Discuss Scratch

karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Hey, everybody! Today, I want to share with you a new(ish) way to port Scratch projects: apps! There are other methods to doing this, but I will share with you the easiest one.

Requirements

Scratch account
Github account
Adobe Sign-in key

Instructions

Make a Scratch project that can be controlled without any keys (mouse only!)
Copy the project ID
Fork https://github.com/karatebuilderboy/Scratch-to-Phonegap and plug the ID into Index.html
Go to config.xml and enter an ID. App id's are usually domain names written backwards. EX: edu.mit.scratch
Change out the other fields in config.xml
If you want, you can specify an icon in config.xml using http://docs.phonegap.com/phonegap-build/configuring/icons-and-splash/
Login to Phonegap Build and import the Github repo
Enable hydration
Build the app. Android and Windows phone will work, but iOS requires a key
Done! You can now submit the file to whatever app store you want (after testing)!

If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks!

Here's an example repo: https://github.com/karatebuilderboy/Launcher for the app https://www.amazon.com/Ecodium-Launcher/dp/B01J7ZJAA4/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1469794344&sr=1-1&keywords=launcher+easy
gigawert
Scratcher
24 posts

Apps with Scratch

This is one of the greatest porting options on Scratch I have ever seen in my 2+ years around. Thanks!

gigawert here. This is my new account but I am a somewhat experienced Scratcher and have been around since 2013. I remember when Scratch reached just 5,000,000 projects!
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Cool stuff! Loving my “Better Pen App” app.

Oh no! Low battery. Sorry OCD peeps.
karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

gigawert wrote:

This is one of the greatest porting options on Scratch I have ever seen in my 2+ years around. Thanks!
You're welcome! Have you made any apps yet?

PullJosh wrote:

Cool! Some of my apps lag a fair bit. Is yours lagging a lot?
gigawert
Scratcher
24 posts

Apps with Scratch

karatebuilderboy wrote:

gigawert wrote:

You're welcome! Have you made any apps yet?
No, but soon.

gigawert here. This is my new account but I am a somewhat experienced Scratcher and have been around since 2013. I remember when Scratch reached just 5,000,000 projects!
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Apps with Scratch

karatebuilderboy wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

No, but the project I used is extremely simple. I'd imagine the majority of the lag comes from phonegap.
karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

PullJosh wrote:

karatebuilderboy wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

No, but the project I used is extremely simple. I'd imagine the majority of the lag comes from phonegap.
Yeah. Or the fact that Phosphorus has to fetch the project from its Scratch page…
karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Bump
CreeperCraft64
Scratcher
38 posts

Apps with Scratch

Could you tell me some other ways to make an app out of a Scratch game? Or if you don't want to could you tell me where I could find out?

This is a signature.

This is another signature.
Icey29
Scratcher
500+ posts

Apps with Scratch

CreeperCraft64 wrote:

Could you tell me some other ways to make an app out of a Scratch game? Or if you don't want to could you tell me where I could find out?
This is a little bit broad
CreeperCraft64
Scratcher
38 posts

Apps with Scratch

Icey29 wrote:

CreeperCraft64 wrote:

This is a little bit broad
A Scratch game that could be used on mobile devices. Mainly IOS.

This is a signature.

-SuperScratch-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Hey! (Sorry to self advertise) I made my own one that doesnent need a lot of stuff! You can check it out here.

Y R U READING THIS POST???!!!
ITS MADE BY -SUPERSCRATCH-!
(That took forever tho)
I like gummy bears
CreeperCraft64
Scratcher
38 posts

Apps with Scratch

-SuperScratch- wrote:

Hey! (Sorry to self advertise) I made my own one that doesnent need a lot of stuff! You can check it out here.
That isn't a way to make a game into an app, though.

This is a signature.

karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Wooh! Just published a tutorial on this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/116055504/
CreeperCraft64
Scratcher
38 posts

Apps with Scratch

Can you play the app without wifi? Is the coding really inside of the app? I wondered this because you have to include the project ID in the code.

This is a signature.

karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

CreeperCraft64 wrote:

Can you play the app without wifi? Is the coding really inside of the app? I wondered this because you have to include the project ID in the code.
You need wifi to initially start the app. I've been working on a new version where you take the source code of the page the project is on and putting it in github, so that Phosphorus can reference that file instead of the website, which is coming along nicely. Also, Hydra, the auto-updater, requires wifi.
CreeperCraft64
Scratcher
38 posts

Apps with Scratch

karatebuilderboy wrote:

CreeperCraft64 wrote:

You need wifi to initially start the app. I've been working on a new version where you take the source code of the page the project is on and putting it in github, so that Phosphorus can reference that file instead of the website, which is coming along nicely. Also, Hydra, the auto-updater, requires wifi.

So that means you just need to connect to wifi once to play it, and then you can play it offline whenever you want?

This is a signature.

happyland440
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Apps with Scratch

Nice!

Primary PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 (EVGA FTW Hybrid), 16GB Trident Z RGB DDR4, ASUS X470-I, Corsair 280X, running at 1920x1080 144hz

Laptop: Intel Core i7 4700MQ, NVIDIA Geforce GT 740M, 12GB of ram, 1600x900 resolution, running Ubuntu 16.10 in VirtualBox 4096MB RAM.
karatebuilderboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Apps with Scratch

happyland440 wrote:

Nice!
Thanks!
happyland440
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Apps with Scratch

I might try this, I need to make a game that will actually work in Phosphorus.

Primary PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 (EVGA FTW Hybrid), 16GB Trident Z RGB DDR4, ASUS X470-I, Corsair 280X, running at 1920x1080 144hz

Laptop: Intel Core i7 4700MQ, NVIDIA Geforce GT 740M, 12GB of ram, 1600x900 resolution, running Ubuntu 16.10 in VirtualBox 4096MB RAM.