Discuss Scratch

LionScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Scratch and Copyright Strikes?

So recently, I've been seeing a lot of news about scratch getting pounded with copyright strikes by music artists. But I know scratch is being used for education, so scratch is protected under “fair use”. But I've also noticed that the only thing some scratchers will do is somehow get a copyrighted song, get the copyrighted song cover, and just put it in a project. That doesn't sound like that should be allowed. Any thoughts on this?

ghost towns
footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionScratch wrote:

So recently, I've been seeing a lot of news about scratch getting pounded with copyright strikes by music artists. But I know scratch is being used for education, so scratch is protected under “fair use”. But I've also noticed that the only thing some scratchers will do is somehow get a copyrighted song, get the copyrighted song cover, and just put it in a project. That doesn't sound like that should be allowed. Any thoughts on this?

It's not allowed. You should report those projects. Copyrighted music can only be used as background music to a real project.

SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

LionScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

It's not allowed. You should report those projects. Copyrighted music can only be used as background music to a real project.
Ok. I'm surprised that people even use scratch just for that.

ghost towns
Red-Cloud
Scratcher
86 posts

Scratch is technically under the educational fair use, though some might argue that standpoint.

Red-Cloud 

"Make sense? What fun is there in making sense? It's really quite… boring." -Discord

SOUNDCLOUD:
                       soundcloud.com/bronydubz
poniesareso
Scratcher
100+ posts

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

What do you mean by that?

Cick dat kumqut!

PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

poniesareso wrote:

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

Me too. I've never seen ST rule out against those.

footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

poniesareso wrote:

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

If you create a project which has no other purpose than to play a piece of copyrighted music, then that is piracy. It is not “fair use”. Only fair use is allowed on Scratch. Fair use includes education, parody, background music… basically anything BUT just an excuse to put copyrighted music up.

This is what cheddargirl from the Scratch team had to say about it…

“…Well, this is a tricky issue. One the one hand, Scratch is considered to be for educational use, Scratch projects are free and the owner doesn't make a profit from it, and the quality of music is pretty degraded from the original file - so some would consider the use of copyrighted music in Scratch projects covered under Fair Use. However, we have gotten a few takedown notices before for music where we were forced to censor a project because of the music (very rare, but it does happen)…”

In other words, you will probably get away with it, but you are running the risk of making Scratch look like a piracy site if you make a project that does nothing else but play a piece of copyrighted music.

SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

Adelaide_Artist
New to Scratch
1 post

A lot of people just create projects for music, and add animations. Is that allowed?
EcIipsed
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Adelaide_Artist wrote:

A lot of people just create projects for music, and add animations. Is that allowed?

Yes, as the main point of those project isn't just the music, it's also the animation.

Please don't necropost!
FuturePr0
Scratcher
100+ posts

Adelaide_Artist wrote:

Please don't necro post.

BRUH
23ScratchMan
Scratcher
61 posts

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

But what if you credit the owner? Does that still protect your project since you clarified that it isn't your work?
KJRYoshi07
Scratcher
1000+ posts

23ScratchMan wrote:

footsocktoe wrote:

LionScratch wrote:

But what if you credit the owner? Does that still protect your project since you clarified that it isn't your work?
Hi there! Please don't necropost, as it bumps up “dead” topics, which can be seen as annoying. Thanks!

moved accounts lol
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Necroposted twice on the same topic. Wow.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.