when green flag clicked
say [hi every body]

wolfmoon006
Scratcher
17 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

DarkRaider5058 wrote:

Why Fire Trucks Are Red D
id you hear the one about the little girl who called the fire department because her house was on fire? The dispatcher asked how to get to her house, and she replied, “Duh! Big red truck!”

OK…so that’s an old joke, but it does reveal a common fact that many people WONDER about: why are fire trucks red? If you ask anyone to color a picture of a fire truck, they’ll most likely color it red. Why is that?

One popular answer to why fire trucks are red goes something like this: “Because they have eight wheels and four people on them, and four plus eight makes twelve, and there are twelve inches in a foot, and one foot is a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was also a ship, and the ship sailed the seas, and there were fish in the seas, and fish have fins, and the Finns fought the Russians, and the Russians are red, and fire trucks are always “Russian” around, so that’s why fire trucks are red!”

Of course, that’s just a joke with questionable logic. The real reason why fire trucks are red remains somewhat shrouded in mystery. There are, however, a few competing theories out there, one of which may contain some or most of the truth.

For example, one theory holds that fire trucks are red, because the earliest fire departments were made up of unpaid volunteers. These volunteers didn’t have much money, and red was the cheapest color of paint to use, so they painted their fire trucks red.

A competing theory dates back to the same time when fire departments were composed of unpaid volunteers. According to this other theory, however, there was fierce competition amongst the volunteer brigades of neighboring towns. Because red was the most expensive color of paint, volunteers used red to make their fire trucks stand out as a source of pride.

Of course, these two theories are related but opposite. Another theory holds that fire trucks were painted red to make them stand out from all the other vehicles on the road. In the early 1900s, Ford only offered cars in black, so red fire trucks would be sure to stand out amidst the sea of black vehicles on the road.

Standing out from the crowd is obviously a good quality for a fire truck — or any emergency vehicle — to have. But is red the best color to stand out, especially at night? Experts would say, “No!” Rather than red, studies have shown that yellow or lime green is most easily seen after dark.

Today, red remains by far the most popular color for fire trucks and a variety of other emergency vehicles. However, you will also see many other colors of fire trucks. For example, it’s not uncommon to see fire trucks that are white, yellow, blue, orange, green, and even black.

Wonder Contributors
WE’D LIKE TO THANK:
Daniel and Bradley
for contributing questions about today’s Wonder topic!
Keep WONDERing with us!
WHAT ARE YOU WONDERING?
Wonder Words (18)
TRUTH
UNPAID
PAINT
PRIDE
STAND
CROWD
LOGIC
COMPETING
VOLUNTEER
FIERCE
BRIGADE
AMIDST
DEPARTMENT
QUESTIONABLE
SHROUDED
NEIGHBORING
OBVIOUSLY
EMERGENCY
TAKE THE WONDER WORD CHALLENGE
DID YOU GET IT?
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Wonder What's Next?
Tomorrow’s Wonder of the Day is one of the sweetest you’ll ever taste!
Try It Out

We hope you enjoyed learning more about fire trucks today! Learn even more when you get a friend or family member to help you check out the following activities:

Is your home safe from a fire? With the help of an adult friend or family member, give your home a fire safety check-up. Do you have smoke detectors? Are their batteries fully charged? What about fire extinguishers? Do you know where to go in case of an emergency? Make sure everyone in your household knows where the exits are and what to do in case of an emergency. Share what you learn with someone else!Have you ever seen a fire truck up close? Now is the time! Ask an adult friend or family member to take you on a field trip to a local fire station. You’ll want to contact the fire station in advance to let them know you’d like to visit to learn more about fire trucks and fire safety. Plan a visit and then prepare some questions in advance that you would like to ask the firemen you meet. Have fun touring the fire station and getting to know more about fire trucks!Now that you know a bit more about fire trucks, have you ever WONDERed exactly how they work? Do some Internet research by reading through How Fire Engines Work. Write down at least five interesting facts to share with a friend or family member. Do you see any ways in which fire trucks could be improved? Use your imagination to develop a few possible improvements that could be made to the fire truck. Have fun!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh…. WHA?????

