. Since that dazzling debut, Sonic has dabbled in all sorts of genres-racing, snowboarding, pinball-but Sonic Mania goes back to where it all started, grabbing rings and racing round loop-the-loops. It has sprite-based graphics, which means it's pixelated like the original Sonic games were, and classic levels like Green Hill Zone return with new twists throughout. Best of all, it has the old crew back together again to stop Robotnik. Along with Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice and a brand new 3-D game [Sonic Forces], there's never a better time to be a Sonic fan.

- Game On! 2018 (pg. 122)
My secret forum weapon (seizure warning)
Hmmm…
Hmmm…
Shadow is not amused
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

Scratch isn't only about coding, it's also about creativity. Being creative means you use your imagination and put it as a work of art (art includes movies, video games, and writing, not just paintings and drawings). And Scratch welcomes everyone, even those who are more interested in developing art rather than games and animations.

More info: https://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Art_Projects#Opposition

I used to publish art on this site before turning to DeviantArt, because I wasn't 13 back then.

That is perfectly right, Princess Panda Lover.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
20btheilmanngohr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Art tab in explore

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

More info: https://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Art_Projects#Opposition
Thanks for the link. Also explains why Chibi-Matoran would agree with my opinion (I'm referring to this. Somehow this thread ended up in the article too. )

Considering that Chibi-Matoran already made a topic on art though, wouldn't this be a duplicate?
Also, here's an excerpt of his, for those interested.

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

Many Scratchers use the site to post their art, and one referred to Scratch as an “art community.” The “Top Remixed” section is filled with coloring contests. The majority of art projects tend to involve Warriors, a popular novel series written by a group of authors under then pseudonym “Erin Hunter.” Scratchers even create accounts with usernames based on characters from the series! Many users view Scratch as a “DeviantArt Jr.”

You can visit my profile here.
 
when green flag clicked ::category operators
display [link v] [http://scratch.mit.edu/users/20btheilmanngohr/] ::extension
display [text v] [20btheilmanngohr] ::extension
display [text v] [always striving for excellence!] ::extension

footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Art tab in explore

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

Footsocktoe, you are generalizing all art, even though different kinds exist. Recursive, pen-drawn fractals and nonphotorealistic rendering projects involve both art and substantial programming, but others, such as slideshow art dump projects, involve minimal programming. Do not consider every art project to be the same.

The problem is not the presence of art but the absence of programming.


It's not a problem for me because this is a learning site. Therefore you need simple projects as well as complex projects. Beginners might not understand a complex project, but they can understand a simple project and build on it.

A program that only displays images is an ideal way to learn basics about sprites, backdrops, and blocks like HIDE and SHOW.


SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile