Discuss Scratch

tux_fan
Scratcher
46 posts

Git for scratch

I thought it would be cool to add Git to scratch! Imagine what collabs could do with it! What do you guys think git for scratch?

#!/usr/bin/ env python3
#kids don't try this at home.
#computer may melt.
while True:
print ('Scratch On')
What they would say about scratch:
Hillary: Lets make scratch the way it should be!
Trump: Lets make scratch great again!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/126760994/
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I don't know what git is. Could you explain using complete and well structured sentences?

–DGC
Scratcher since Aug. 2015 +++ Fire Alarm Enthusiast +++ College student studying fire protection engineering
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

What is git?

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
Mrcomputer1
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Support

DownsGameClub wrote:

I don't know what git is. Could you explain using complete and well structured sentences?

Digital_Gaming wrote:

What is git?
I think they are talking about https://git-scm.com/. Git is a popular version control system.

My Profile / My User Page / My Talk Page
——————–
Progress bar to 1000+ Posts - Image might not be up to date

——————–
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0 (Windows 11 - 22H2), Firefox 122.0b4
——————–
My ScratchX Extensions——–If you like this post, give me an internet!——–Sharp Scratch Mod
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I do like this idea. However, due to moderation concerns, this suggestion won't be added.

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.

–DGC
Scratcher since Aug. 2015 +++ Fire Alarm Enthusiast +++ College student studying fire protection engineering
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

I do like this idea. However, due to moderation concerns, this suggestion won't be added.

Paddle2See wrote:

I agree that it isn't something we can support right now, because of the moderation and technical issues, however I don't agree with the statement that it teaches bad collaboration techniques. Just because it isn't the way something is done now, or by most people, isn't always a good reason to reject it.

I do think it should be added to the rejection list because the moderation and technical issues are quite substantial and I don't think we should spend time discussing it until we have more resources available to address those.
I don't see how it would would raise moderation issues. Git is a way to manage your progress when building a project.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
tux_fan
Scratcher
46 posts

Git for scratch

Git is a Version Control System or VCS for short. To understand it let me first define each term simply.

Repository - Where the project and changes to it are kept.
Commit - A change to a project that is saved on the repository for everyone else working on the project. Only developers with commit privileges cam commit.
Stage - This is where you can make changes to the project before actually committing it.
Push - If you don't have commit privileges you can push. This means you submit your code / revision and then those with privileges can choose to either commit your change or reject.

So here is a real life example:
I am not on the scratch team but I want to make scratch it better. First I download the git repository. Secondly I make modifications to the scratch code then when they are ready I will push my changes. Then someone on the scratch team see's my code and then sees that my code was great and commits it or maybe I had added malware and it gets rejected. Little ha ha.

Git also does more then allow you to collaborate more efficiently It also allows version control as I mentioned earlier. This means lets say one of the commits has a bug. I can then backtrack to a previous commit and edit that commit.

Any questions?

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Git-Basics

#!/usr/bin/ env python3
#kids don't try this at home.
#computer may melt.
while True:
print ('Scratch On')
What they would say about scratch:
Hillary: Lets make scratch the way it should be!
Trump: Lets make scratch great again!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/126760994/
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Now that I know what git is I still have to say no support due to moderation concerns.

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

I thought you were referring to Github at first.

Sorry, but no support due to moderation concerns here.

Last edited by PrincessPandaLover (Oct. 19, 2016 23:34:18)

gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

Sorry, but no support due to moderation and all that hard explanation.
How is moderation a problem? Also, Github is basically web-based Git.
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

I meant, moderation concerns.
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

I meant, moderation concerns.
Could you please explain how moderation would be a problem? I'm guessing that you don't understand the suggestion.
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

PrincessPandaLover's updated post wrote:

Sorry, but no support due to moderation concerns here.
You still haven't explained why Git would cause difficulties for the moderators.
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

Version control (let's please stop saying Git) would actually make moderation easier. Here's why:

Suppose some person A makes a project for insulting a person B (for example, the project has “B is stupid and they suck”). Then, as soon as it gets popular and someone reports it, person A changes the project to remove traces of the insults. In this case, the ST wouldn't have any evidence that person A did anything bad.

Now suppose Scratch had version control. Then, the version of the project with the insults would still be stored on Scratch's servers, since version control keeps track of all versions. Here, the ST would still have the old version, so they'd have the evidence for an alert.

Now please explain why version control would make moderation more difficult. I don't see how it would.
I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails. Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.

Also, is Git compatible with Scratch Blocks? The demonstration video about version control seems to support text, not blocks.

–DGC
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

It seems like everyone here is brigading this situation and echoing what one person said and using that as an excuse to not even try to comprehend it and uselessly dismiss it. Git is not a community platform, it is simply a way to track changes on a project you're working on. It does not include ANYTHING that would need to be moderated by the Scratch team in any significant way.

Am I the only person who likes 3.0 better than 2.0, or do the people who do just not talk about it?
liam48D
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

birdoftheday wrote:

It seems like everyone here is brigading this situation and echoing what one person said and using that as an excuse to not even try to comprehend it and uselessly dismiss it. Git is not a community platform, it is simply a way to track changes on a project you're working on. It does not include ANYTHING that would need to be moderated by the Scratch team in any significant way.
Commit messages.

That's about it. And those can be reported like everything else..

202e-202e-202e-202e-202e UNI-CODE~~~~~
WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails. Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.

Also, is Git compatible with Scratch Blocks? The demonstration video about version control seems to support text, not blocks.
But scratch blocks are stored as text!

considered harmful
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Git for scratch

DownsGameClub wrote:

I can see how that is helpful. However, the only way I can see reports happening is only through the “Contact Us” page, not through a report button. This makes moderation a lot harder, since the Scratch Team depends on the report button as its primary source of reports, not through emails.
There is no evidence that the ST has trouble with contact us over reports. Please don't argue with misleading information.

Downsgameclub wrote:

Also, this is a collaboration; how does a private project get known? It doesn't. It only gets known through a few members of the collaboration.
So? Private projects inherently aren't a trouble for moderation because as they aren't visible, they aren't able to hurt any scratchers. This information doesn't relate to your argument.

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
birdoftheday
Scratcher
500+ posts

Git for scratch

Your argument is automatically disqualified if you use made up facts to prove the other side wrong.