Fonts and Typography

its humanist

NeilWest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

stevetheipad wrote:

I barf when I see comic sans.
If that was true than I'd have to spend every day in school constantly vomiting out my mass.

Gravitation
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Zaneki wrote:

The double-barring on some of the letters makes it unique, but they also look out of place, and they confuse the eye a little (perhaps a bit too thin?)
Still an attractive font, though.
I agree, but I have no idea how to keep that element without making it that way ;-;

somelia wrote:

Oooh, pwetty

I do typography too, though I'm not very good at it.
Thanks D

Have you tried using Inkscape's node manipulation feature?

nathanprocks wrote:

That font looks nice. You should submit it to Google Fonts when it is complete.
I was planning to. xD

stevetheipad wrote:

Fonts are underrated. Often times I see people just quickly slapping a font on to their work without a second thought. The truth is that typography can be the difference between a consumer doing something or not so I definitely think spending a few minutes to find a good font is worth it.

I also think people use bloated fonts too much, ones that are too fancy or distracting. The point of typography is to assist the words, not the other way around.
+1

stevetheipad wrote:

+1

trinary
Scratcher
96 posts

Fonts and Typography

This looks quite nice. It's very distinctive and soft.
It isn't very legible at smaller sizes though and the kerning needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by trinary (Oct. 14, 2013 17:51:56)

Please,
Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Gravitation wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

+1
So true.

AND THEN I NOTICED IT.

In it's full sucking and horrifying glory

there it stood

Comic Sans

on my orchestra paper sheets.
Gravitation
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

trinary wrote:

This looks quite nice. It's very distinctive and soft.
It isn't very legible at smaller sizes though and the kerning needs to be adjusted, though.
Ty
Higher weights will work well for small text and I'm going to adjust the kerning once the glyphs are complete.

@mewly lol :c

Last edited by Gravitation (Oct. 14, 2013 13:06:06)

Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

OMG GUYS GUYS YOU WON'T BELIEVE.

MY BIG HISTORY TEST WAS WRITTEN IN COMIC SANS. NO FREAKING KIDDING.

I GUARANTEE YOU I WILL GET A C.
Gravitation
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Mewly wrote:

omg the insanity

luiysia
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Mewly wrote:

lots of teachers use comic sans because it's really easily readable, especially for people with learning disabilities like dyslexia - it looks like normal handwriting, with none of the nonsense in normal fonts with the weird a's and g's (g's especially in serif fonts). grade school teachers use it because it doesn't confuse younger children just learning to write with weird serifs and curls and stuff.

It’s such a little thing to weep—
So short a thing to sigh—
And yet—by Trades—the size of these
We men and women die!

- Emily Dickinson
stevetheipad
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

lots of teachers use comic sans because it's really easily readable, especially for people with learning disabilities like dyslexia - it looks like normal handwriting, with none of the nonsense in normal fonts with the weird a's and g's (g's especially in serif fonts). grade school teachers use it because it doesn't confuse younger children just learning to write with weird serifs and curls and stuff.
That may be. Nevertheless, though, the use of comic sans is announcing to the world you are a “typography noob” and there are better alternatives for easy-to-read fonts.

i miss the old days
glue-gun
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

stevetheipad wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

That may be. Nevertheless, though, the use of comic sans is announcing to the world you are a “typography noob” and there are better alternatives for easy-to-read fonts.
I don't think teachers really need to worry about being “typography noobs”.

Scratch profile (no projects yet, but there will be soon!)
stevetheipad
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

glue-gun wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

I disagree. Teachers can use fonts to engage students and if used wrong, they can distract the students. So it's important to use them well even for teachers.

i miss the old days
dontbombiraq
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

stevetheipad wrote:

glue-gun wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

I disagree. Teachers can use fonts to engage students and if used wrong, they can distract the students. So it's important to use them well even for teachers.
no
most students aren't “engaged” by a specific font

stevetheipad
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

dontbombiraq wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

glue-gun wrote:

stevetheipad wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

no
most students aren't “engaged” by a specific font
Some people think so.

i miss the old days
luiysia
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

comic sans doesn't really have anything wrong with it, it's just super overused and kind of childish, which isn't really a fault when producing material meant for, you know, children. also, the article you linked doesn't name specific fonts or even types of fonts like handwriting fonts or whatever as bad or good - it just tells you to change it up, so you don't have a page of bland, monotonous text and nothing else.
writing meant for children is generally supposed to be friendly, open, and simple, which comic sans is, albeit a little stylized to look like handwriting. though I do agree that teachers should use some other fonts, especially for older children who can read any non-wingding fonts just fine.

edit: also note that the article you linked is for online teachers that communicate with students exclusively through text, so font choice is probably much more important.

Last edited by luiysia (Oct. 15, 2013 03:04:09)

It’s such a little thing to weep—
So short a thing to sigh—
And yet—by Trades—the size of these
We men and women die!

- Emily Dickinson
scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

luiysia wrote:

, especially for older children who can read any non-wingding fonts just fine.
You just gave me a great idea!

I am a Lava Expert
kingdragon
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

I prefer not to think of dyslexia as a “disability”, being that I am a dyslexic myself.

Last edited by kingdragon (Oct. 15, 2013 05:00:29)

glue-gun
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

kingdragon wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

I prefer not to think of dyslexia as a “disability”, being that I am a dyslexic myself.
Despite how you prefer to think about it, dyslexia is scientifically categorised as a learning disability. You can't change the facts.

Scratch profile (no projects yet, but there will be soon!)
Mewly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

kingdragon wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Mewly wrote:

OMG I'm so sorry kingdragon. D: