Discuss Scratch

alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

I KNOW THIS IS A DUPLICATE. I AM SIMPLY ADDING ONTO THE SUGGESTION. Also, read the entirety of this post before posting.

Isn't it annoying to make a comment and suddenly realize that you made a typo? Editing comments will make sure you can save yourself from these situations.

Reasons why this should be implemented
1. You can edit forum posts, so why not comments?
2. Saving your life from typos, obviously.
3. If you wanted to add more to your comment, you can add it to the same comment, rather than replying.

Some things you might post
1. But alexphan this can cause trolling - I know, people can edit mean comments to make them seem nice. So my proposal is to let the project/studio creator and the ST (and possibly all of your followers…?) see both versions of the comment. Everyone can also see the “last edited” text on the bottom.

2. But alexphan what if people edit multiple times? That would be a pain to go through - So then a person can edit their comment only once.

3. But alexphan why can't you just reply - You could do that, but what if you were a New Scratcher? You would have to wait some time before posting a comment. And nobody likes that.

4. But alexphan this is a duplicate - READ THE TOP OF THE POST! xD

Additions by other Scratchers

TheAwesomeMaster wrote:

Someone should have to wait a certain amount of time between edits (perhaps 30-60 seconds).

Sheep_maker wrote:

Maybe
- make this only available to the Scratcher rank
- disable editting after reloading/leaving the page

theonlygusti wrote:

…maybe like stackexchange comments? There is a 5-minute window to edit the comment, and it can only be done if the page has not refreshed. Also, only the most recent comment you posted can be edited.

Supporters list
I will understand if you do not support this idea, but please explain why you have this opinion, instead of just doing this:
no support

Supporters:
TheAwesomeMaster
QuantumNetwork ?
Zekrom01
Sheep_maker

Semi-supporters:
None at the moment

25%s:
None at the moment

Non-supporters:
None at the moment

Last edited by alexphan (April 23, 2016 15:39:27)


Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
QuantumNetwork
Scratcher
48 posts

Editing Comments

First, great idea! I think that if you edited something it should be stroked through and the word that you meant should be places in green next to it so everyone knows its a suggestion - that way offensive comments can still be reported.

Inspired by my supercomputer Bob
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

QuantumNetwork wrote:

if you edited something it should be stroked through and the word that you meant should be places in green next to it
True, but what if you were adding or removing something?

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
TheAwesomeMaster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

Support. But instead, for point #2, someone should have to wait a certain amount of time between edits (perhaps 30-60 seconds).

Hello!
I'm TheAwesomeMaster: a middle school violist (someone who plays the viola), coder, artist, and writer! I also enjoy role-playing and helping out in the community.
| Profile | Wiki Page | Scratch String Orchestra | ᎪρᏂεℓ༏Ꮻ₪~ A Space Odyssey by Novakitty |
If you are reading this, comment “I have superpowers.” on my profile.
^._.^::control //This is Kallie. She is a certified siggy protector. She protects my siggy from kumquats.
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

TheAwesomeMaster wrote:

Support. But instead, for point #2, someone should have to wait a certain amount of time between edits (perhaps 30-60 seconds).
Good point. Maybe it can be 60 seconds for New Scratchers and 30 seconds for Scratchers.

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

bump

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

Support
Maybe
- make this only available to the Scratcher rank
- disable editting after reloading/leaving the page

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
Post count: more than 6
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

Remember when the forum blocks made booleans look like normal round blocks?
(key [space v] pressed?)
ipushpeople
Scratcher
100+ posts

Editing Comments

no support

-D


i'm on soundcloud and genius now
DownsGameClub
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

alexphan wrote:

3. But alexphan why can't you just reply - You could do that, but what if you were a New Scratcher? You would have to wait some time before posting a comment. And nobody likes that.
Uh… New Scratchers can't change their posts anyway.

Semi-support. Please clarify on that statement.
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

Duplicate of all of these:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/59950/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/33645/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/118328/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/173004/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/128500/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/110610/

and more

alexphan wrote:

4. But alexphan this is a duplicate - READ THE TOP OF THE POST! xD

Read the top of the post, where you yourself acknowledge that this is a duplicate?

Honestly I don't see what extra ideas you've added here that haven't already been mentioned elsewhere.

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

Sheep_maker wrote:

Support
Maybe
- make this only available to the Scratcher rank
- disable editing after reloading/leaving the page
These are both good ideas - maybe like stackexchange comments? There is a 5-minute window to edit the comment, and it can only be done if the page has not refreshed. Also, only the most recent comment you posted can be edited.

Last edited by theonlygusti (April 23, 2016 12:14:59)


alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

ipushpeople wrote:

no support
Did you not read the first post?

theonlygusti wrote:

Duplicate of all of these:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/59950/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/33645/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/118328/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/173004/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/128500/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/110610/

and more

Looking at all of these topics, they are either dead or closed.

