Discuss Scratch

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

You might think I'm crazy, but it's the majority of the problem on the forums. People persevere to make posts that don't say much at all just to raise their post count. The ST I know promotes making quality (You guys have to right? You promote featured (Well worked on) projects xD). If we all together remove the count. Here is a few reason separated:

1. No one (other than usually you) CARES. Great, you posted 1000 times such an achievement!! -_-

2. It puts almost a ranking system that Scratch doesn't want. Higher post count = greater Scratcher, which is not true. I am no better than the Scratcher with 20 posts.

3. Because of this system it causes people to make less quality and hate the 60 second rule. Removing it helps us benefit! It won't matter so we make a post of any type. In the end we'll decrease the amount of spam and low quality posts. I'm not saying it's going to remove ALL the issues, but it will help greatly!

4. Instead we can make a link for each scratcher that shows the total number of posts and a graph of their post count and post character average (Low priority ). People bragging won't be a problem because it's rude and against the guidelines. Plus, as per number 1: No one CARES.

(Sorta contradictory?)

I'm trying to prevent a stereotype, DON'T ARGUE THE STEREOTYPE! You aren't helping my discussion, if you feel like your answer is “Oh, I'd rather consult someone with 1000+ posts” please out of kindness: Leave, I understand you wish to add, but unless you give me good reasoning I'm going to ignore you ;)


Last edited by MathlyCat (Feb. 18, 2016 00:26:22)


Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words never hurt me.
Sheep_tester
Scratcher
500+ posts

Removing Post Count

Congrats on more than 500 posts!

Anyways, support. The exact post count should still be accessable somehow, maybe a statistics page or secret link?

The above post was most likely written by a sheep. Advertisements:
tiger75
Scratcher
100+ posts

Removing Post Count

Duplicate, except I think number 4 is a new idea.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein
Invisible_Factory
Scratcher
500+ posts

Removing Post Count

.

Sheep_tester wrote:

Congrats on more than 500 posts!

Anyways, support. The exact post count should still be accessable somehow, maybe a statistics page or secret link?
You can view exactly how many posts you have. Like me, 213 yesterday. If you go to “Show your topics/posts” in the bottom left corner of the discuss homepage, and click posts it shows the exact amount of posts you have.

Anyway, what if there was a way to disable the option of showing the amount of posts? Also, maybe it should automatically disable after 150+ posts or something.

Just Ideas, but I support if they don't remove the “Show your topics/posts” part.

Last edited by Invisible_Factory (Feb. 12, 2016 21:25:34)


Currently, I have 860 posts.
(Also, suggest things I should put on here. The white space is sad.)There's nothing else here. Just a white space. ↓





Zekrom01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

Support for post count visibility:
This user has 1265 posts…
1 - Full Post Count Showed: shows exact post count

User wrote:

Scratcher
1265 posts
2 - Incremented Post Count Showed: shows incremented post count

User wrote:

Scratcher
1000+ posts
3 - Post Count Hidden: no post count showed

User wrote:

Scratcher

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: Despacito 2 (Feat: Lil Pump) ───────────⚪────── ◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►⠀⠀ ⠀
-Cherri-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Removing Post Count

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.

Hiii! :3

I'm the one and only cherbear who loves helping newbies!
NoMod-Test
Scratcher
93 posts

Removing Post Count

-Cherri- wrote:

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.
??? But I have a few test accounts. My main account has 500+ posts, while my test accounts have less than 100. The number of posts doesn't matter for that either, as I could just have spammed them.

If I post here, then I forgot to log off of my test account.
-Cherri-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Removing Post Count

NoMod-Test wrote:

-Cherri- wrote:

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.
??? But I have a few test accounts. My main account has 500+ posts, while my test accounts have less than 100. The number of posts doesn't matter for that either, as I could just have spammed them.
Most people post on just one account. ^^

Hiii! :3

I'm the one and only cherbear who loves helping newbies!
Epicness123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

No support. Of course nobody cares about achievement great post count but you.
I have never seen anybody judge themselves and others by post count.
Post count is not the cause of hating the 60 second rule: we hate it because it prevents us from replying to someone faster.

Sadly, my kumquats were eaten by an evil forum signature.
#TeamScorbunny
-Cherri-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Removing Post Count

And, uhh.. your first reason contradicts all of the others. If no one cares, why would they care about the ranks? If no one cares, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule?

