Discuss Scratch

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

It's an easy workaround.

So? So are broadcasts! Just use Boolean statements, on or off, in variables! Yet, broadcasts are some of the most useful features in Scratch. Don't you use them often?

Don't forget the luxury of having clones. Just make lots of sprites if you want to put in extra work.

Better yet, just learn Java and create your own programming language. Scratch itself is workaroundable. Is there a point? Nope, but it's workaroundable!

Come on! Can't you give a better answer than that? Constructive ideas molded the website in the first place!

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Can't you give a better answer than that? Constructive ideas molded the website in the first place!
Well, on the converse, the pi block was rejected for having an easy workaround.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

Can't you give a better answer than that? Constructive ideas molded the website in the first place!

Incorrect. It was too specific to be useful to most Scratchers. Read the reason it is rejected in TOLORS.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

Incorrect. It was too specific to be useful to most Scratchers. Read the reason it is rejected in TOLORS.
I don't think that is true, as 1.) Paddle2See's post says little about how it would be too specific and 2.) that is completely false, as it is very crucial in a lot of basic math.

Last edited by fdreerf (Aug. 23, 2020 08:54:40)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
HighFlyer222
Scratcher
100+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

So, I think literally nobody in this topic achieved making a good model, so here:
if <...> then
else if <...> then {

}::control
end
So, why do you need this when you have this:
if <...> then 
else
if <...> then
end
end
it literally reads: “if blah blah then blah blah else if blah blah then blah blah”

What if you use it outside of if? Scratch is designed for there to not be syntax errors. That’s why set to () has a dropdown instead of a string input.

No support

Suggestions forum is love, suggestions forum is life
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Here comes a mockup for Scratch 3.0.

Anyways, here's the constructive part.

What if instead of using a plus or minus, it automatically turns into an elif block if you make a nested if else?

Last edited by PkmnQ (Aug. 23, 2020 09:02:56)

This is an account that exists.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

HighFlyer222 wrote:

So, I think literally nobody in this topic achieved making a good model,
and you just added yourself on that list.
if <> {
} else if <>{
} else if <>{
} else if <>{
} else{
} + ::control

Last edited by fdreerf (Aug. 23, 2020 09:03:10)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

HighFlyer222 wrote:

So, I think literally nobody in this topic achieved making a good model, so here:
if <...> then
else if <...> then {

}::control
end
<snip>
No, that's not what it is. He is suggesting that you can extend an if else block to create an elif, like this:
if <> then {

} elif <> then {

} else {

} :: control

This is an account that exists.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

I don't think that is true, as 1.) Paddle2See's post says little about how it would be too specific and 2.) that is completely false, as it is very crucial in a lot of basic math.

Did you read TOLORS by any chance, like I rcommended? It literally says that it is extensively used in math, but not used much on Scratch.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

Did you read TOLORS by any chance, like I rcommended? It literally says that it is extensively used in math, but not used much on Scratch.
I would recommend taking that with a grain of salt, because unless someone counted the number of times pi is used in all Scratch projects, it is all of speculation and estimation.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

I would recommend taking that with a grain of salt, because unless someone counted the number of times pi is used in all Scratch projects, it is all of speculation and estimation.

This wasn't exactly included in TOLORS, but don't forget that it is literally infinite. Couldn't you just:

when green flag clicked
repeat (pi ::operators)
change [varable v] by (pi ::operators)
end
Congratulations! A dead jigsaw puzzle piece is screaming on your monitor, “Aw, snap!” because your computer crashed. Imagine how much damage an infinite number can do.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Congratulations! A dead jigsaw puzzle piece is screaming on your monitor, “Aw, snap!” because your computer crashed. Imagine how much damage an infinite number can do.
Well, that would be impossible due to Javascript floating numbers, and pi is not infinite, pi is infinitely long. So is the sqrt of 2, and e, both of which can be replicated in Scratch,
([sqrt v] of (2))
([e ^ v] of (1))
Because of the aforementioned floating numbers, they are only approximations.

Last edited by fdreerf (Aug. 23, 2020 09:28:42)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

fdreerf wrote:

This wasn't exactly included in TOLORS, but don't forget that it is literally infinite. Couldn't you just:

when green flag clicked
repeat (pi ::operators)
change [varable v] by (pi ::operators)
end
You can get the same results by doing:
repeat ((1) / (0))
change [var v] by ((1) / (0))
end
so should we remove the division block?

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Support! I was going to suggest this! then I found this topic, sorry if I'm necroposting IDK if i'm necroposting
here's my idea:
if <> then {

}elif <> then {
}(+ :: control) :: control
this could be duplicated and you should have a limit before you can add an “else”

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
cooldude-222
Scratcher
100+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

if<>{
}else if<> {
}else{
} (+ ::#AA8800) (- ::#AA8800) ::control
Made a block plu and minus things are buttons and can be used to add more / remove elifs
code is

[scratchblocks]
if<>{
}else if<> {
}else{
} (+ ::#AA8800) (- ::#AA8800) ::control

[/scratchblocks]

Last edited by cooldude-222 (Sept. 24, 2020 19:19:00)

Have a nice day!
cooldude-222
Scratcher
100+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

Bump

Have a nice day!
scratchmaster295
Scratcher
500+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

no support, this is workaroundable:

if <> then 
if statement :: #777777

else
if <> then
elif statement :: #777777

else
else statement :: #777777
end
end

Last edited by scratchmaster295 (Sept. 24, 2020 19:21:58)

-Scratchmaster295
She/They
XayCraft360
Scratcher
100+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

scratchmaster295 wrote:

if <> then 
if statement

else
if <> then
elif statement

else
else statement
end
end

Exactly why does a workaround matter? Most other blocks have workarounds

<Insert copy of NilsTheBest's OLD uncreative copy of adsuri's uncreative copy of Wahsp's uncreative copy of -ShadowOfTheFuture's- uncreative signature here>

I AM NO LONGER ON SCRATCH
scratchmaster295
Scratcher
500+ posts

Elif (else-if) block

XayCraft360 wrote:

scratchmaster295 wrote:

if <> then 
if statement

else
if <> then