Discuss Scratch

nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

I am teaching a class using scratch at a local NonProfit we created for teaching kids electronics/robotics/and programing.

We were going to use the regular offline Scratch. However all of the monitors are 1080 and when the kids would run the game full screen you end up with this old school 4:3 aspect ratio. I wanted something 16:9 so yesterday I went out here, found the great tut on modding scratch, and converted the stage setup from 480x360 to 1280x720. Also added in some menu options to change the stage layout from small, med and full size (different from the full screen). I initially went all the way to 1920x1080 but then had some issues with some other things so backed it down.

Full screen mode is still doing some kind of upscaling but I don't have the time to try and sort it now as we have class monday.

Also went through and removed the icons for the library since it's empty anyway and I can't find any way to put in custom sprites into the library (found where to add and change categories but gave up after a couple hours as it looks like you need a JSON data files). Would be so much easier with some sort of directory pull but oh well.

Also dumped in some fonts that we will be using in the class so the menu buttons (sprites) options I had manually converted to sprites for them in photoshop from the fonts aren't needed. They can now use the cool fonts on their own from within Scratch.

I read through a lot of back and forth on increasing resolution on scratch and I couldn't understand why I couldn't find anyone who had done it since it was a pretty simple adjustment (lot's of file changes but nothing crazy).

You can take a look at the final swf file for it here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8VD2SJxIyv-emVsZ21sdjVadE0/view?usp=sharing
Just open it with flash player to check it out.
Let me know if you all know how to add in assets (sprites) to the library and what you think about the larger stage setup being 16:9


edited because I can't seem to get the link to actually be linkable.

Last edited by nedens (Feb. 13, 2016 19:36:54)

__init__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Nice, great work. I might use this
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Thanks!

__init__ wrote:

Nice, great work. I might use this
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

About 6 hours or so. But that includes me attempting the 1080 and also learning how scratch is put together.

I did find a bug and will post the updated fix for it tomorrow. I can honestly say I don't understand why stage sizes are not just global variables. They have hard coded width and height of the stage and then half width and half height (actual values not just a calculation off of width and height variables) all over the place. Made changing things a bit of a nightmare. My guess is they never intended to change from the current size.

Implementing the dropdown menu to change the stage layout size (not the actual resolution of the stage but the size on the screen like the small stage option) was needed so if you are on a smaller resolution monitor you can still use this. On a larger resolution it absolutely rocks (even at 1080 monitor).

Higher res backgrounds (720p at around 300k file size) take a little to import. And then switching to full screen mode takes a little bit. But performance when running our game is exactly the same.

Next up on my list is changing so full screen is actual full screen (no fullscreen button, start, or stop) and esc just exits the full screen mode completely.
I may go back and implement global stage size variables as well so at some point should I choose to adjust the stage size its not a problem.

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Cool! How long did it take to do this?
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

nedens wrote:

About 6 hours or so. But that includes me attempting the 1080 and also learning how scratch is put together.

I did find a bug and will post the updated fix for it tomorrow. I can honestly say I don't understand why stage sizes are not just global variables. They have hard coded width and height of the stage and then half width and half height (actual values not just a calculation off of width and height variables) all over the place. Made changing things a bit of a nightmare. My guess is they never intended to change from the current size.

Implementing the dropdown menu to change the stage layout size (not the actual resolution of the stage but the size on the screen like the small stage option) was needed so if you are on a smaller resolution monitor you can still use this. On a larger resolution it absolutely rocks (even at 1080 monitor).

Higher res backgrounds (720p at around 300k file size) take a little to import. And then switching to full screen mode takes a little bit. But performance when running our game is exactly the same.

Next up on my list is changing so full screen is actual full screen (no fullscreen button, start, or stop) and esc just exits the full screen mode completely.
I may go back and implement global stage size variables as well so at some point should I choose to adjust the stage size its not a problem.

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Cool! How long did it take to do this?
Okay. Also, bug report: Paint editor is buggy on my Macbook with Retina Display. (I thought a higher screen resolution would help with that)
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

NoMod-Programming wrote:

nedens wrote:

About 6 hours or so. But that includes me attempting the 1080 and also learning how scratch is put together.

I did find a bug and will post the updated fix for it tomorrow. I can honestly say I don't understand why stage sizes are not just global variables. They have hard coded width and height of the stage and then half width and half height (actual values not just a calculation off of width and height variables) all over the place. Made changing things a bit of a nightmare. My guess is they never intended to change from the current size.

Implementing the dropdown menu to change the stage layout size (not the actual resolution of the stage but the size on the screen like the small stage option) was needed so if you are on a smaller resolution monitor you can still use this. On a larger resolution it absolutely rocks (even at 1080 monitor).

Higher res backgrounds (720p at around 300k file size) take a little to import. And then switching to full screen mode takes a little bit. But performance when running our game is exactly the same.

