Sigton wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

Mine does xD

Banana
Your what does…?

Sigton
phone number

Banana

Very inactive user who has now become a maker.
If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

phone number

Banana
But the space can be removed and the phone number will still work.

Sigton

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

Sigton wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

phone number

Banana
But the space can be removed and the phone number will still work.

Sigton

Banana

If you reply to this post it would be greatly appreciated if you could comment the link to your post on my profile!!!
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

Mrcomputer1 wrote:

Semi Support
Keep the old links but allow the user to set a custom link for the project
EDIT: Custom link example: scratch.mit.edu/p/(custom link) or /p/(user)/(custom link)
EDIT 2: Also allow for studios and users (/s/(custom link) and /u/(custom link))
EDIT 3: Allow the user to change the custom link whenever they want
I fully support the above suggestion (^^), or the OP's suggestion.
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

dude341 wrote:

No support, URL's cannot handle certain special characters. It would also break lots of links.
Instead, we should make the phone number censor not search for phone numbers if they are in Scratch URL's.

Support for this, although I don't know why project URLs would trigger the censor - I though it only blocked 10 digit numbers, and project URLs have only just reached 9 digits.

Having custom project URLs sound like a good idea though, not just to solve the censor issues but also to make projects easier to find. The URL should include the creator's name to prevent namesnipes and so you can actually choose something meaningful instead of having a load of ‘this URL is already taken’ messages.

Last edited by stickfiregames (May 31, 2016 21:00:26)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Abstract-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

No Support. i like changing the url number to find random projects. ><
Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

Abstract- wrote:

haha
How many 404's do you get?

Sigton

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

^^

Abstract- wrote:

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

bomp

banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

bump

Banana

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

Preemptive bump since I just linked to this from another topic.

I still support as per my post a few above this one, but with a few more things to add:
  • URLs should only be able to be set once since they should be permanent. There should be a warning about this - maybe it would only prompt you to enter a URL once you share the project, so you actually have some idea of what its name should be.
  • Since projects won't have a name from the moment they are created, each project will have a numeric URL as well. These will still work as redirects once it is given a name, but links to the project will use its named URL.

Last edited by stickfiregames (Feb. 25, 2017 20:37:09)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

;
miniepicness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

JakeCarroll wrote:

What if the user had 2 projects with the same name?
So, No Support
you can't have that. say I had a project called “hi” - if I made another project called “hi”, it would turn into “hi-2” in reality.

Banana

EDIT: #ninja'd by sheep_maker - whoops. xD

EDIT 2: Also, if there were two projects with the same name on the same profile, I wouldn't be suggesting this
you can put spaces after project names to block it
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

stickfiregames wrote:

Preemptive bump since I just linked to this from another topic.

I still support as per my post a few above this one, but with a few more things to add:
  • URLs should only be able to be set once since they should be permanent. There should be a warning about this - maybe it would only prompt you to enter a URL once you share the project, so you actually have some idea of what its name should be.
  • Since projects won't have a name from the moment they are created, each project will have a numeric URL as well. These will still work as redirects once it is given a name, but links to the project will use its named URL.
1. Nah. Though like changing usernames, the url should change when the name changes

2. They do. It's called untitled

Banana

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

1. Nah. Though like changing usernames, the url should change when the name changes
That will break old links and possibly cause confusion - like the reason changing usernames is rejected.

;
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

That will break old links and possibly cause confusion - like the reason changing usernames is rejected.
BUT not changing old ones.

Banana

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

Banana
So it would create a new URL each time you rename the project, but still keep the old one as a redirect?

;
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

Banana
So it would create a new URL each time you rename the project, but still keep the old one as a redirect?
No.

Banana

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

-snip-

Banana
No.

Banana
What then? I don't support being able to get rid of a past URL for a project - there's a reason why Scratch still supports the old 1.4-style URLs with the creator's name in them.

Last edited by stickfiregames (Feb. 25, 2017 21:00:54)

;
banana439monkey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

-snip-

Banana
No.

Banana
What then? I don't support being able to get rid of a past URL for a project - there's a reason why Scratch still supports the old 1.4-style URLs with the creator's name in them.
The old projects have the same url, but newer ones have the new applied one.

Banana

stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change project links

banana439monkey wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

banana439monkey wrote:

-snip-
No.

Banana
The old projects have the same url, but newer ones have the new applied one.

Banana
That's not what I meant. I was talking about the old URLs of projects that use named URLs. If you always base the URL on the current title, then any existing link to a project will break if the project is ever renamed.

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the link wasn't automatically based on the title, but ideally links should be permanent as long as the page exists.

;