Hiii! :3

I'm the one and only cherbear who loves helping newbies!
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

Epicness123 wrote:

No support. Of course nobody cares about achievement great post count but you.
Post count is not the cause of hating the 60 second rule: we hate it because it prevents us from replying to someone faster.

-Cherri- wrote:

And, uhh.. your first reason contradicts all of the others. If no one cares, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule?
If no one cares about the post count, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule…?
Like Epicness said, it's more because we can't reply to someone faster.

I don't get this post count reasoning, anyway. It's basically saying that all (or at least most) people who don't write well-developed answers to posts are just trying to boost their post count. I know firsthand this is not true. There was once a time where I made a lot of terrible quality posts (this was before the AE era when no one really cared about anything, and I was pretty new, so don't judge here), but I never even considered the post count when I did this.

I have also never seen anyone judging others because of their post count *aka “I'm better than you!”*. Like you said, no one really cares, so there's no real judging going on except for forum experience, which is a useful thing to see because then you can better gauge the credibility of the user responding to your post. (Note that credibility does not equate greatness here. Just because a 1000 post Scratcher gives you a credible answer and a newcomer can't doesn't mean that the 1000 post Scratcher is better; it simply shows more familiarity with Scratch. I think we all have this common sense at least.)

So, no support.


jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

-Cherri- wrote:

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.
This.

Also, a lot of scratchers with low posts have worse quality posts (no grammar, spamming emojis) so it helps a little to know who's more likely to do that.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

Support, I personally think it should be hidden or made less evident, just like what happened to the Followers count.

Last edited by NoxSpooth (Feb. 12, 2016 04:58:31)

MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

jji10 wrote:

-Cherri- wrote:

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.
This.

Also, a lot of scratchers with low posts have worse quality posts (no grammar, spamming emojis) so it helps a little to know who's more likely to do that.
The stereotype I'm trying to prevent -_-

-Cherri- wrote:

And, uhh.. your first reason contradicts all of the others. If no one cares, why would they care about the ranks? If no one cares, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule?
No it doesn't. I'm pointing out reasons; they don't have to correlate to each other. In your world they can be contradictory. In the context of my post they're not.

Deerleg wrote:

Epicness123 wrote:

No support. Of course nobody cares about achievement great post count but you.
Post count is not the cause of hating the 60 second rule: we hate it because it prevents us from replying to someone faster.

-Cherri- wrote:

And, uhh.. your first reason contradicts all of the others. If no one cares, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule?
If no one cares about the post count, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule…?
Like Epicness said, it's more because we can't reply to someone faster.

I don't get this post count reasoning, anyway. It's basically saying that all (or at least most) people who don't write well-developed answers to posts are just trying to boost their post count. I know firsthand this is not true. There was once a time where I made a lot of terrible quality posts (this was before the AE era when no one really cared about anything, and I was pretty new, so don't judge here), but I never even considered the post count when I did this.

I have also never seen anyone judging others because of their post count *aka “I'm better than you!”*. Like you said, no one really cares, so there's no real judging going on except for forum experience, which is a useful thing to see because then you can better gauge the credibility of the user responding to your post. (Note that credibility does not equate greatness here. Just because a 1000 post Scratcher gives you a credible answer and a newcomer can't doesn't mean that the 1000 post Scratcher is better; it simply shows more familiarity with Scratch. I think we all have this common sense at least.)

So, no support.
Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't; the Scratch community isn't made up of clones…

I have seen way too many people (Including people with 100+ posts) look at people who have 1000+ posts and quote them without reason other than the child's way of thinking: Bigger number = Bigger knowledge.

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words never hurt me.
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

Sheep_tester wrote:

Congrats on more than 500 posts!

Anyways, support. The exact post count should still be accessable somehow, maybe a statistics page or secret link?
I've had 500+ for two months now…
Apparently it is:

Invisible_Factory wrote:

.

Sheep_tester wrote:

Congrats on more than 500 posts!

Anyways, support. The exact post count should still be accessable somehow, maybe a statistics page or secret link?
You can view exactly how many posts you have. Like me, 213 yesterday. If you go to “Show your topics/posts” in the bottom left corner of the discuss homepage, and click posts it shows the exact amount of posts you have.

