Discuss Scratch

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

ateesdalejr wrote:

Here it is. It seems to be the same overall idea as your suggestion so yeah.
That's not by MathlyCat.

Last edited by Jonathan50 (Oct. 28, 2016 21:43:16)

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

tux_fan wrote:

I thought it would be cool to add Git to scratch! Imagine what collabs could do with it! What do you guys think git for scratch?

WHAT. IN. THE. WORLD. IS. GIT.

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

nickeljorn wrote:

tux_fan wrote:

I thought it would be cool to add Git to scratch! Imagine what collabs could do with it! What do you guys think git for scratch?

Please read the rest of the topic. Git is explained and discussed. If you have already done so, and are still confused, please detail exactly what you aren't sure about, rather than posting a vague reply in all-caps.
tux_fan
Scratcher
46 posts

Git for scratch

nickeljorn wrote:

tux_fan wrote:

Ok git is a version control system that allows large scale collaboration. Very large scale.
Also just google it for more of te technical details about t.

#!/usr/bin/ env python3
#kids don't try this at home.
#computer may melt.
while True:
print ('Scratch On')
What they would say about scratch:
Hillary: Lets make scratch the way it should be!
Trump: Lets make scratch great again!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/126760994/
pixelFlow
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

Support

What's up Scratchers, I'm @pixelFlow, and I love Scratch. The community, the projects, the idea. It's all amazing. It's so cool.

ヅ // This is Flo - She protects my signature from the evil, evil kumquats.
ateesdalejr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

Jonathan50 wrote:

ateesdalejr wrote:

Here it is. It seems to be the same overall idea as your suggestion so yeah.
That's not by MathlyCat.
I can't seem to find their suggestion

ztianyang
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

I support this suggestion. This enables collaboration without having the moderation problem. Also, bump this topic.

console.log("Hello world!");
print("Hello world!")
System.out.println("Hello world!");

paws48
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

I'd like it to be added, but I'm not sure that they would. I'm also not sure it's completely necessary. Overall, no support.
RazyRabbit
Scratcher
35 posts

Git for scratch

bump
misaPuding
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Support! This would be really useful for collaboration!

If you own a shop, think about joining the USS or SCA!

IMPORTANT: This siggy is getting interrupted because I lost my glasses. (Credit to @Chiroyce for the interruption´s BBCode)
Please set a status at Ocular by clicking the below image, to make @Jeffalo happy! #OcularStatusesTo5k
Interruption BBCode:
Please set a status at [url=https://ocular.jeffalo.net/?utm_campaign=Scratch%20signature%20link%20in%20<yourusername>%27s%20signature]Ocular[/url] by clicking the below image, to make [url=https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Jeffalo]@Jeffalo[/url] happy! #OcularStatusesTo2k :D
[url=https://ocular.jeffalo.net/?utm_campaign=Scratch%20signature%20banner%20in%20<yourusername>%27s%20signature][img]https://assets.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/.%2E/6c7975af8323a8ffbc74313ce7072f1e.png[/img][/url]
Kumquat slept in thy signature on Scratch. Kumquat openest thy place under your post
ScolderCreations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Support, I have used it before, and it's pretty good.

-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Bump!

Nothing here.
ScolderCreations
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

-EmeraldThunder- wrote:

Bump!

skymover1239
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Support.

Literately 70% of companies that involve software use Git. The others probably use some other version control. Also, if this was implemented, it would have to be like GitHub Desktop, not command-line git.

John 3:16 wrote:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life
First time a moderator got ninjaed??
500 Posts
Current Mainline projects
AquaCSS - A CSS framework.
Ink - An editor that does, lots of things.
gilbert_given_189
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

If it's optional, then I support. While a bit gimmicky, I think it's pretty cool to have git included to Scratch.
Although, I'm not sure how you will count a commit. Every save, including autosaves? Let the person choose?

If you see a line above this text, it means that below this text is my signature.
This place is just a memory to me, I may return occasionally but I'm busy.
I guess I'm an ATer now.

I think I may have seasoned my posts a bit too much.

Colored Pencil is supposed to color the siggy, but Scratch says it's too big.

There is nothing here…

don don pan pan
dondo pan pan
Myst--
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

No support. I use git and I don't think it would be a good fit for scratch. Scratch has emphasized many times that they want to keep the coding interface simple and introducing things like commits, branches, and repositories would make a lot of young scratchers confused.

-+-+-+-ʜᴇʟʟᴏ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ!-+-+-+-
.⋆。⋆☂˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆✧。.♥⋆。˚⋆。⋆.
+*:ꔫ:*﹤(⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)゚˚₊⋆· ͟͟͞͞➳❥
.༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧༺♥༻.
-+-+-ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ɴɪᴄᴇ ᴅᴀʏ!-+-+-
Jackson49_test
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

Bump
bananasteddy
Scratcher
45 posts

Git for scratch

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.
It might also make the servers full with all the project data.
tinysootypaws
Scratcher
100+ posts

Git for scratch

gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 wrote:

nickeljorn wrote:

tux_fan wrote:

Please read the rest of the topic. Git is explained and discussed. If you have already done so, and are still confused, please detail exactly what you aren't sure about, rather than posting a vague reply in all-caps.

I'm scared now.

If any of you guys don't know who gdpr is,, they're pretty famous for redefining Scratch rules

soot • she/her
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Myst-- wrote:

No support. I use git and I don't think it would be a good fit for scratch. Scratch has emphasized many times that they want to keep the coding interface simple and introducing things like commits, branches, and repositories would make a lot of young scratchers confused.

Scratch projects are basically repositories.

I semi-support if the version control system was easier for all audiences. If we simplify it down to commits, that would still keep it helpful. I think adding commit history would definitely be a killer feature of the VCS.

bananasteddy wrote:

It might also make the servers full with all the project data.

They should just Gzip compress the data then not hard