#warrior wolves!
colour3
Scratcher
5 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
wolfmoon006
Scratcher
17 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

colour3 wrote:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Exactly

#warrior wolves!
gamer6627
Scratcher
19 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

when green flag clicked
move (100) steps
play sound [pop v]
ask [can you pleas like me] and wait
adasjal
Scratcher
4 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

Can i know how to make sprite jump????????
when green flag clicked
think [How to make Sprites Jump?????????????????//] for (2) secs
GenieEnchanted
Scratcher
29 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

if <ceebee does something awesome> then
say [YAY!!] for (2) secs

end

Stars can't shine without darkness
ella12345678
Scratcher
68 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

I'm booooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddd………………………………………..
alextinobt2
Scratcher
26 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

im bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddd
--t--h--e--i--f--_12
Scratcher
9 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

when green flag clicked
play sound [minecraft_pocket-edition v] until done
forever
if <(minecraft_version) = [0.14.0 ]> then
set [new stuff v] to [dispenser (ms) ]

end
end

Last edited by --t--h--e--i--f--_12 (Feb. 26, 2016 21:21:11)

ella12345678
Scratcher
68 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
brookelily13
Scratcher
78 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

jadenw546 wrote:

brookelily13 wrote:

wolfmoon006 wrote:

brookelily13 wrote:

cotclm wrote:

cotclm wrote:

brookelily13 wrote:

wolfmoon006 wrote:

brookelily13 wrote:

Doing a YouTube Video about us chatting on scratch who wanna join ???
doing a youtube? Cool! I will join!
okay
il do it to
what is that anyway
Youtube vid being done today

Can i join? PLZ!!!!!!
yeh sure

I join
sure
ella12345678
Scratcher
68 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

bbbbbbbbbbbooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddd
natyng100
Scratcher
5 posts

New Scratch Blog Series

hhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Nerdytomboy
Scratcher
100+ posts

New Scratch Blog Series

Wassup my peeps! Its Chl- i mean Nerdytomboy here!!!!!!!!! Nothin much but su=ittin here with me good friend @bigweirdo

Remember the Alamo
Bryan007
Scratcher
100+ posts

New Scratch Blog Series

can you guess what project this is?
when green flag clicked
go to x: (0) y: (-65)
hide variable [height v]
ask [How high do you want me to be] and wait
set [height v] to ((answer) * (3))
change y by (height)
set [height v] to ((height) - (((height) * (135)) / (134)))
repeat until <[-111] > (y position)>
repeat until <[-65] > (y position)>
change y by (-3)
wait (1e-21) secs
end
change [height v] by ((height)-(-1.07))
glide (0.12) secs to x: (0) y: (height)
end

quit w

i'll probably only check my scratch account every year or two. if you want to leave me a message, feel free to drop it in my comments, under my profile.
Bryan007
Scratcher
100+ posts

New Scratch Blog Series

Bryan007 wrote:

Bryan007 wrote:

when green flag clicked
hide variable [height v]
change y by (height)
change y by (-3)
wait (1e-21) secs
end
end

quit w

i'll probably only check my scratch account every year or two. if you want to leave me a message, feel free to drop it in my comments, under my profile.
Bryan007
Scratcher
100+ posts

New Scratch Blog Series

Bryan007 wrote:

Bryan007 wrote:

Bryan007 wrote:

when green flag clicked
hide variable [height v]
change y by (height)
change y by (-3)
wait (1e-21) secs
end
end

when green flag clicked
hide variable [height v]
change y by (height)
set [height v] to ((height) - (((height) * (154)) / (153)))
change y by (-3)
wait (1e-21) secs
end
play sound [tom drum v]
end

quit w