Discuss Scratch

gabrielgabriel
Scratcher
11 posts

How to crop sprites properly

Im having a quite serious problem. I have never used Scratch 2.0 to make a game with sprites from other pages and I just noticed that you cant crop sprites from sheets… well you can, but everytime I do it, the desired costume is in another position! This didnt use to happen in 1.4 as I remember, and I cant make my game without those sprites. So the question is, how do I crop them so they stay in the center? Im sorry if I cant explain very well but english isnt my main tongue and its very late in here so Im kind of tired… Please help! This is very important for me
awesome-llama-test
Scratcher
100+ posts

There is a button on the top-right of the costume editor with a + on it. Click that, and you can click the costume to move that spot to the center.

This is awesome-llama's test account.
Kongu84
Scratcher
100+ posts

As llama said, there is a tool for this, but I don't really know how to use that. What I usually do is select and drag to the middle. This can sometimes be a bit off, but it looks fine. I am currently using Scratch 1.4 because of me not having Adobe Flash player, and I am usually just drawing and such, but I can't get the center tool to work on it.
deck26
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's set up differently in Scratch 1.4 but still works much the same. Zoom in to set it more accurately. What happens when you try to use it?
gabrielgabriel
Scratcher
11 posts

I will try what Llama said (thank you!), but this is what happens Deck (I don't know how to reply here):

If I try to do this, for example:

when green flag clicked
forever

next costume
wait (0.1) secs
end

The character moves from its starting position to another one
deck26
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gabrielgabriel wrote:

I will try what Llama said (thank you!), but this is what happens Deck (I don't know how to reply here):

when green flag clicked
forever

next costume
wait (0.1) secs
end

You do realise that you need to centre each costume individually? Go to the costume editor and go through the costumes one by one and reset the centres.
gabrielgabriel
Scratcher
11 posts

deck26 wrote:

gabrielgabriel wrote:

when green flag clicked
forever

next costume
wait (0.1) secs
end

You do realise that you need to centre each costume individually? Go to the costume editor and go through the costumes one by one and reset the centres.
Thank you all! I realised it. But there are just so much costumes and to do it I have to be veeery careful… but well, if that's the only way to do it, it's better than anything, I guess, thank you! But if someone has a better way, I beg you, please tell me.
footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The only better way would be to use a program like Photoshop to cut apart your sprite sheet and get them all lined up correctly and then turn them into an animated GIF that you could upload to Scratch with one click.

SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

gabrielgabriel
Scratcher
11 posts

footsocktoe wrote:

The only better way would be to use a program like Photoshop to cut apart your sprite sheet and get them all lined up correctly and then turn them into an animated GIF that you could upload to Scratch with one click.
It's possible to upload gifs in Scratch?
footsocktoe
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gabrielgabriel wrote:

footsocktoe wrote:

Yes, both regular GIFs and animated GIFs.

As long as the animated GIF is the right size (less than 480x360) and not too many frames (I've heard up to a hundred works) then Scratch will automatically assign the frames of the animated GIF to costumes.

SHOOT THE SPACE MONSTERS! ….. A game everyone can play! Bright colors, bonky sounds!
THE 12 BALLS OF CRAZY AL ……. New scrolling adventure game!

gabrielgabriel
Scratcher
11 posts

footsocktoe wrote:

gabrielgabriel wrote:

footsocktoe wrote:

Yes, both regular GIFs and animated GIFs.

As long as the animated GIF is the right size (less than 480x360) and not too many frames (I've heard up to a hundred works) then Scratch will automatically assign the frames of the animated GIF to costumes.
That is amazing. I never thought they would implement that feature. Thank you.
warper7
New to Scratch
1 post

So I understand that this programe has been updated but im trying to edit the face of of this pic for a custom skin. how do i do this
deck26
Scratcher
1000+ posts

warper7 wrote:

So I understand that this programe has been updated but im trying to edit the face of of this pic for a custom skin. how do i do this
Please create your own new topic rather than necroposting. You're more likely to get a response. But you need to provide a link to your project and give more information.
xxxNIGXTBonniexxx
New to Scratch
1 post

gabrielgabriel wrote:

You can use the eraser to hand crop things.
BytesYT
Scratcher
48 posts

can a st member close this topic
thegodgameboi123
Scratcher
1 post

Wyan100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Um aren't we on Scratch 3.0 now? Am I missing something?

"But don't quote me on it!" - Wyan100, 2020
OscarTheBest_123
Scratcher
2 posts

OscarTheBest_123
Scratcher
2 posts

I just make it smaller. problem solved.

(I know it wont help, but that's what I did.)
deck26
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is a very old topic, please don't necropost.