Sheep_maker wrote:

Support
Maybe
- make this only available to the Scratcher rank
- disable editting after reloading/leaving the page

theonlygusti wrote:

These are both good ideas - maybe like stackexchange comments? There is a 5-minute window to edit the comment, and it can only be done if the page has not refreshed. Also, only the most recent comment you posted can be edited.

Good ideas. I'll add them onto my first post.

Last edited by alexphan (April 23, 2016 13:20:36)


Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
QuantumNetwork
Scratcher
48 posts

Editing Comments

It is vital to make sure that the comments still show so that you can not type something offensive and then change it without being reported.

Inspired by my supercomputer Bob
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

alexphan wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

Duplicate of all of these:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/59950/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/33645/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/118328/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/173004/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/128500/
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/110610/

and more

Looking at all of these topics, they are either dead or closed.

Actually, most of them are still open, and the only ones which are closed are closed for the same reason: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/52378/?page=1#post-440041 - the fact that the ST rejected the idea themselves.

Zekrom01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

Support. I have an idea too:
User420: hi everyone viudfhgsreoisdilghsdgfisd

Last Edited on 4/20/69 at 13:37:00. Click here to see original comment.
Report Edited Comment – Report Original Comment
Clicking "Click here to see original comment." will show the original comment below. You can see and report either version of the comment.

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: Despacito 2 (Feat: Lil Pump) ───────────⚪────── ◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►⠀⠀ ⠀
theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

alexphan wrote:

3. But alexphan why can't you just reply - You could do that, but what if you were a New Scratcher? You would have to wait some time before posting a comment. And nobody likes that.

-snip-

alexphan wrote:

Someone should have to wait a certain amount of time between edits (perhaps 30-60 seconds).

Erm… makes sense.

Last edited by theonlygusti (April 23, 2016 15:36:11)


alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

theonlygusti wrote:

Actually, most of them are still open, and the only ones which are closed are closed for the same reason: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/52378/?page=1#post-440041 - the fact that the ST rejected the idea themselves.

Paddle2See wrote:

The ability to edit comments, while a nice convenience, would be a real problem for our moderators, as shown in the example that TheHockeyist constructed. In order to moderate an edited comment, you would have to be able to access it's entire edit history - and also how all the replies / surrounding comments looked at any time (to see the remarks in context).

So that's why you can edit only once, and the ST can just see both versions of the comment.
This is a good point. I can imagine a situation where a user posts a mean comment, and edits the comment, and before the edit, another user could post “That was mean!” which can cause confusion. Taking this into play, maybe we could make it so we have to wait for some time before editing a reply. Or we can see if it was replied before/after the edit itself.

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

alexphan wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

all the replies / surrounding comments looked at any time (to see the remarks in context).
This is a good point. I can imagine a situation where a user posts a mean comment, and edits the comment, and before the edit, another user could post “That was mean!” which can cause confusion. Taking this into play, maybe we could make it so we have to wait for some time before editing a reply. Or we can see if it was replied before/after the edit itself.
Alternatively, it can be made so that one cannot edit a reply/reply to an editted comment.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
Post count: more than 6
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

Remember when the forum blocks made booleans look like normal round blocks?
(key [space v] pressed?)
Harakou
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Editing Comments

alexphan wrote:

theonlygusti wrote:

Actually, most of them are still open, and the only ones which are closed are closed for the same reason: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/52378/?page=1#post-440041 - the fact that the ST rejected the idea themselves.

Paddle2See wrote:

The ability to edit comments, while a nice convenience, would be a real problem for our moderators, as shown in the example that TheHockeyist constructed. In order to moderate an edited comment, you would have to be able to access it's entire edit history - and also how all the replies / surrounding comments looked at any time (to see the remarks in context).

So that's why you can edit only once, and the ST can just see both versions of the comment.
This is a good point. I can imagine a situation where a user posts a mean comment, and edits the comment, and before the edit, another user could post “That was mean!” which can cause confusion. Taking this into play, maybe we could make it so we have to wait for some time before editing a reply. Or we can see if it was replied before/after the edit itself.
Unfortunately this doesn't make it all that much easier on us, becuase it still requires piecing together context from potentially huge comment chains. It makes the job of actually implementing it all the harder, too.

Comments simply aren't designed as longer thoughts that might need to be edited over time, like forum posts, so the actual need for editing seems to be limited to fixing mistakes and abusing the system. You're limited in space as it is, so adding thoughts via another comment is common as it is - and this reflects what comments are intended to be. If you really are concerned about typos, try reviewing your comment before posting.

Last edited by Harakou (April 23, 2016 16:42:19)




;

RIP Cubeupload

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile