Discuss Scratch

Prof_Red
Scratcher
500+ posts

Make a 'go to center' button for the costumes tab

MathlyCat wrote:

go to x: (0) y: (0)
I dont think that's what he meant, I think he means setting the costume's center is hard and there should be a button that automatically puts it in the center.

`_`// This is Pixel, he protects me from evil kumquats

Did you read the WHOLE post, if not then go back and read it again.

If you don't support, why not?

Be sure to check out games and animations at my profile!

I've moved to @RelatableTV
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OK, we are jumping around on what we are talking about. I suggest we wait for an OP reply to specify in detail what he or she is trying to convey here. Most of us are getting confused, so it would be nice to see what the opening poster can restate his suggestion in other words.

Last edited by DownsGameClub (Oct. 9, 2016 18:27:31)

–DGC
Scratcher since Aug. 2015 +++ Fire Alarm Enthusiast +++ College student studying fire protection engineering
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Do you mean a set costume center button?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Alberknyis wrote:

This is me right now.

Yes, I had to let you know.

What dave4681 means by “centering”:
  1. Find the farthest point to the left of the costume that isn't transparent (this means the leftest point that has paint over it). Draw a vertical line there.
  2. Find the farthest point to the right of the costume that isn't transparent (this means the rightest point that has paint over it). Draw a vertical line there.
  3. Find the vertical line that is exactly between those two previous lines (The vertical line that is equidistant from the previous lines you just made). You have now found the xcenter of the costume. Congrats.
  4. Find the farthest point up the costume that isn't transparent. Draw a horizontal line there.
  5. Find the farthest point down the costume that isn't transparent. Draw a horizontal line there.
  6. Find the horizontal line that is exactly between those two previous lines (The horizontal line that is equidistant from the previous lines you just made). You have now found the ycenter of the costume. Congrats.
  7. Find where the xcenter and the ycenter lines meet. Congrats, you just found the center of the costume.
  8. Move the “center” of the costume to the center of the paint editor. Congrats, you just centered the costume.

This to me would be a pretty convenient tool to me. It's kind of nice when I can draw some random asymmetrical image that's impossible to center myself (e.g. image of an explosion) and know I don't have to do that job anymore.
Perfect example of what I am trying to say

Last edited by dave4681 (Oct. 10, 2016 11:45:23)

gamebeater187
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. This would make sprites easier to create without zooming in a ton and trying to hope your sprite is in the center.

My 1000th post!
I haven't changed my logo since my 96th post on 2014. Now at 1000 posts, I changed my logo!
Sada4907
Scratcher
7 posts

There is a little dot like thing which is basically the middle…
However, how is Scratch supposed to know what exactly you want in the center?
Answer: If you go onto Bitmap mode then you select the item which you want to center then you would press the center when/if it arrives to get what you selected to the exact center…
However if you didn't select properly then… It may not be correct…
PumpkinBear111
Scratcher
68 posts

This would be a great feature.

I support.

hey. i learned how to make a signiture… cool. lol.
ummmm…
yea…
SUBSCRIBE to PumpkinBear111 on YouTube
do it.
have you done it yet?

Giga404
Scratcher
100+ posts

dave4681 wrote:

1) I never said remove the costume centre button
It wasn't removed by your request. Once Scratch 3.0 was released, they removed it immediately.
Nobody has mentioned Scratch 2.0. As a workaround, you can install it into your computer/PC, and, once installed, go to the costumes editor, and, see that + button? Click on it and your sprite will be centered immediately!

NOTE: If you try to edit your sprite after it is centered, it will automatically become anti-centered.
45afc4td
Scratcher
100+ posts

Alberknyis wrote:

This is me right now.

Yes, I had to let you know.

What dave4681 means by “centering”:
  1. Find the farthest point to the left of the costume that isn't transparent (this means the leftest point that has paint over it). Draw a vertical line there.
  2. Find the farthest point to the right of the costume that isn't transparent (this means the rightest point that has paint over it). Draw a vertical line there.
  3. Find the vertical line that is exactly between those two previous lines (The vertical line that is equidistant from the previous lines you just made). You have now found the xcenter of the costume. Congrats.
  4. Find the farthest point up the costume that isn't transparent. Draw a horizontal line there.
  5. Find the farthest point down the costume that isn't transparent. Draw a horizontal line there.
  6. Find the horizontal line that is exactly between those two previous lines (The horizontal line that is equidistant from the previous lines you just made). You have now found the ycenter of the costume. Congrats.
  7. Find where the xcenter and the ycenter lines meet. Congrats, you just found the center of the costume.
  8. Move the “center” of the costume to the center of the paint editor. Congrats, you just centered the costume.

This to me would be a pretty convenient tool to me. It's kind of nice when I can draw some random asymmetrical image that's impossible to center myself (e.g. image of an explosion) and know I don't have to do that job anymore.
That's the intersection of the diagonals of the bounding rectangle.
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Why are people still responding to a 3 year old topic? Just asking.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dave4681 wrote:

Why are people still responding to a 3 year old topic? Just asking.
We still allow discussion on a suggestion that's old, as long as the discussions are still relevant. Based on what your suggestion is, I think it's still relevant…right?

It's better to discuss your specific suggestion here rather than having someone create a new topic about it. This way all the discussion can remain in one place and the forums stay a bit more organized.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Giga404
Scratcher
100+ posts

That. Is. Already. In. Scratch. 3.0. For. REALS!!!
Skywarslord
Scratcher
100+ posts

Giga404 wrote:

That. Is. Already. In. Scratch. 3.0. For. REALS!!!

This was made 4 years before it was added. Please dont nercopost. Especially without any constuctive meaning.

Grand Strategyphile
check out my most recent garbage (WARNING: by clicking on that link you agree to be subjected to a poorly scripted, badly drawn, bug-riddled mess which barley passes for a project)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/891951035/

say [dont expect me to be on after 3:35 PM lols] 
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Well, it got implemented.

It may have only taken 40 months, but we finally got something like it.

I'll close the topic now.