Anyway, what if there was a way to disable the option of showing the amount of posts? Also, maybe it should automatically disable after 150+ posts or something.

Just Ideas, but I support if they don't remove the “Show your topics/posts” part.
What's the point in removing it at 150+ posts??? If it doesn't show you if you have 200 then why let it show you 100?

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words never hurt me.
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

NoxSpooth wrote:

Support, I personally think it should be hidden or made less evident, just like what happened to the Followers count.
As per this.

Sorry, this signature was blocked by your Internet provider. To access this signature, please upgrade your service plan (from $199.99/mo)
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

Deerleg wrote:

Epicness123 wrote:

No support. Of course nobody cares about achievement great post count but you.
Post count is not the cause of hating the 60 second rule: we hate it because it prevents us from replying to someone faster.

-Cherri- wrote:

And, uhh.. your first reason contradicts all of the others. If no one cares, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule?
If no one cares about the post count, why would it be the reason for people to hate the 60 second rule…?
Like Epicness said, it's more because we can't reply to someone faster.

I don't get this post count reasoning, anyway. It's basically saying that all (or at least most) people who don't write well-developed answers to posts are just trying to boost their post count. I know firsthand this is not true. There was once a time where I made a lot of terrible quality posts (this was before the AE era when no one really cared about anything, and I was pretty new, so don't judge here), but I never even considered the post count when I did this.

I have also never seen anyone judging others because of their post count *aka “I'm better than you!”*. Like you said, no one really cares, so there's no real judging going on except for forum experience, which is a useful thing to see because then you can better gauge the credibility of the user responding to your post. (Note that credibility does not equate greatness here. Just because a 1000 post Scratcher gives you a credible answer and a newcomer can't doesn't mean that the 1000 post Scratcher is better; it simply shows more familiarity with Scratch. I think we all have this common sense at least.)

So, no support.
This.



On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, different things that look alike
On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, many many things that look alike





Click the image for something special!

Wanna collab on something Sonic?
-Cherri-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Removing Post Count

MathlyCat wrote:

Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't; the Scratch community isn't made up of clones…

I have seen way too many people (Including people with 100+ posts) look at people who have 1000+ posts and quote them without reason other than the child's way of thinking: Bigger number = Bigger knowledge.

Well, scratchers with 1000+ posts DO have more experience..


MathlyCat wrote:

No it doesn't. I'm pointing out reasons; they don't have to correlate to each other. In your world they can be contradictory. In the context of my post they're not.

…Okay? You didn't answer the question though.

Last edited by -Cherri- (Feb. 14, 2016 21:53:59)


Hiii! :3

I'm the one and only cherbear who loves helping newbies!
jji10
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing Post Count

MathlyCat wrote:

jji10 wrote:

-Cherri- wrote:

No support. Even though a scratcher with 1000 posts may not be better than someone with 8, they have more experience in the forums. I like seeing who has experience in the forums, and who doesn't.
This.

Also, a lot of scratchers with low posts have worse quality posts (no grammar, spamming emojis) so it helps a little to know who's more likely to do that.
The stereotype I'm trying to prevent -_-
I also like to see who has experience on Scratch, so that I can get to know them better. I prefer not to talk with people who have under 30 posts since they are usually bots, annoying or spammers.

“Yipee, I did it!” the man said with glee,
“I've solved that darned riddle, I've solved it, you see!”
The sphinx simply smiled and shook her strange head,
“I'm afraid you're wrong, and therefore you're dead.”
Blank1234
Scratcher
500+ posts

Removing Post Count

Duplicate:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/119986/

Did you know that “kaj” means “and” in Esperanto?


















Totally not for SEO:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/85467306/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/83099266/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/81628056/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/81562288/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/81462110/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/81436112/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/78896920/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/78863998/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/76577776/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/76459270/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/74797364/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/74085188/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/73150274/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/73112658/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/72484040/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/72737486/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/72410420/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/72378152/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/71910314/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/67826618/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/67882676/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66909070/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66925858/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66420350/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/66062314/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/65564542/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64828196/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64286296/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/64283600/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/62386850/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63907584/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/62785306/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/63767660/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/62676562/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/61948978/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/62521426/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/61074988/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11658256/
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/60640274/

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile