Discuss Scratch

tux_fan
Scratcher
46 posts

Git for scratch

I thought it would be cool to add Git to scratch! Imagine what collabs could do with it! What do you guys think git for scratch?

#!/usr/bin/ env python3
#kids don't try this at home.
#computer may melt.
while True:
print ('Scratch On')
What they would say about scratch:
Hillary: Lets make scratch the way it should be!
Trump: Lets make scratch great again!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/126760994/
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I don't know what git is. Could you explain using complete and well structured sentences?

台灣翠青
太平洋西南海邊,美麗島台灣翠青。
早前受外邦統治,建國今在出頭天。
共和國憲法的基礎,四族群平等相協助。
人類文化世界和平,國民向前貢獻才能。
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

What is git?

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
Mrcomputer1
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Support

DownsGameClub wrote:

I don't know what git is. Could you explain using complete and well structured sentences?

Digital_Gaming wrote:

What is git?
I think they are talking about https://git-scm.com/. Git is a popular version control system.

My Profile / OS Projects / My User Page / My Talk Page / My website /
——————–
Progress bar to 1000+ Posts - Image not updated lots (Progress last updated: I forget to update this :P)

——————–
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0 (1809), Firefox 69.0b15, No flash version detected
——————–
My Scratch Extensions——–If you like this post then give me an internet!——–Sharp Scratch Mod
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I do like this idea. However, due to moderation concerns, this suggestion won't be added.

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.

台灣翠青
太平洋西南海邊,美麗島台灣翠青。
早前受外邦統治,建國今在出頭天。
共和國憲法的基礎,四族群平等相協助。
人類文化世界和平,國民向前貢獻才能。
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

I do like this idea. However, due to moderation concerns, this suggestion won't be added.

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.
I don't see how it would would raise moderation issues. Git is a way to manage your progress when building a project.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
tux_fan
Scratcher
46 posts

Git for scratch

Git is a Version Control System or VCS for short. To understand it let me first define each term simply.

Repository - Where the project and changes to it are kept.
Commit - A change to a project that is saved on the repository for everyone else working on the project. Only developers with commit privileges cam commit.
Stage - This is where you can make changes to the project before actually committing it.
Push - If you don't have commit privileges you can push. This means you submit your code / revision and then those with privileges can choose to either commit your change or reject.

So here is a real life example:
I am not on the scratch team but I want to make scratch it better. First I download the git repository. Secondly I make modifications to the scratch code then when they are ready I will push my changes. Then someone on the scratch team see's my code and then sees that my code was great and commits it or maybe I had added malware and it gets rejected. Little ha ha.

Git also does more then allow you to collaborate more efficiently It also allows version control as I mentioned earlier. This means lets say one of the commits has a bug. I can then backtrack to a previous commit and edit that commit.

Any questions?

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Git-Basics

#!/usr/bin/ env python3
#kids don't try this at home.
#computer may melt.
while True:
print ('Scratch On')
What they would say about scratch:
Hillary: Lets make scratch the way it should be!
Trump: Lets make scratch great again!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/126760994/
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Now that I know what git is I still have to say no support due to moderation concerns.

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation concerns here.

Last edited by PrincessPandaLover (Oct. 19, 2016 23:34:18)



(Silvispher drawing has decided to take a temporary stay in my signature. I'm not betraying Silvee and Tanglispher or anything, it just wanted a stay and I was generous.)






It's been over 20 years since Sonic the Hedgehog first burst on the scene in a blur of blue and red. Since that dazzling debut, Sonic has dabbled in all sorts of genres-racing, snowboarding, pinball-but Sonic Mania goes back to where it all started, grabbing rings and racing round loop-the-loops. It has sprite-based graphics, which means it's pixelated like the original Sonic games were, and classic levels like Green Hill Zone return with new twists throughout. Best of all, it has the old crew back together again to stop Robotnik. Along with Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice and a brand new 3-D game [Sonic Forces], there's never a better time to be a Sonic fan.

- Game On! 2018 (pg. 122)
My secret forum weapon (seizure warning)
Hmmm…
Hmmm…
Hmmm…
Shadow is not amused
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation and all that hard explanation.
How is moderation a problem? Also, Github is basically web-based Git.

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation and all that hard explanation.
How is moderation a problem? Also, Github is basically web-based Git.
I meant, moderation concerns.


(Silvispher drawing has decided to take a temporary stay in my signature. I'm not betraying Silvee and Tanglispher or anything, it just wanted a stay and I was generous.)






It's been over 20 years since Sonic the Hedgehog first burst on the scene in a blur of blue and red. Since that dazzling debut, Sonic has dabbled in all sorts of genres-racing, snowboarding, pinball-but Sonic Mania goes back to where it all started, grabbing rings and racing round loop-the-loops. It has sprite-based graphics, which means it's pixelated like the original Sonic games were, and classic levels like Green Hill Zone return with new twists throughout. Best of all, it has the old crew back together again to stop Robotnik. Along with Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice and a brand new 3-D game [Sonic Forces], there's never a better time to be a Sonic fan.

- Game On! 2018 (pg. 122)
My secret forum weapon (seizure warning)
Hmmm…
Hmmm…
Hmmm…
Shadow is not amused
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation and all that hard explanation.
How is moderation a problem? Also, Github is basically web-based Git.
I meant, moderation concerns.
Could you please explain how moderation would be a problem? I'm guessing that you don't understand the suggestion.

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
Chibi-Matoran
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

PrincessPandaLover's updated post wrote:

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation concerns here.
You still haven't explained why Git would cause difficulties for the moderators.

If you see this signature while scrolling, you have been visited by ʎ++ haskal. Lazy evaluation, monads, function purity, lambdas, currying, partial application, algebraic data types, pattern matching, and typeclasses will come to you, but only if you comment, “Thanks, ʎ++ haskal” on my profile.

Cassian && ||
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.

cute cute cute cute cute

rip in pizza ATs
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.
I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails. Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.

Also, is Git compatible with Scratch Blocks? The demonstration video about version control seems to support text, not blocks.

台灣翠青
太平洋西南海邊,美麗島台灣翠青。
早前受外邦統治,建國今在出頭天。
共和國憲法的基礎,四族群平等相協助。
人類文化世界和平,國民向前貢獻才能。
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

It seems like everyone here is brigading this situation and echoing what one person said and using that as an excuse to not even try to comprehend it and uselessly dismiss it. Git is not a community platform, it is simply a way to track changes on a project you're working on. It does not include ANYTHING that would need to be moderated by the Scratch team in any significant way.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

birdoftheday wrote:

It seems like everyone here is brigading this situation and echoing what one person said and using that as an excuse to not even try to comprehend it and uselessly dismiss it. Git is not a community platform, it is simply a way to track changes on a project you're working on. It does not include ANYTHING that would need to be moderated by the Scratch team in any significant way.
Commit messages.

That's about it. And those can be reported like everything else..

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.
I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails. Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.

Also, is Git compatible with Scratch Blocks? The demonstration video about version control seems to support text, not blocks.
But scratch blocks are stored as text!

considered harmful
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails.
There is no evidence that the ST has trouble with contact us over reports. Please don't argue with misleading information.

Downsgameclub wrote:

Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.
So? Private projects inherently aren't a trouble for moderation because as they aren't visible, they aren't able to hurt any scratchers. This information doesn't relate to your argument.

cute cute cute cute cute

rip in pizza ATs
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Your argument is automatically disqualified if you use made up facts to prove the other side wrong.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile