Discuss Scratch

M3W
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yokai Watch

Oh mah swirls!

"Let us bring back a legendary swordsman from a forgotten time. He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life. The benefits of this final battle outweigh the collateral damage."
MelonDoesScratch
Scratcher
1 post

Yokai Watch

I like Yo-Kai Watch! I only watch the anime. (sadly)
I dont have the game (even more sad)
My fave Yo-Kai is Jibanyan!

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3433/IlDN94.jpg
Dylanthepizzachef
Scratcher
53 posts

Yokai Watch

:3 meow more chaco Bars!!!!
icansing
Scratcher
2 posts

Yokai Watch

I love Youkai Watch!
ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

Okay, so WibWob has pretty much confirmed that they're even changing the names of the Classic Yokai, and can I just rant about that for a little bit?
I can understand changing everyone else's (except they seem to be keeping all the mascots the same, and I think I heard they already trademarked the name Usapyon in the west) but the Classic Yokai? No!
For those who don't know, the Classic Yokai are the Yokai from YW2 who aren't based on Yokai, but straight up ARE them (like Kappa, Hanako-san, etc.). These public-domain characters have been told as stories for generations and are VERY important to the Japanese culture. I mean, if you look around YW's fanbase it's like a small bit of little kids but mostly older fans who appreciate the cultural roots. But for a kid who doesn't know, it could teach them about what stories a kid across the world gets told before bed. The Classic Yokai could've been the doorway to a kid striking interest into the Japanese culture, but changing their names just almost whitewashes them in a way. Sure, go ahead and dub everyone else a different thing, but they shouldn't do it to the Classic Yokai. That's just me. And because I LOVE Hanako-San. She's my favorite Japanese urban legend and it's finally to see her portrayed as cute for once.

I am but a simple cartooning reindeer who loves Fujio Akatsuka.
yokaiwatch123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

yokaiwatch123
Scratcher
1000+ posts
M3W
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yokai Watch

WeeabooForever wrote:

Okay, so WibWob has pretty much confirmed that they're even changing the names of the Classic Yokai, and can I just rant about that for a little bit?
I can understand changing everyone else's (except they seem to be keeping all the mascots the same, and I think I heard they already trademarked the name Usapyon in the west) but the Classic Yokai? No!
For those who don't know, the Classic Yokai are the Yokai from YW2 who aren't based on Yokai, but straight up ARE them (like Kappa, Hanako-san, etc.). These public-domain characters have been told as stories for generations and are VERY important to the Japanese culture. I mean, if you look around YW's fanbase it's like a small bit of little kids but mostly older fans who appreciate the cultural roots. But for a kid who doesn't know, it could teach them about what stories a kid across the world gets told before bed. The Classic Yokai could've been the doorway to a kid striking interest into the Japanese culture, but changing their names just almost whitewashes them in a way. Sure, go ahead and dub everyone else a different thing, but they shouldn't do it to the Classic Yokai. That's just me. And because I LOVE Hanako-San. She's my favorite Japanese urban legend and it's finally to see her portrayed as cute for once.
They have a pretty good reason to change any of the names. For an average American kid, Japanese names are pretty hard to pronounce and remember. Having weird and easy to say names helps the target audience remember them and makes the Yo-Kai more recognizable here in the 'States.

"Let us bring back a legendary swordsman from a forgotten time. He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life. The benefits of this final battle outweigh the collateral damage."
DATAWSMYOSHI
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

Has anyone watched this Yo-Kai Watch Nintendo Direct video? Because I saw it again today…it made me laugh X3

“It is a marvel to exist outside the passage of fate. The lives created by Zanza and Meyneth inevitably attempt to escape the passage of fate. This signifies the beginning of their destruction. Meyneth accepted this, and entrusted the future of this world to you. Many times, your visions have allowed you to change the passage of fate. You saved the lives of those destined to die. Nothing that exists is perfect. It is a sad truth, but you can learn from it and begin the journey on a new path. Not Zanza's path, but one that you forged yourselves. So decide, Shulk. Will you walk the path layed out by Zanza? Or will you walk a new path?” - Alvis (Xenoblade Chronicles)
M3W
Scratcher
500+ posts

Yokai Watch

DATAWSMYOSHI wrote:

Has anyone watched this Yo-Kai Watch Nintendo Direct video? Because I saw it again today…it made me laugh X3
I was just getting that song out of my head and it's stuck in my head… AGAIN! Yo-kai, Yo-kai, Yo-kai Watch-chi-chi!

zombiezach
New to Scratch
24 posts

Yokai Watch

WAZZAT IS MEH FAV!!!
zombiezach
New to Scratch
24 posts

Yokai Watch

when I receive [Submit v]
say [I LIKE YOKAI WATCH IT IS COOL]
yokaiwatch123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

I Love Nayn All Stars

I REACHED 1000 POSTS!
Odd Squad Forum
Miiverse Posts Forum!
Archiverse
Hypnospace Outlaw Forum
Mother/Earthbound Fan for life
MSPA
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

I might be getting a Komasan or Jibanyan plushie for my birthday. (which is in four days, woo)
Apparently they are only seven inches tall.

ArimoTheReindeer
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

MSPA wrote:

I might be getting a Komasan or Jibanyan plushie for my birthday. (which is in four days, woo)
Apparently they are only seven inches tall.
That's about as big as I pictured them, if not smaller. They still are really cute though. I still don't have any.

I am but a simple cartooning reindeer who loves Fujio Akatsuka.
yokaiwatch123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

Now I Have The Yo-Kai Watch !

I REACHED 1000 POSTS!
Odd Squad Forum
Miiverse Posts Forum!
Archiverse
Hypnospace Outlaw Forum
Karkino
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yokai Watch

I'm fond of BOTH Yo-kai Watch and Pokemon and my favourite would have to be Baddinyan.
yokaiwatch123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

dance https://youtu.be/LLxEcTM99C0 to This

I REACHED 1000 POSTS!
Odd Squad Forum
Miiverse Posts Forum!
Archiverse
Hypnospace Outlaw Forum
DATAWSMYOSHI
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yokai Watch

M3W wrote:

DATAWSMYOSHI wrote:

I was just getting that song out of my head and it's stuck in my head… AGAIN! Yo-kai, Yo-kai, Yo-kai Watch-chi-chi!
Now it's stuck in my head again X3

“It is a marvel to exist outside the passage of fate. The lives created by Zanza and Meyneth inevitably attempt to escape the passage of fate. This signifies the beginning of their destruction. Meyneth accepted this, and entrusted the future of this world to you. Many times, your visions have allowed you to change the passage of fate. You saved the lives of those destined to die. Nothing that exists is perfect. It is a sad truth, but you can learn from it and begin the journey on a new path. Not Zanza's path, but one that you forged yourselves. So decide, Shulk. Will you walk the path layed out by Zanza? Or will you walk a new path?” - Alvis (Xenoblade Chronicles)
MetaKnight6
Scratcher
6 posts

Yokai Watch

I've created a studio where all yokai watch fans can hang out add projects and chat. Just ask me to become manager. (I'll instantly upgrade you to manager)