Discuss Scratch

zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

Root Productions | Recruiting Artists, Advertisers, Managers, and FTL fans!

Hallo

mini-sip-of-gold
Scratcher
18 posts

This is dead right
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mini-sip-of-gold wrote:

This is dead right
Not really. Zuwel and I work on it… we just don't use the thread.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
mattsmithdw2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump a doodle doo!

zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

Uh… Hi?

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zuwel wrote:

Uh… Hi?
Hello. I'm still working on this btw. xD

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

braxbroscratcher wrote:

zuwel wrote:

Uh… Hi?
Hello. I'm still working on this btw. xD
Good

stryer21
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What management positions have you had in the past? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/198887/ , shop manager, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/206213/ , owner, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/188517/, manager, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/199024/ , owner
How often can you be available? of the day on the weekends, afternoons on weekdays
How responsible and loyal are you? on a scale of ten, 8.5

-FrozenFlame-
Scratcher
100+ posts

stryer21 wrote:

What management positions have you had in the past? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/198887/ , shop manager, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/206213/ , owner, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/188517/, manager, https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/199024/ , owner
How often can you be available? of the day on the weekends, afternoons on weekdays
Unrelated

Request to close this thread?

Hi! Bonjour! 你好!
(Kumquat) //This is Kumquat, my kumquat protector... wait what?

^^^ click that to join the competition! Hosted by me and co-hosted by Amazeheartsoflove
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-FrozenFlame- wrote:

stryer21 wrote:

Unrelated

Request to close this thread?
That's actually the manager app… I'm thinking it over.

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Okay guys. So… After having an argument with my dad, I realized that we could be sued by the makers of FTL for millions of copies of their games the minute we release this. As a result, I am making new rules. If the object of our work strays too close to what anything existing is like, I will kick them from the collaboration for a week.

Use nothing patented, nothing copyrighted, nothing trademarked, and so on. Violation of this rule will get you banned from the collaboration.

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Okay guys. So… After having an argument with my dad, I realized that we could be sued by the makers of FTL for millions of copies of their games the minute we release this. As a result, I am making new rules. If the object of our work strays too close to what anything existing is like, I will kick them from the collaboration for a week.

Use nothing patented, nothing copyrighted, nothing trademarked, and so on. Violation of this rule will get you banned from the collaboration.
Just to add my two cents… (and to be clear I am not arguing with you, just putting out my opinion on the matter)

I doubt that we are at any risk of being sued. All shared scratch projects are licensed under Creative Commons Share-Alike license (CC-BY-SA) and since we are not making “FTL” exactly like the real game is and selling it for some monetary value we can generally do what we want with it (within reason and morality) without any risk. I completely agree that we should not use any assets from the game (or any outside source) but I think that being scared away from making a game because something like it was already done is in some sense sad. The idea of FTL is not patented, only executed in the form of a game. Releasing this game (on Scratch nonetheless) , for free and under a different name (or it could even be under the same name and presented as a fan game) will not result in us having to enter in a legal battle with the creator(s) of FTL. FTL is an indie game and a lot of the time indie devs are accepting and will be more than pleased that they inspired another game. I believe that we should continue development of our game as is.

TL;DR - We shouldn't change the games direction out of baseless fears.

*drops mic*

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zuwel wrote:

braxbroscratcher wrote:

Just to add my two cents… (and to be clear I am not arguing with you, just putting out my opinion on the matter)

I doubt that we are at any risk of being sued. All shared scratch projects are licensed under Creative Commons Share-Alike license (CC-BY-SA) and since we are not making “FTL” exactly like the real game is and selling it for some monetary value we can generally do what we want with it (within reason and morality) without any risk. I completely agree that we should not use any assets from the game (or any outside source) but I think that being scared away from making a game because something like it was already done is in some sense sad. The idea of FTL is not patented, only executed in the form of a game. Releasing this game (on Scratch nonetheless) , for free and under a different name (or it could even be under the same name and presented as a fan game) will not result in us having to enter in a legal battle with the creator(s) of FTL. FTL is an indie game and a lot of the time indie devs are accepting and will be more than pleased that they inspired another game. I believe that we should continue development of our game as is.

TL;DR - We shouldn't change the games direction out of baseless fears.

*drops mic*
Not saying we should. But we should certainly tread lightly here.

However, they do allow mods of their game, so long as it contains no game assets, so as long as we avoid their game assets, we should be fine.

Basically, if you can't comprehend what I just said; We should be careful, but we should be fine as long as we do so.

Last edited by braxbroscratcher (Oct. 10, 2016 19:15:03)

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
zuwel
Scratcher
500+ posts

braxbroscratcher wrote:

*snip

However, they do allow mods of their game, so long as it contains no game assets, so as long as we avoid their game assets, we should be fine.

Basically, if you can't comprehend what I just said; We should be careful, but we should be fine as long as we do so.
Agreed

braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zuwel wrote:

braxbroscratcher wrote:

*snip

Agreed
I'm glad you get where I'm coming from. Want to use my streamlined multi-list array system to make a storage system for various crew stats? I'm gonna work on a single-list array thingy, so you can also wait for that.

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
-FrozenFlame-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ahem, the PacMan situation?
Sorry for the necrobump.

We should stay a distance away from FTL, like some different systems and a different playstyle.

Is this… inactive? Or is it ok-active?

Hi! Bonjour! 你好!
(Kumquat) //This is Kumquat, my kumquat protector... wait what?

^^^ click that to join the competition! Hosted by me and co-hosted by Amazeheartsoflove
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-FrozenFlame- wrote:

Ahem, the PacMan situation?
Sorry for the necrobump.

We should stay a distance away from FTL, like some different systems and a different playstyle.

Is this… inactive? Or is it ok-active?
Sorta. Also, I have addressed this. We have agreed it is fine to tread in the same region as FTL, so long as we are careful.

If nothing else, I have an overhaul for crew planned. I'm talking more stats, crew equipment, personality bonuses (e.g. certain crew won't work as well in rooms with each other), and randomized base stats.

Last edited by braxbroscratcher (Oct. 27, 2016 00:21:47)

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have culled the inactive users.

But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a