Discuss Scratch

Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Alow people to paste in photos

BUMP

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
dave4681
Scratcher
500+ posts

Digital_Gaming wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

No support. It might allow inappropriate images.
In this case it's just like if you see an inappropriate project. Report it. Also maybe Scratch could ban certain sites if they feel the need to.
The goal isn't to stop it when it starts, it's to stop it happening at all
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ZozaTech wrote:

No support, they're there for a reason, scratch's discussion forum text box is used with html and so all the proceeding images must be posted within HTML to keep the system working.
Not really.. the BBCode engine already converts to HTML without a problem. That is why
[img]URL[/img]
which is not HTML works.

DownsGameClub wrote:

Part of the reason why they don't do this is the forum format. See, Scratch runs on something called, “BBCode”, and the forum engine isn't designed for images. In fact, forums are actually made for text, not for images. Therefore, you need a link to see a file. But how? That is where the links come in.

Sorry, but no support. The forums aren't designed to run this way.
Data URLs would work though… This is when the URL (link to the image) is a “fake” link that actually doesn't point to a website, but instead is the image but encoded as text.

Gobblesmack wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

Part of the reason why they don't do this is the forum format. See, Scratch runs on something called, “BBCode”, and the forum engine isn't designed for images. In fact, forums are actually made for text, not for images. Therefore, you need a link to see a file. But how? That is where the links come in.

Now, Scratch uses a whitelist of approved websites. The reason why they don't let others allow from a wide range of websites is that the internet is filled with inappropriate images. Using this method can help cut down on the bad images.

Sorry, but no support. The forums aren't designed to run this way.
Hi!
Please avoid quoting other people without adding to the discussion

Digital_Gaming wrote:

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

No support, we do not want the forums to crash.
Scratch could prevent the forums from crashing by putting an image size restriction.
I just don't think that is good enough to save memory.. maybe the images could expire after 1 month or so?

In fact, this is just difficult to do.. at the moment posts are written in a box that doesn't allow text in it. If we let you paste in images.. the whole text editor would have to undergo a few changes, and Scratch would have to store so much extra data. When there is absolutely no need to do it. As @Sigton said, the alternative is quick and simple. And is cheaper for Scratch.

Anyway, you can use Scratch as an image host! You can put the image as a background in the project, and the data gets stored on the server. If you know what you are doing, you can find a link to the place where Scratch stores it, and put it in the forums, ad free!
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dave4681 wrote:

Digital_Gaming wrote:

Ziggy741 wrote:

In this case it's just like if you see an inappropriate project. Report it. Also maybe Scratch could ban certain sites if they feel the need to.
The goal isn't to stop it when it starts, it's to stop it happening at all
But you can already post inapropitiate images using the image hosts. This suggestion just makes Scratch easier to use. Which last time I checked is a good thing, unless you like overly complicated, which if you do is fine. Not trying to be mean

Last edited by Digital_Gaming (Oct. 19, 2016 23:30:09)

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Please think about Scratch's servers. They have limited memory, and they don't need even more of it being used up. As I said, you can use some API tricks to get the image from a project
dinogirl112
Scratcher
78 posts

No support; It would be near-impossible to code

(Foo)
Meet Foo. She is my trained attack kumquat block that will find and destroy any evil kumquats.

;
TheMonsterOfTheDeep
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dinogirl112 wrote:

Source?

This is not at all particularly difficult to code…

my latest extension: 2d vector math
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

dinogirl112 wrote:

Source?

Pasting images into a textarea is hard. Maybe if the text area was a contenteditable div, but then you get too many other features (which can be filtered out by the server, I guess..)
TheMonsterOfTheDeep
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jokebookservice1 wrote:

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

dinogirl112 wrote:

Source?

Pasting images into a textarea is hard. Maybe if the text area was a contenteditable div, but then you get too many other features (which can be filtered out by the server, I guess..)
Oh - but I thought this simply meant uploading images on the Scratch server, not necessarily previewing them in your post…

my latest extension: 2d vector math
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
KawaiiCatGirl-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ziggy741 wrote:

Well, the sites can still show bad images, even though this makes it easier to post bad things the original can also have bad things

I have moved to m1mikyu, please comment there if you need assistance!
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
KawaiiCatGirl-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Digital_Gaming wrote:

bump
you don't need to bump that fast mate

I have moved to m1mikyu, please comment there if you need assistance!
Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sigton wrote:

Cubeupload is simple; it takes seconds to upload the image, then seconds more to add it to a post. I recommend just doing that

Sigton

Well, Cubeupload could be a problem if you're using a school computer, because on those, about 90% of the internet is blocked by some system. Or, at least, on my school computer about 90% of the internet is blocked.

To Digital_Gaming's suggestion, I support.
julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

No support as per everyone above.

Wanna help make the longest Scratch movie ever? Go here - https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/235554/

When you [have no idea v] :: events hat
Be all like [ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯] :: motion
Feel [proud v] of [yourself v] :: operators cap
Sorry if I get annoying with bumps. It's probably the kumquats messing up my brain.