Next up on my list is changing so full screen is actual full screen (no fullscreen button, start, or stop) and esc just exits the full screen mode completely.
I may go back and implement global stage size variables as well so at some point should I choose to adjust the stage size its not a problem.

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Cool! How long did it take to do this?
Okay. Also, bug report: Paint editor is buggy on my Macbook with Retina Display. (I thought a higher screen resolution would help with that)


Hmm. Can you define buggy? I am also running on a Macbook but no real issues with the paint. But I can look at it. I know the stage dragging is broke. I will put up the updated file in the morning for that. But I wasn't aware of the paint broke. Let me know.
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Just uploaded the new version its at the same link.
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

nedens wrote:

Just uploaded the new version its at the same link.

This new version is what I am running (couldn't find a bug with paint mode at any layout stage size). Tested paint by painting on a blank backdrop, adding fonts, colored circles, and painted lines of different widths.

Stage is also fixed in this version so coordinates are right and dragging works correctly when dragging sprites around the stage.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

nedens wrote:

nedens wrote:

Just uploaded the new version its at the same link.

This new version is what I am running (couldn't find a bug with paint mode at any layout stage size). Tested paint by painting on a blank backdrop, adding fonts, colored circles, and painted lines of different widths.

Stage is also fixed in this version so coordinates are right and dragging works correctly when dragging sprites around the stage.
My bad. I should have been more clear: The bug with the paint editor was that it wouldn't zoom out completely.
EDIT: Also, ask prompter is too small to use.

Last edited by NoMod-Programming (Feb. 14, 2016 01:51:09)

Dylan5797
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

That's amazing!

There is one bug, preventing me from zooming out to see the full image when I'm editing a backdrop.







im so ocd about ip addresses


can you guess what my user icon is

new record


dylan beswick · writing · github · soundcloud

I enjoy coding, writing electronic music, building computers and servers, and playing the piano. I am a big fan of F-777's music, you should really check it out.

I have written a few semi-common pieces of code that are used in scratch projects, like scratchapi.

I'm kind of lonely, I'd like a bit of attention, if that's possible.












i maxed out geoguessr at 25,000 points – https://geoguessr.com/results/GiXQHzXVQSEeWiYT
i truly feel sorry for everybody else in my country
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Wow, that's awesome

$(".box-head")[0].textContent = "committing AT crimes since $whenever"
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

I'll work on the bug for zooming out. Pretty sure I know what that is. The variables showing on the stage as well as the ask are all still too small. I just found that and will see about putting up a new version tonight. If you find anything else let me know. Would rather the community here let me know than the kids in my class

@MegaApuTurkUltra Thanks!

@Dylan5797 working on those!

@NoMod-Programming thanks for the update hadn't caught that one!

Last edited by nedens (Feb. 14, 2016 19:44:06)

BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

This is really cool!

who needs signatures
herohamp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

This is amazing just because of this now my friends use it! They had always been complaining about how * the res was!
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

nedens wrote:

I'll work on the bug for zooming out. Pretty sure I know what that is. The variables showing on the stage as well as the ask are all still too small. I just found that and will see about putting up a new version tonight. If you find anything else let me know. Would rather the community here let me know than the kids in my class

@MegaApuTurkUltra Thanks!

@Dylan5797 working on those!

@NoMod-Programming thanks for the update hadn't caught that one!
No problem! I think this will be the most useful mod for 2.0 so far! Do you have a source on github or something? I would love to contribute!
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

NoMod-Programming wrote:

nedens wrote:

I'll work on the bug for zooming out. Pretty sure I know what that is. The variables showing on the stage as well as the ask are all still too small. I just found that and will see about putting up a new version tonight. If you find anything else let me know. Would rather the community here let me know than the kids in my class

@MegaApuTurkUltra Thanks!

@Dylan5797 working on those!

@NoMod-Programming thanks for the update hadn't caught that one!
No problem! I think this will be the most useful mod for 2.0 so far! Do you have a source on github or something? I would love to contribute!


So my git hub skills are…. well…. terrible.

I pulled the source from git hub but I guess I can go see how to make a repository this week.

Contributing would be great! So let me see what I can work out and I will update here.
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Put up a new version (same link). Fixed the variable sizes displaying on the stage.

Still trying to sort out the zoom stuff
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

Put up a new version. Same link. Fixed the size of the displayed variables on the stage.
nedens
New to Scratch
17 posts

HD 16:9 Scratch Stage Mod

NoMod-Programming wrote:

nedens wrote:

I'll work on the bug for zooming out. Pretty sure I know what that is. The variables showing on the stage as well as the ask are all still too small. I just found that and will see about putting up a new version tonight. If you find anything else let me know. Would rather the community here let me know than the kids in my class

@MegaApuTurkUltra Thanks!

@Dylan5797 working on those!

@NoMod-Programming thanks for the update hadn't caught that one!
No problem! I think this will be the most useful mod for 2.0 so far! Do you have a source on github or something? I would love to contribute!


Here is the git repository link
https://github.com/nick-edens/hacknscratch.git

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile